1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bed dementions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Bed dementions

Does anyone have a strong blueprint of a '53-56 long bed? I have the one that shows the whole truck, what I need is something that has all the little messurements on it, like the tabs and what not. I'm trying to get an estimate from the local steel factory, they're setup to do the breaks long enough. I just need an accurate blueprint, something that would have like the angle of the top break and what not. Something if you had no other information would be enough to make it from nothing.

Thanks (if no one has such a thing I'll have to make one, so all these tiny measurements I'd really appreciate)

Old 10-23-2009, 06:56 PM
vintage tin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stephen,i dont have a blueprint,but i do have a 50 merc m-68 with an express box.
i could draw you a pic with any measurements you need,scan it and post it.
i would have to go over to work to see it,but if you would like this i could likely have it for you some time tomorrow.just let me know tonight.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Thanks! That will help out a lot. I think I have most of them, but even things like just finding how tall the sides are before the bend isn't something I've come across and have just been guessing.

I mainly need that measurement and the lenght of the section after the bend (the part that goes out at 45 degree angle and has the stake holes). The rest I think I have... expect those two rather critical ones, ha.

Thanks again!

Old 10-23-2009, 07:08 PM
vintage tin
Senior User
stephen, if thats all you need i can have those for you in a hour tops.
just tell me what exactly you would like ,i will go get it.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
lol no real rush, I'm just trying to figure all of that out so to determine making one right now.

The only other thing I need to know is what size the stake holes are, or more accurately what size tube is below the hole.

The top curl on the edge of the bed, is that 1" diameter or is it a little bigger?

Thats about all I can think of... the tabs under I assume are about 1", the lenght is easy and the piece between the sides I found the width for, just still not the exact height. I estimated at about 22", but I'm not sure, it might be a little less since I didn't add into it the cross beams everything bolts onto... but this is a custom bed anyways.

Thanks again

Old 10-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So Stephen

I'm curious. If I follow your comments, are you saying that your hoping to have the local metal fabricator make you a box from scratch? I'm sure that's been done before, but I guess I've never known people that actually did it etc. I've got a really bad box on my 49F1, and I might be able to salvage it with large repairs etc--I have experience with panel repairs. I'm OK at it. Not a pro. So along that line I never even considered making a new box. But I guess your later model truck bed has "flat sides", as opposed to the "panels" or whatever they're called that are pressed into my 49 bed sides?

I'd like to find a useable bed for my 49F1. I think I can salvage the fenders easier than the bed sides, and aftermarket tailgates for my truck are affordable. But when I've casually shopped for replacement bed sides--I know they're offered--the price is beyond me.

So I'm guessing you looked for a replacement bed first, and they're not common? Just wondering about your experience, because I've been looking for a bed and keep hoping to find something more restorable than mine--if possible.

Tom

Old 10-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
I've only come across 2 long-beds in my year long search. One is on a truck that I highly doubt the owner will trade without selling the whole thing (he drives it daily so...) the other is a beat up one being used a trailer than I'm hearing back from this weekend to see if I can use it for a temp bed.

The sides of the 53+ beds do make it easier. I've actually seen some F1 and F2 beds around town, these old beds get used A LOT as trailers around here. My suggestion is to find a part of the town that has alley ways, in my experience most places with new housing don't have as good of finds or as cheap of ones, and then walk the alleys and look around, take a camera with you and a map if you need and keep track of what you find. Even if its not what you're looking for at the moment you may find something someone else wants. I've found every bed imaginable, Split-window Corvettes, Cudas, Camaros, Mustangs, '38 Mecury's, just about every vintage truck year and so on. People leave this stuff in their back yard and don't give it much thought, a lot don't even know what they have so if you're looking for a bed they don't even know they have what you want. That makes it harder to find, but it does mean that they aren't going to ask full price on it... it's just a part to them, heck some people are happy to just have it gone. lol be warned though, it becomes a fun hobby and keeps you in shape, lol.

I could make the whole bed from scratch, I'm a blacksmith, the problem is is that I don't have a metal break that can do something 8' long, and the company I buy my steel from does. I'll have to see what they are going to charge, if it's too much I'll just have to buy the steel and then use the break at our local high school (I can't remember if it was only 6 or 7 feet though...)... I mean I "could" weld the tab and the bend in, but what a pain!

