Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup cameras

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 04:45 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=BigRy;8116271]No, the one I use is this one.
CCD LICENSE PLATE IR WIDE ANGLE REAR VIEW BACKUP CAMERA - eBay (item 260354455914 end time Nov-25-09 14:01:23 PST)

Works awesome and as stated right over the ball. It is perfectly on. The bad thing is that you have to have a Head unit that is backup camera ready, which I did have being my Pioneer F9

This is camera only, I need a complete one with monitor, Is the Peak a good one ? $49 or $99....I am thinking $99

Old 11-07-2009, 06:38 PM
BigRy
Elder User
As stated, I use a Aftermarket HU for my monitor. I dont like to have a monitor laying around in my truck, looks to cluttered.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:37 PM
BostonX73
Senior User
I installed the Peak today, no pics yet. Install was pretty quick. I ran the power for the camera from the extra backup lights and the monitor just uses a powerpoint, so I was able to test it in the rear before buttoning it all up. I tucked the transmitter in with jack and AC, picture was still fine up at the front on the truck. View back was good from the license plate, but wasn't able to see the hitch(most of the reason for wanting the camera) and it also covered up the state on the plate. I made 2 little brackets to lift the camera up an inch or so and angle it just enough to see the top of the ball.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:06 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by BostonX73
I installed the Peak today, no pics yet. Install was pretty quick. I ran the power for the camera from the extra backup lights and the monitor just uses a powerpoint, so I was able to test it in the rear before buttoning it all up. I tucked the transmitter in with jack and AC, picture was still fine up at the front on the truck. View back was good from the license plate, but wasn't able to see the hitch(most of the reason for wanting the camera) and it also covered up the state on the plate. I made 2 little brackets to lift the camera up an inch or so and angle it just enough to see the top of the ball.

Was that the $99, 110 degree one ?

Old 11-07-2009, 10:08 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by BigRy
As stated, I use a Aftermarket HU for my monitor. I dont like to have a monitor laying around in my truck, looks to cluttered.

I hear you and agree with you, just don't want to invest that much into it

Old 11-07-2009, 10:26 PM
BostonX73
Senior User
yep, normally $99.
I would have liked to have an all inclusive monitor/head unit. haven't figured out where to stick the monitor for sure yet.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
I know it wasn't cheap....but as listed in my post...I used a replacement auto dimming rear view mirror that has a monitor built in. Very stealthy

Old 11-23-2009, 06:23 AM
army.alaska
New User
3rd brake light

Just my 2 cents, I purchased the 3rd brake light as well and found that it did not view the the reciever ball. I then had to purchase a license plate camera that did very well. The 3rd light camera has since become irreplaceable to my wife (her truck) due to the view angle and sight from above. I mounted a non-reversed camera to the front of the vehicle as well. The monitor (pioneer avic gps)i mounted to the dash toggles with some creative wiring, all 3 cameras. Since she has a 6" lift, ppl are amazed when she parallel parks the beast coming within inches of objects with ease. And i appreciate not having to have to step out the Ex a few times to line the trailers up. Therefore, I would like to note that with a vehicle of this size, 3 cameras are what work for us. I used several monitors until settling for the avic, I tried the GPS with aux line-in (stolen[had to disasemble and solder radior shack connectors] resulting in viper auto-start/alarm), rear-view mirror monitor (bulky and heavy for bumps and minimal off-road), and Edge gps/chip (disappointing at the least due to gps quality). My wish is an aftermarket GPS head unit that would incorporate the propiety DVD signal to my rear passenger screen, (have spent coutnless hours looking without luck) then id belive to have the perfect set-up

Old 11-23-2009, 11:20 PM
herojeep
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been considering a front mounted camera also. I think I'll try to incorporate a rear camera into the area around the rear hatch handle and a second at the top front of the grill. I like the rear view monitor idea for a more stealth approach. What kind of equipment do you have to buy to switch camera inputs or would I need to solder up a little switch board? Ideally I would like to have the rear camera come on automatically when in reverse and the front camera on while in drive, set up with some relays to the back up lights. Then just a switch for on and off to the monitor. This ride is mainly for Wifey also, and she would like the help in parking too. Do you have pictures of the front mounted camera?

Old 12-04-2009, 09:07 AM
SARGE/AF
Senior User
One thing I think everyone should remember is that it not the camera but where you mount it. High looking down limited large area view good for hooking up trailer, low pointed down also good for hooking up, low pointed strait back for backing if it is down near the hitch you can also use it for hooking up a trailer but still have view behind you. I have temp hooked up expensive camera vs the 99.00 walmart/sams club and could not really tell the difference except for the price.
I went with the Walmart wireless mounted on the plate and adjusted where I can see the hitch but I can also see back about 2 feet to make sure there are no kids or anything else behind me in that distance. It pretty much stays in this position but I can tilt it for a larger viewing area if I am not hauling the trailer. Next spring I plan on moving it down to the top of the hitch.
This set up works well for me

Sarge

Old 02-26-2010, 03:58 AM
fnx4wheeler
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Let's get some more name brands out there. Anyone try a license mounted Boyo brand camera? If so, how do you like it? I'm going do this install so I can hitch up my boat easier. I'll be connecting it to my stereo monitor.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:26 PM
SARGE/AF
Senior User
Backup Cameras

Let's get some more name brands out there. Anyone try a license mounted Boyo brand camera? If so, how do you like it? I'm going do this install so I can hitch up my boat easier. I'll be connecting it to my stereo monitor.[/quote]
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX
The one I have is the license plate mounted one from WalMart, I really like it, it shore makes hooking up a whole lot easier. The way I have it wired it also allows me to check the hitch connection while traveling to make sure everything is ok and nothing has shook loose. Like I said in an earlier posting I plan on moving it down from the top of the plate to either the bottom or even a little lower.

Sarge

Old 03-16-2010, 12:32 PM
BostonX73
Senior User
Mine is the Peak, it is license plate mounted by design, had to change it up a bit due to state laws here not allowing anything to cover the plate. works pretty good for the price. I had it sitting in with the jack but some days it doesn't seem to broadcast far enough to get to the front of the truck so it sticking between the 3rd row now- works until I have to throw something in the back or people in the 3rd row.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:42 PM
fnx4wheeler
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I bought the Boyo 405 (top mount ultra thin). Az also just started enforcing the state must be visible on the plate law. I also thought about mounting a switch so I could view while driving but decided not to. The unit works fine and has a 2yr warranty. Picture quality is not like watching a movie but is still pretty good and has a wide field of view. I would recommend this unit.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:53 PM
SARGE/AF
Senior User
I will have to find the box to see what the brand is that I have, but it shows up not only from the rear to the front of the truck with the camera mounted on the plate, but I walked away from the truck about 20 feet and it gave a picture that far away as well. I intend on moving the camera to the back of my 34 ft camper and see if it will still receive the picture.
The picture although black & white is a good clear picture too. With my eyes though I would prefer a larger screen though.

Sarge

Quick Reply: Backup cameras