General Automotive Discussion

Sidewalls are beginning to crack

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:24 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,230 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
This morning I went back to the tire store and had the manager pull up my invoice then come outside and inspect the tires for me.

The build date on the tires is 10th week of 2007. I bought the tires in the 21st week of 2007 leaving only 11 weeks of storage time. The tires only have 22k miles on them and are all wearing evenly.

After the inspection, we went back in and filled out some warranty claim paperwork for Yokohama which will be submitted today. There will be a pro-rate but it's a helluva lot better than paying full price again.

If I'm not satisfied with Yoko's offer via the tire store, then I'll deal with them directly. Biut the tires have to be changed for me to feel safe.

This tire store should remodel. Thier business desk, showroom and waiting room are all in one. Once I mentioned cracked tires and we started talking about build dates and such, everyone got spooked qand demanded re-inspections of their tires.

Once again, thanks to the fine folks at FTE, I was able to intelligently and confidently approach this situation.

Thanks everyone for sharing.

Tim
Just to quickly re-visit and suimmarize.

Yoko will pro-rate my tires based on the remaining tread and not on the miles driven.

The existing Yoko's came with an 11/32 tread and the back tires have 9/32 remaining and the fronts have 8/32.

I'm looking at about $175.00 out the door for four new Yoko AVID HT/S. Not too bad I suppose since they are about 30 months old with 24K miles on them. Since they are considered a wear item, I shouldn't be too upset.

Tim

Old 01-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some interesting (if not downright intriguing) points that come out in this discussion are that older tires appear to have had more "WEAR RESISTENT" composition for whatever reason.

ALSO there are "ANTI OXIDATION" chemicals applied to them - WHAT ARE THEY? Can we get them? Can we RE-APPLY them at a user/owner level? And will that help...

Another point not specifically stated in all of this is: DO YOU KNOW HOW TO TELL WHEN YOUR TIRES WERE MADE?

100% KUDOS to Tim for knowing how to read the D.O.T. stamp on a tire, so as to know EXACTLY when it was made (if the information on the stamp has not been falsified)

I suggest highly that you all do a google (or similar) search on DOT TIRE STAMPS so that you know what they are telling you....

Also:

What is the load rating?
What is the SPEED rating all about....
What is "TIRE PLY"
What do the different kinds of tire COMPOUNDS wear like?
How are RAIN TIRES different from snow or hot weather tires?
What is an "ALL WEATHER" tire? (It's truthfully a compromise)
What are "STUDDED" tires?
Are RADIALS better in some cases, but not in others?
What should you know about tires, before purchasing an AWD?
How should different kinds of tires be "ROTATED"?
Are there things (substances, such as oils) that attack tire rubber integrity?

Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Older tires had more ozone resistance, plain and simple. I found a pair of H70-14 snow tires behind the shop I worked at, and since they fit I put them on my Courier. Last three of the DOT are 213, 21st week of I'm going to guess 83. Almost 30years old, and while they have started cracking a little, I have put over 3000miles on them with no ill effects. They replaced a pair of Hercules Alltracs that were 15years old. One of those started loosing air through the sidewall, and blew out on the highway.
I tend to run my tires as far as possible since I really don't have the money to keep replacing them. I usually start out with used tires to begin with.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:27 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Ok, to close the loop on this one, I got my four new Yoko's on this morning. My road hazard warranties transfered over and the Yokohama factory warranty also starts over.

So, I got $468.00 worth of tires and warranties for $167.00 out the door. I still don't consider this win as I expected the original Yoko's to last, but, it could have been worse. You can't place a value on one's safety.

Tim

Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
New tires at 35% of total cost of $468.00. 4 years of use and 42% of the warrantied mileage. Maybe not a win in your book but it's something I'd take.

BTW; I put a set of Yokohama Avid TRZ tires on my '07 Taurus 2 weeks ago. $338.00 delivered from Tire Rack. $50.00 mount and balance by a shop
I tow for. If I remember I'll report on their condition in 4 years.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by shorebird
New tires at 35% of total cost of $468.00. 4 years of use and 42% of the warrantied mileage. Maybe not a win in your book but it's something I'd take.

BTW; I put a set of Yokohama Avid TRZ tires on my '07 Taurus 2 weeks ago. $338.00 delivered from Tire Rack. $50.00 mount and balance by a shop
I tow for. If I remember I'll report on their condition in 4 years.
I see your point and numbers don't lie. Good luck with your Yoko's. I do like mine and to Yokohama's credit, they didn't give any flak what so ever over the cracking / replacement issue.

Tim