1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Electric Fan For 1998 F150 4.6 Auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:42 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
The E-fan solution is what the factory has gone to. Go to the dealership and look. E-fans are being used in order to achieve the mpg and hp ratings that are being claimed. I see the new vehicles at the shop and I've noted the change. There is a added advantage in that the E-fan adds more room between the engine and the cooling system reducing the amount of damage in the event of a front end impact.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 AM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 119 Likes on 106 Posts
there have been several improvvements in the 5.4 motor since 1997. The electric fan is among the changes. Most changes you would hope can add to the milage claims. If you were saying there was a factory test where the electric fan added .2 MPG to the total, most would believe. To say it adds 2-3 MPG is false. Take the factory fan off you truck and drive it ont eh highway for a couple days and see what extra you get-- same thing. Your also working the alternator harder to run that fan. How about taking the alternator off and getting another 3 MPG? You can plug into a charger at night and recharge?

Old 11-22-2009, 09:33 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They are using e-fans on all FWD models, and yes some RWD stuff, but these are factory e-fans. There is a huge difference between a factory e-fan, and a one size fits all. The factory fan is generally thicker, with larger blades. The blades have an optimum angle so they can more more air. The electrical system is designed to handle the extra load too. If you look at some of these new cars, they are pulling out other tricks too, not just fans. Several models now use electronic PS pumps, and AC compressors. It is taking all of these to meet the new CAFE standards. All of these mods are only good for a couple mpg. As for the horsepower, these new engines are producing more horsepower, so they are not quick because they have less parasitic loss.

I'm still sticking by my original opinion. An aftermarket e-fan is not a good investment. There are too many cheap parts, too many points of failure. You loose a fuse, a relay, a loose connection, a bad temp sensor, anything, and the fan doesn't come on. No fan means it is harder to keep the engine cool.

The stock fan in contrast is overbuilt so that it fails safe. They really don't fail that often. The fan is designed to reduce parasitic loss. If the fan were to get stuck on, it might draw as much as 4 hp. Because it has a viscous clutch, it in actually use draws 1-3 hp.

Now this being said, I might consider e-fans, but I am not relying on a single set of cheap aftermarket fans. I already have some pusher fans on the front that are triggered by the AC comp and have a temp sensor that kicks on when the coolant reaches a certain point. If I replace my stock fan, I am using a top of the line unit, with an independent controller and an emergency switch. It would have a total of 4 fans on the system. But before I even consider this, i would need to upgrade my electrical system too. Bigger more powerful alternator would be a must.

From a strictly mpg point of view, how much would I hope to gain, maybe 1/2 mpg. I would not gain enough power to even notice. An awful lot of expense for very little gain. As I mentioned before, and underdrive pulley set would be a better bang for the buck.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:56 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
the extra 3 MPG with the fan is BS also.
Every vehicle I have worked on that we have swapped out the clutch fan for an electric has picked up 2-3 mpg.
EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.
JL

Old 11-23-2009, 08:41 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
And by what means have you measured this increase? Has every K&N filter you put on increased mileage too? I bet those tornados have worked pretty well too. There is what is known as the placebo effect. If you spent good money on a modification, you will not be willing to accept that it may not have had the effect you wanted. Had a friend who installed a performance mod, swore that he picked up more HP. The mod was one o those cheap $20 eBay chips. His truck did get a deeper more aggressive sound, he also claimed he got better gas mileage. Over time however, he learned that unmodified stock vehicles were both getting better gas mileage and had more power at takeoff.

I know that e-fans do that the advantage, they do not put a drain on the engine when they are not needed, and you have to turn an alternator continuously. However, even at current gas prices, it would take a while to save the money on your investment, and furthermore, if you loose even one component, the system does work at all. I will surprise you how quickly a V8 stuck in traffic with no fan can overheat in the hot summer. If you were very vigilant, you could get off the road and let things cool down before permanent damage is done. I have several family members who have had heat gasket blown because simple components of e-fans failed. My sister had a '94 Civic, which amazingly had 2 components fail simultaneously. She lost both the temp sensor (which is not shared with the gauge) and the relay. She ended up learning about it while stuck in traffic in July. Her head gasket blew. She said she looked at the gauges, noticed it was a little warm, looked back at traffic a little while, and next time she glanced at the gauges, the temp was pegged out. She shut the car off since traffic wasn't moving, but by the time she got home, the damage was done.

