1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

T-Bird Power Steering Rack in 54 F100 but I have a question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:23 PM
medicpg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Mustang II front end in my 1954 F100, I believe I bought it from Ziggs. I installed a power steering Rack from a 88-92 T bird. (not sure of year right now)

Well now that I am driving the truck a little more...I notice the front end is a little sloppy. I have not installed any extenders since everything seemed to connect easily.

Anyone have any info as to what to check?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by medicpg
Well now that I am driving the truck a little more...I notice the front end is a little sloppy. QUOTE]
Sloppy??? What kind of sloppy, sloppy where? When you drive it, wheels in the air, steering wheel feel? What?

Originally Posted by medicpg
I have not installed any extenders since everything seemed to connect easily.
Guess you could hook up the tie rod ends easily with out extenders but would it be toed-in a bunch, chew the tires right off. Have you had the toe in checked? Did the instructions say anything about extenders?

Old 10-13-2009, 04:06 PM
medicpg
Senior User
I guess by sloppy there seems to be a little bit of slack when I turn the wheel, before a response.

I had the vehicle aligned last year and they didnt mention a problem when they tried to adjust it and the tires dont seem toed in. I am going to get another alignment soon.....maybe they will point out any problems

Old 10-13-2009, 04:55 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
I guess I would start by raising up the front end enough to have both wheels off the ground. Check all nuts/bolts in the front end install, including steering column. Check steering fluid, belt, hoses. Wheel bearings, etc. Have someone sit in the seat holding the wheel . Under the frame check everything in the front suspension from steering wheel down. Do this both without engine running and with engine running. Tranny in park, wheels blocked. With engine running don't get under frame, observe parts movement as someone moves the steering wheel. Hand force the wheels in different directions for looseness. chuck

Last edited by 49fordpickumup; 10-13-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-13-2009, 07:49 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i contacted flaming river i think it was about a rack and pinion manual kit for my straight axle just a little bit ago before the current brain fart i am pursuing . they said a rack is not a good idea on a straight axle as it will give even more bump steer especially if lowered . so maybe that might have something to do with it .

Old 10-13-2009, 08:26 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Medicpg,..Where is your Gallery? ..is it me ? I cannot seem to find any details.. You mentioned you have a MII with a T-bird rack,.. What engine and what P/s pump?

Just a thought, but sometimes mixing and matching different parts can lead to some unexpected incompatabilities..like incorrect pressures..tell me you have a chevy pump with a Ford rack...on the other hand,..most Ford steering systems seem loose to me ...all the time.Be sure and double check for any looseness in components as mentioned above...pay particular attention to the connections between the steering column and the rack "pinion". How many u-joints? Any Pics?

Old 10-14-2009, 02:17 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my bust i see your running a mii front suspension . i was looking for a manual rack also for my tbird that is destined as soon as my 53 is back up , to be blown to bits on the local strip . i looked at interchange options and from what i seen the mii and the 90-97 birds weren't compatible . the racks from a 79-93 mustang were , i believe as were the 94 up units , but the mustangs of all the years have a different thread in the rack than my birds requiring special ends and i different sized stud in the tie rod end . ain't much help but maybe if i remembered it correctly it's something to file away for future reference . you don't think maybe you ran into a loose stud situation from the diff sizes do you ?????????????????

Old 10-14-2009, 09:44 AM
medicpg
Senior User

Hi everyone...thanks for all the replies and information !
I will get some pics into my gallery tonite.

But in terms of parts I have
Mustang II front end
10 inch Grenada Brakes
Camaro Calipers
Power Steering Pump is also from a Tbird

I think the Spindle is from the Mustang II, but its been so Long I forgot. Only 1 U joint between the column and Rack.

In terms of the T-Bird Rack vs Mustang Rack, the tie rod ends seem to mount fine. In terms of the threads being different, which ones? The joints all seem to connect nicely and I had to use my fork too to seperate the tie rod ends last weekend so they seem to fit ok.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:33 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the rack itself bolted tightly to the crossmember? Thats about the only place where I can see you might get some free play.