Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Diesel Winter Prep

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Diesel Winter Prep

Alright, I still haven't finished troubleshooting my truck but there are some things I want to get going for my truck before winter arrives officially. We are in the 30s during the day and the 20s at night. Snow inbound no doubt.

I am interested in a grill cover and probably some aux lights for my truck. I was thinking of mounting them on a light bar or maybe looking into a cargo rack on top of the truck.

Are there any good sites that carry plenty of winter gear for our trucks?

I am also thinking about swapping out the tranny fluid and both difs. Since the pan bolt is stripped on my tranny pan I might do a new pan and maybe a trans filter of some sort.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Make sure your glow plugs are working, and put synthetic oil in your truck.

Other than that, carry some anti-gel for the fuel, and you should be good to go.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Pocket
Make sure your glow plugs are working, and put synthetic oil in your truck.

Other than that, carry some anti-gel for the fuel, and you should be good to go.
Anyone have a wiring diagram for the glow plugs? Mine aren't working and I am pretty sure its because of the way I hooked up the harness.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Harness only connects one way. You can check your glow plugs with a multi-meter. Just ohm them out and see if any of them are showing a high resistance.

I just replaced all of mine. 3 of them were toast.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Pocket
Harness only connects one way. You can check your glow plugs with a multi-meter. Just ohm them out and see if any of them are showing a high resistance.

I just replaced all of mine. 3 of them were toast.
I just put a engine in and didn't hook up the AIH so I am pretty sure I may have messed that part up. My glow plugs were in great shape before this and I swapped them into the current engine. I know none of them are working.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:08 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as for the lights the attached website has really nice light bars, although I think its a little pricey you could always make one easy enough.
Sleekster Offroad Truck Light Bars

now sorry to but how big of a job is it to change the glow plugs?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The AIH isn't for engine warm up anyway. It's just for keeping the white smoke at bey when it's cold. How is the relay?? If the GPs are good, then look at the relay...

Old 10-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by roostercrows
as for the lights the attached website has really nice light bars, although I think its a little pricey you could always make one easy enough.

It requires removing the valve covers and then pulling them out. I would say the valve cover removal is going to be the biggest pain in the *** of all. After that, it is very straight forward.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by roostercrows

You need a thin-wall, deep 10mm socket, and a stiff tube that fits over the top of the GP connection. I found that the tube off that "Great Stuff" foam works perfectly to spin the GPs in & out. Break them loose with the socket, the use the tube to get them the rest of the way out.

milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alex, Clay can set you up with lightforce lighting. Are you going to make it out before the snow or are you staying for the winter??

Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Izzy351
The AIH isn't for engine warm up anyway. It's just for keeping the white smoke at bey when it's cold. How is the relay?? If the GPs are good, then look at the relay...
I am thinking I just may have hooked part of the harness up incorrectly between the plugs for the AIH which isn't there and the ones for the relay.

Relay is brand new from Clay. I could swear its in the connections. I have the two smaller red wires hooked up to the smaller studs on the relay and on one side I have a yellow and black attached and on the other side I have a red cable attached.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by milleroutdoors
Alex, Clay can set you up with lightforce lighting. Are you going to make it out before the snow or are you staying for the winter??
Well I got the truck running and then had to pull it out again after cracking the front cover. Now I have it back together and have a couple small problems to deal with. I RTVed a small leak at the back of the oil pan but because its been so cold I am letting it sit for a couple days to cure. I need to flush out the coolant passages and then check my thermostat which was new in April. Beyond that my GPs aren't working and I have a rattle to figure out.

I have managed to find around 40 hours of very low paying work in town which is lucky. I have cheap rent and rigged some internet so I may end up staying.

I have a lady friend in Arcata, CA that would house me quite comfortably if I got down there. Finding work would be my concern again however.

Thanks again for the Y pipe, I owe ya!

Old 10-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
I can go out and take a pic of my GP & AIH relay, if you want. My AIH isn't hooked up, but the control wires are. You should be able to see which ones go where at least.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Izzy351
I can go out and take a pic of my GP & AIH relay, if you want. My AIH isn't hooked up, but the control wires are. You should be able to see which ones go where at least.
That would be a great help! Thanks Joe! I am sure its that simple.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Here you go. Click the pic, and it will take you to my webshots album where you should be able to get the full-size pic (5 MP).

EDIT: BTW, I took several, but the four I uploaded looked the best... Let me know if you need any more detail.

Quick Reply: Diesel Winter Prep