I get my steel from Admiral Steel (Admiral Steel - Spring, Strip, Alloy, Tool Steels, Bars, Structurals, Building Products ) they have a recycling factory in Montana, and make weekly trips to my town (so free shipping, w00t!). Its going to be at LEAST $200 in just the steel alone, thats a lot of steel. Andrew has made his own bed and has some good pictures on how he did it:

Ford Truck Enthusiasts User Gallery

I'm still researching a bunch, there about a dozen little things you need to know, but it's all pretty simple. And since it's a custom bed and project anyways I don't have to be super accurate in the details.

Since you do have an F1, if you want the sides to be ribbed I would try to find a stock bed. It would cost more to do as a one time thing than to buy a reproduction or a good original. However, a flush side does look pretty slick:

1948 Ford F1 Right Side Rear View Photo

If you decied you want to stay concour with it, keep posting a want ad on Craigslist and check it often. Actually if I remember right there is a site out now that will email you when someone posts a for sale ad about something you're looking for.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:45 PM
SunDown
Senior User
I have a longbed on the 55 I just picked up... looks to be in great shape. I'd possibly trade it for a good condition short bed if you have one or can get one!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
I could probably get one, there is a guy that I'm seeing tomorrow with a decent one he says, newer wood, I can think of at least 3 good ones within a couple miles of me. Problem is we're about 900 miles away from each other...

Old 10-23-2009, 09:57 PM
SunDown
Senior User
mine is even a faded red color!

Come on out, you know you want this bed!!! I wish you were closer, I know you have been looking for a long bed for A LONG time. Well before I bought this 55...

Old 10-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
lol I'd love to but I have no way of getting there and back, least with a bed, lol! Gas costs alone would probably be cheaper just to make the whole thing.

I'd for sure hold onto it, they're a PITA to find, someone closer to you has got to have one... course if you ever feeling like coming to Wyoming for a vaction.... lol

Old 10-24-2009, 12:35 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Thanks Stephen. That's good info about how to look for a bed. I live in farming country and stuff like that exists here and there. I'd prefer an OEM version--at least that's my thinking now. Who knows as things go forward with a truck build. You know how it goes. The process sometimes goes its own direction. I make plans, but then sometimes I have to change and go with the flow. For now I'm planning a nice little restoration clean enough for a local winery truck etc. Old trucks are pretty popular for curiosity/advtg etc at the little winerys.

But the photo you linked with the "flat" side custom 48 bed--the red truck. It looked really slick. I've just never paid attention to that before, but that's a possibility.

Thanks for the good advice. This is a pic of the rust bucket as it is now. Its better than it looks. And I'm pretty confindent that the drivetrain is in good rebuildable condition. I could be wrong. We'll see.

Good luck Tom

Old 10-24-2009, 12:40 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Honesty I think that beds in great condition! Just needs a little hammering. A couple months ago a Classic Trucks magazine had a couple issues where they rebuild a F1 bed, dispite the bed corner and tailgate, yours looks betters than theirs did when they started!

Old 10-24-2009, 01:55 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Thanks but the photo isn't reflecting the reality. Its got big time rust:

Everything along the bottom 1/3 is total rust. And a lot of what you see is also. Like I said I'd try to patch panel it etc+ whatever it needs-I've got sheet metal/I understand how to mig weld in patches etc. But this is the kinda thing like working with galvanized rusty pipes. Once you remove the rust all you have is the memories. There is very little solid metal.
Like I said I'll do what I can, but a better box would be a better start. IMO

Good luck Tom

Old 10-24-2009, 02:01 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
hmm... I can feel it crumble in my hands just by looking at it, lol

You might just email Admiral Steel and see if it's possible for them to make you one, they could have such tools as to do it very cheaply. They'll need to know what gauge you want (16 regular I believe, 14ga is heavy duty) and what steel, (I'd say like 1010, it's a simple carbon steel) and then just ask for a estimate on having that section rolled up like that, do a quick drawing with some quick measurements, you'll know real quick weather it's feasible or if you should be looking for something else.

Quick Reply: Bed dementions