1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loose steering gearbox nut

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 07:10 PM
gairforce1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loose steering gearbox nut

i have a 07 f250 sd. my problem is, i live in the middle of no where on a really bad dirt road. i have to drive it both ways to work 5 days a week. the bolt that holds the pitman arm on the steering gearbox keeps coming loose. i've taken it in numerous times for retightening, the dealership doesn't want to help ofcourse, because of my lift. so i take it to the place that did my lift and suspension. everytime they claim to use a thread lock tight. but very quickly it comes loose, and my steering gets really sloppy. also the steering seems really sloppy even when it get tightened. i read the thread on how to tighten the gearbox, and have done that. but it seems like maybe it's time for a new gearbox. but i don't want to replace the gearbox and then run into this same problem.
any ideas would be great..

Old 10-17-2009, 09:04 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had Identical problem, two things fixedmine. I had to get a huge flat washer as the nut was bottoming out against the splines before the pitman are was totally tight. (make sure the washer is large enough to go over the splines, I got one at fastenal)The other thing is this, the torque spec on that hog is 350 ft/lbs.....YES 350 FOOT LBS. I torqued it to 250 (as high as most common tq wrenches go) then took my long 1/2'' pull bar with a pipe on it and gave it all my 300# butt had. Of course lock tite was used, not a problem since.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:08 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That is a common problem and I would get a washer or have one made for it. If the nut doesn't squeeze the arm then the arm will work on the spline and the nut surface with every turn you take and every pothole you hit. You might be able to punch the threads with a sharp center punch also.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:35 PM
gairforce1
New User
thank you both very much for your help. i'll try anything at this point.
cheers

Old 10-18-2009, 10:40 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
If you get a washer try gunking up the splines and the threads with JB weld when you put it back together. You should still be able to pull it off in the future but would be better off replacing both that that point anyway. Washer+JB weld+very tight nut=SOLID! (All the splines are probably worn at this point anyway)

Old 10-19-2009, 01:21 AM
gairforce1
New User
thank you, i'm going to end up having to make one but i'll be installing it in the morning. and i have some jb weld sitting around so i'll try that to.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:16 AM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
I wouldnt use any JB weld.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:29 PM
gairforce1
New User
so i put a washer in between the washer that was there and the pitman arm. i got it as tight as i could. really don't think it's going to get any tighter. i didn't end up using jb weld, figured i can always put it on after if this didn't work. everything seems tight, but now i can hear a terrible squeak when i turn the steering wheel from left to right without the truck started. i can't hear the squeak when the steering wheel is locked, so i'm figureing that it must be coming from the gearbox. is it time for a new gearbox or are there any other ideas.
cheers
g

Old 10-19-2009, 08:38 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 06silvercrew
I wouldnt use any JB weld.
Why not? It's a last ditch effort. It's like telling a dying person not to use an experimental drug.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:41 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Locked steering wheel?......drive it and get back to us.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 PM
gairforce1
New User
so i drove it, and it didn't seem to work, so i'll be trying the jb weld in the morning. i am starting to think it's the gearbox. the gearbox is making a terrible squek. everthing feels tight though. so i don't know how it will help. but i'll try it. also what i meant by locked steering wheel. is the steering wheel was locked keys out, wen i try to turn it back and forth with the steering wheel locked it doesn't make the squeak. so i thought i might be the gears squeaking inside the box?? don't really know.. but i'll let you know how the jb weld works.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:44 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EXv10
Why not? It's a last ditch effort. It's like telling a dying person not to use an experimental drug.

There is a place for JB weld, and steering is not one of them. The loads and forces put on the splines of the gear box are incredible, JB weld is strong, but not that strong.

Gairforce- How tight is "tight as I could" This thing has to be gut wrenching tight. Im talkin 3 foot pipe on your wrench to get this thing to pull to 350#

The washer you put on- was the inside diameter as big or bigger then the splined part of your gear box? It needs to slide OVER the splines

Old 10-20-2009, 09:20 PM
57fomoco
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06silvercrew
There is a place for JB weld, and steering is not one of them. The loads and forces put on the splines of the gear box are incredible, JB weld is strong, but not that strong.

Gairforce- How tight is "tight as I could" This thing has to be gut wrenching tight. Im talkin 3 foot pipe on your wrench to get this thing to pull to 350#

The washer you put on- was the inside diameter as big or bigger then the splined part of your gear box? It needs to slide OVER the splines
If you are using other than an OEM washer you better make sure that it is of the same hardness and grade as the factory one. If it is to soft it could be deadly!!! Check your splines very carefully on the shaft and invest in a new pit-man arm, and torque it to the proper specs. If you don't know how to verify the status of your gear box please do yourself, your family, your loved ones and all of the rest of us on the road a favor and have your truck towed in to be checked and correctly repaired by a competent tech. I don't mean to insult you or pick on you but steering is not something to be guessing with or trying experimental repairs on. I'm sure that you would not want to live with the consequences of having a failure and causing someone to get injured.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Maybe you concerned citizens would like to buy him a new box and arm. And airforce; It sounds like the nut is pulling the shaft out of the PS box so good luck. Another option would be to drill the nut and the shaft and put a pin in it.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:07 PM
gairforce1
New User
thank you again exv10,and 06silvercrewit's way better with the washer in place. still haven't used the jb weld. haven't had the time. as for me keeping it safe. tell that to the ford dealership that i drove away from with the sloppiest steering i've driven with. and for the washer, i got it from the dealer, oem part, just doubled it up. i do still plan on using the jb weld. i'll still let you know how it works.

Quick Reply: loose steering gearbox nut