Sponsored by: Moser

anyone know anything about implement paints

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:17 PM
bubbasinafordf150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know anything about implement paints

how well does it cover and fill in imperfections in the metal if its pitted. i was going to do a bc/cc but said screw it to much prep work. i have the truck sanded down 90& of the way and have some cheap spray can primer on it. i was thinking just spraying it oliver green. and for the spots i couldnt get sanded down good will it hold pretty well. also ive heard people say use xyolene instead of paint thinner whats best.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Fordworth
Laughing Gas
Many tractor paints are water based, cheap, easy to use and stick well. I've used CAT black in heavy apps and it works great. The problem is that they lose their shine quickly. Just look at any tractor that's more than 2 years old. However, if you're going with OD green it shouldn't matter.The less shine the less noticeable the imperfections are.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:49 PM
bubbasinafordf150
Senior User
yeah i know about the shine thing more shine more noticable. any tricks or tips would be helpful such as mixing the hardner ans can it be sprayed on in more than one coat and is there a strict time between recoats or could i spray it one day the go out two days or more latter and respray it

Old 10-25-2009, 09:05 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used Durashield John Deere Green when I restored my 1944 John Deere model A tractor. Still looks great even after 9 years. Its not outside everyday, its garage kept. I used hardener and reducer with it.

I know the pic is old, but the tractor still looks exaclty the same.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:10 PM
bubbasinafordf150
Senior User
how did you mix yours ratio wise and how did it spray

good lookin old A

Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Fordworth
Laughing Gas
The water base versions (which most of them seem to be these days) dont use any hardener. Just thin with water till it's the right consistency for the gun and shoot. I wouldn't wait too long between applications though. Just like any other paint the idea is to get each coat to assimilate into one rather than applying lots of thin layers that dry fully in between.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:18 PM
bubbasinafordf150
Senior User
i was just reading about some water based paints and they dont seem to have as good of a hold compared to one that uses a hardner

Old 10-25-2009, 09:23 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbasinafordf150
how did you mix yours ratio wise and how did it spray

good lookin old A
To tell the truth I don't remember it was so long ago. I usually don't go by any set amount I just mix it till I feel that it is right and do a test spray. I do however remember that it did spray well(I was using a 50 dollar campbell hausfield gun). Thanks for the comment.

The wheels however are a different story. I have blood, sweat, sweat, and more sweat and many hours in them. I brushed all of them and there are no brush stroke marks. They turned out great, but I have never done it that way again and probably never will.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:02 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it from a bodyman. You get what you pay for. When you pay $50 for a gallon of paint thats what you get.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:07 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Might just use a acrlic enamel paint, they are cheap the mix ratio's regardless should be on the can.Most paint shops can set you up with what you are wanting and answer your mix ratio questions. If they won't go to anouther shop.All the shops here are very helpful no matter what you are painting. There is just to many brands to give you a fit all mix ratio.Hope this helps you out.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:11 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Yep every brand be it PPG, Dupontand so on offer a different mixing ratio. Any mostly will not interchange. If you use a certain base then you have to use the same reducer that is with that paint system.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:16 PM
bubbasinafordf150
Senior User
im not expecting a show quality paint job just something thats presentable and that dont take as much work as a bc/cc job. i dont expect it to last more than 3 years for it only costing 50-60 bucks. i just wondered how decent itll lokk and that it will spray easy appreciate the advise and that makes since on the mix ratio. anyone have any pic of there vehicle that was painted with implement paint.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:18 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Well ill tell you this much. In about 6 months itll be dull as the 30 yr old factory paint if it sits in the sun all the time.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 PM
tlk50
Elder User
I painted my old garbage trailer with International Carmine Red equipment enamel some 18 or 19 years ago and it is still there with no peeling or blistering. I used an old trick a painter told me about. I prepped the surface with scotch pads and then wiped with thinner and let dry. Then I mixed the paint with about a 1/4 mixture of medium thinner to reduce and heated it up in an old sauce pan just a little on a hot plate (don't boil), poured it in the gun and shot it. Sucked right into the old surface and dried smooth. Still looks good for a Hooterville paint job.

Tim

Old 10-25-2009, 10:30 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Ive heard old timers talk about boiling paint. Never tried it but a bunch of them swear by it. To bad they are to old to still be painting. Thats something id like to see in person.

Quick Reply: anyone know anything about implement paints