Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

96 explorer 4wd indicator light

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:29 PM
96fordsport
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 explorer 4wd indicator light

I have a 1996 ford explorer sport 4x4. Recently fixed the power windows and 4x4 via replacing the relay under the dash. All is good now but when I turn on the headlights the 4wd indicator light goes out. Any ideas ?????

Old 10-25-2009, 04:28 PM
donnor
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
light or no light...

It is possible that you disturbed a ground connection during your procedure & missed properly reconnecting it during reassembly. Is the 4x4 light on all the time or only when you are actually in 4WD? Does the brightness vary with the switching on or off of the lights? Such conditions usually point to a missing, loose, or intermittent path to ground. Are you sure you got the correct relay for your vehicle? Sometimes componets from one model may physically fit, but not share the same electrical connection configuration.

dn.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:36 AM
96fordsport
New User
The relay was the same one. Solved the power windows not working and fixed the 4wd not working, same relay. Did not mess with any ground wire but may be possible. I don't think that is that though. The 4wd light is strong and constant, does not vary brightness. Doesn't seem as a ground issue. As soon as I turn on the lights, 4wd indicator light goes off. Turn lights off, 4wd indicator light goes on. You can do this all day long and it doesn't fluctuate in any way. I am wondering if it is in the switch relay in the relay module #4 box ?? Weird how the 4x4 light is interconnected with the windows, maybe the running lights are somehow connected with the 4x4 light. I saw a thread on this on another web site a month a ago but can't find it now. Seems I hear a relay in the back of the truck click when I turn running lights on and then off.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:42 AM
96fordsport
New User
The relay was the same one. Solved the power windows not working and fixed the 4wd not working, same relay. Did not mess with any ground wire but may be possible. I don't think that is that though. The 4wd light is strong and constant, does not vary brightness. Doesn't seem as a ground issue. As soon as I turn on the lights, 4wd indicator light goes off. Turn lights off, 4wd indicator light goes on. You can do this all day long and it doesn't fluctuate in any way. I am wondering if it is in the switch relay in the relay module #4 box ?? Weird how the 4x4 light is interconnected with the windows, maybe the running lights are somehow connected with the 4x4 light. I saw a thread on this on another web site a month a ago but can't find it now. Seems I hear a relay in the back of the truck click when I turn running lights on and then off.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:47 PM
dan8052
Junior User
Tell me more about this relay. I have a 96' with the same issue (windows won't work when 4x4 light is blinking). Where can I find the relay under the dash, how much does the relay cost? Thanks for your help!

Dan
96' Explore - 173,300 miles... Still running strong.
04' Explore - 74,000 miles... Just bought it for the wife.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:58 AM
96fordsport
New User
1996 explorer sport 4x4 light and windows

This is super simple and works to fix it. See the relay that controls the windows is the same relay that does the 4wd indicator light. Take off the plastic panel under the steering wheel, the take off the metal piece too. Look under there by the gas pedal. Up to the right is a black plastic box maybe 5" x 3" with black tape around it. Cut the tape off, pull the cover off, there are clips so be careful not to break them. Real bad position to work on all this. Anyways, there are 2 kinds of relays in there, a bunch of little rectangle ones and one big square one. The big square one is the problem, just pull it out, maybe some wiggling may be needed. Pull it out and bring it into autozone and they can match it. It is called the acc. relay. It was $7 at autozone and $12 at the ford dealer. Replace it and you should be good to go. If you need the part number of the relay I can get the one I got. PLEASE let me know if this fixes your problem. Also does your 4wd light go out when you turn on your headlights ? That is my problem. Hope this helps, I stiill need a solution for my problem of the 4wd light going out when you turn the lights on.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:49 PM
dan8052
Junior User
I've gone without windows going down for 3-4 years now (Thank god for Ford's cold AC). I read about the large electrical connector on top of the transfer case... unpluged it a couple of times, cleaned it, lubricated it up and it would fix the problem for a day or so then go back to lights blinking and windows not moving. Man, I hope this corrects the problem for good. Thank you so much for the quick reply. I will keep you posted with my results.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:44 AM
dan8052
Junior User
Found the relay, it was right where you said it would be, took it to Advance Auto and they said the relay is a turn signal/flasher relay. Is this the correct part or did I pull the wrong relay out? Thanks for all of your help.

Dan

Old 11-09-2009, 12:46 PM
dan8052
Junior User
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I love this website! Replaced the relay and all is well. My windows work again after all of those years. I believe the relay is only for the windows... my 4x4 lights still blinked with the relay out of the car, as well as all turn signals/flashers. $12.00 part from Ford and all is well. Thank you again.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:41 PM
96fordsport
New User
does your 4x4 light go off on the instrument panel if you turn on your headlights and the selector is still on 4x4?

Old 05-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Bigarlo23
New User
THANK YOU!!!!!

Originally Posted by 96fordsport
This is super simple and works to fix it. See the relay that controls the windows is the same relay that does the 4wd indicator light. Take off the plastic panel under the steering wheel, the take off the metal piece too. Look under there by the gas pedal. Up to the right is a black plastic box maybe 5" x 3" with black tape around it. Cut the tape off, pull the cover off, there are clips so be careful not to break them. Real bad position to work on all this. Anyways, there are 2 kinds of relays in there, a bunch of little rectangle ones and one big square one. The big square one is the problem, just pull it out, maybe some wiggling may be needed. Pull it out and bring it into autozone and they can match it. It is called the acc. relay. It was $7 at autozone and $12 at the ford dealer. Replace it and you should be good to go. If you need the part number of the relay I can get the one I got. PLEASE let me know if this fixes your problem. Also does your 4wd light go out when you turn on your headlights ? That is my problem. Hope this helps, I stiill need a solution for my problem of the 4wd light going out when you turn the lights on.

Thank you very very much. If it wasnt for you i woundnt have a clue where and how to fix my window problems.