You have to weigh the risks against the benefits and decide if you are willing to do that. And remember, most aftermarket kits do not use nearly as high quality components as OE manufacturers would.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:05 AM
robjs111
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what electric fan do u recommend for a 98 F150 4.6, auto trans?
Thanks.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by KhanTyranitar
And by what means have you measured this increase? Has every K&N filter you put on increased mileage too? I bet those tornados have worked pretty well too. There is what is known as the placebo effect. If you spent good money on a modification, you will not be willing to accept that it may not have had the effect you wanted. Had a friend who installed a performance mod, swore that he picked up more HP. The mod was one o those cheap $20 eBay chips. His truck did get a deeper more aggressive sound, he also claimed he got better gas mileage. Over time however, he learned that unmodified stock vehicles were both getting better gas mileage and had more power at takeoff.

I know that e-fans do that the advantage, they do not put a drain on the engine when they are not needed, and you have to turn an alternator continuously. However, even at current gas prices, it would take a while to save the money on your investment, and furthermore, if you loose even one component, the system does work at all. I will surprise you how quickly a V8 stuck in traffic with no fan can overheat in the hot summer. If you were very vigilant, you could get off the road and let things cool down before permanent damage is done. I have several family members who have had heat gasket blown because simple components of e-fans failed. My sister had a '94 Civic, which amazingly had 2 components fail simultaneously. She lost both the temp sensor (which is not shared with the gauge) and the relay. She ended up learning about it while stuck in traffic in July. Her head gasket blew. She said she looked at the gauges, noticed it was a little warm, looked back at traffic a little while, and next time she glanced at the gauges, the temp was pegged out. She shut the car off since traffic wasn't moving, but by the time she got home, the damage was done.

You have to weigh the risks against the benefits and decide if you are willing to do that. And remember, most aftermarket kits do not use nearly as high quality components as OE manufacturers would.
I do not use aftermarket garbage fans.
A properly designed system will not have failures like the aftermarket "kit in a box" junk has. The gains are real. Whether they're worth it to YOU or not is subjective,but nevertheless,they are real.
JL

Old 11-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by robjs111
what electric fan do u recommend for a 98 F150 4.6, auto trans?
Thanks.
On the '98 F150 that I had-I used an OEM '97 Tbird fan mounted in the OEM F150 shroud.I controlled it with a Derale 16749 controller(it has the threaded temp sensor), and a high-power Bosch/Tyco 75A relay to actually power than fan when the controller commanded fan "on". Nothing the aftermarket has will last and move as much air as OEM fans.
JL

Old 11-24-2009, 02:08 AM
1975IH200
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem with the fans for sale on ebay is that they are selling only the fans. You will also need a proper size/shape fan shroud, fan controller, wiring, in-line fuse & fuse holder, thermostat and some mounts & mounting hardware. By the time you figure this out and find parts etc. you will have a lot of time & $$$ into it.

Or you could by a Flex-A-Lite dual fan system for about $400, and have everything you need in one box. Summit, Jegs, etc.

The T-Bird fan (above) sounds like a good solution. You could probably find one in a junkyard for a reasonable price.

If you are looking for good gas mileage, buy a bicycle, not an F-150 truck.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:21 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Another problem with the cheap fans on eBay and the ones at your local parts stores, is they are rating the CFM without load, and they are meant to pull air through a single core radiator like those found on small lightweight cars. Trucks have much larger thicker radiators, and those CFM ratings will drop way down. On a truck like yours, I would look for much higher CFM ratings and more expensive fans. Something more like this is getting loser to what you would need.

Perma-Cool 19510 - Perma-Cool Cool Pack Electric Fans - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Flex-a-lite 270 - Flex-a-lite Monster Direct Fit Electric Fans - Overview - SummitRacing.com
or
Perma-Cool 19511 - Perma-Cool Cool Pack Electric Fans - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Old 06-13-2010, 05:00 PM
hulker28
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installation instructions

Just wondering for those who've done the mod if you know where I can get some installation instruction and what I'll need and where should I get them?

Thanks
Ben