Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hutch Mod Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:49 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hutch Mod Concerns

I got some nasty stuff in my injectors today so I am planning on the Hutch/Harpoon mod this weekend.

I ordered the kit off DI.

It comes with an inline filter.

However... I want to put a spin-on filter like the Baldwin BF1212.

After discussing this a few very credible and knowledgeable sources, and seeing their views against Pre-fuel pump filters I started to wonder why not.

I understand that this can cause a fuel pressure drop.. sooooo

Who here knows or has had a fuel pump failure with a pre-pump filter set-up? Was the failure contributed to decrease of line pressure?

And what is the best place to put a Fuel pressure gauge to watch the line pressure? Or a low pressure light? Pics rock BTW!!

Here is info on the BF1212
Fuel Filter Specs (BF1212):
Flow Capability: 210gph @ 1psid / >300gph @ 3psid
Filtration: 86% Efficient @ 4 micron / 99% Efficient @ 20 micron
Water Removal: 93% @ 60gph / 87% @ 120gph (based on 2500ppm free water injection)
(emulsified water removal will be approximately 3-5% less)
Burst Pressure: 150psi
Collapse Pressure: 100psid
Read more: Baldwin Fuel Filters - Diesel Bombers

Old 10-06-2009, 11:57 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
you are expressing my thoughts/concerns as well
I just bought an ITP Hutch mod kit

Old 10-07-2009, 12:18 AM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Well Andrew I have that setup plus a Carter pump. I have 66lbs. of preasure measured at a "T" on my return line. I have 180k on my stock fuel pump and about 4k running the prefilter. Not long enough to give you any kind of hard data, but I wouldn't do it any other way.

I'm running the gauge off of the cap you can see here.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:44 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by jkidd_39
I got some nasty stuff in my injectors today so I am planning on the Hutch/Harpoon mod this weekend.

I ordered the kit off DI.

It comes with an inline filter.

However... I want to put a spin-on filter like the Baldwin BF1212.

After discussing this a few very credible and knowledgeable sources, and seeing their views against Pre-fuel pump filters I started to wonder why not.

I understand that this can cause a fuel pressure drop.. sooooo

Who here knows or has had a fuel pump failure with a pre-pump filter set-up? Was the failure contributed to decrease of line pressure?

And what is the best place to put a Fuel pressure gauge to watch the line pressure? Or a low pressure light? Pics rock BTW!!

Here is info on the BF1212
Fuel Filter Specs (BF1212):
Flow Capability: 210gph @ 1psid / >300gph @ 3psid
Filtration: 86% Efficient @ 4 micron / 99% Efficient @ 20 micron
Water Removal: 93% @ 60gph / 87% @ 120gph (based on 2500ppm free water injection)
(emulsified water removal will be approximately 3-5% less)
Burst Pressure: 150psi
Collapse Pressure: 100psid
Read more: Baldwin Fuel Filters - Diesel Bombers
It sounds like you are saying that "someone" is doubting the benefits of a pre-pump filter. If that's the case, I'll take issue with him on this.

I use a Dahl-100 as my pre-pump, and have not had a fuel delivery problem for the entire time it's been installed, about 65,000 miles.

I do not have any horsepower-enhancers, so do not have inordinately high fuel demands, but I also filter it there to two microns, with a corresponding significantly-higher restriction.

I believe the Baldwin BF1212 to be a very good filter, and if I were to do it over again would likely choose it over the Dahl, especially for ease of element change.

In my opinion, there's not a significant-enough restriction in any of the commonly-used pre-pump filters to affect the pump's performance to warrant elimination, and there's a real problem that can develop at the pump's input screen if you do.

Pop

Old 10-07-2009, 12:57 AM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
It sounds like you are saying that "someone" is doubting the benefits of a pre-pump filter. If that's the case, I'll take issue with him on this.

I use a Dahl-100 as my pre-pump, and have not had a fuel delivery problem for the entire time it's been installed, about 65,000 miles.

I do not have any horsepower-enhancers, so do not have inordinately high fuel demands, but I also filter it there to two microns, with a corresponding significantly-higher restriction.

I believe the Baldwin BF1212 to be a very good filter, and if I were to do it over again would likely choose it over the Dahl, especially for ease of element change.

In my opinion, there's not a significant-enough restriction in any of the commonly-used pre-pump filters to affect the pump's performance to warrant elimination, and there's a real problem that can develop at the pump's input screen if you do.

Pop
Thanks for the good info! and to Ranger too!

I just wanted to see if someone had actually had a filter related failure.

I know alot of times we talk about how so and so result could happen if we do X action. And this is a great way to be.. learning from the mistakes and triumphs of others is a great way to learn and understand problems.

So keep the opinions coming.. I will eventually go with a new pump set-up.. i'm thinking either something like Jeff's setup or a new AirDog II..

Old 10-07-2009, 01:38 AM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Old 10-07-2009, 01:43 AM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WA.Ranger
If I could rep you I would! So you have the stock pump being fed by the Carter? or just the Carter?

Old 10-07-2009, 01:50 AM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

I have the BF1212-->Carter-->stock fuel pump. I've had the Carter on there for years as many on here have, and it has worked flawlessly. Here's some good reading on it, make sure you click the first "here" in Cookies 1st post to see the origins.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...pump-pump.html

Old 10-07-2009, 06:27 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jkidd_39
I just wanted to see if someone had actually had a filter related failure.
Not that I recall, but I have seen a handful of non-filter related pump failures, and I can't even count the times we've read about plugged screens in the mixing chamber causing a poor running truck.

If you're only negative is in theory the pre-pump filter MIGHT cause a premature pump failure, compare that against the positives the intank mods were designed to fix.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Originally Posted by F350-6
Not that I recall, but I have seen a handful of non-filter related pump failures, and I can't even count the times we've read about plugged screens in the mixing chamber causing a poor running truck.

If you're only negative is in theory the pre-pump filter MIGHT cause a premature pump failure, compare that against the positives the intank mods were designed to fix.
X2...We have small clear pre-pump filters on ours after the in tank mods were done and I being able to look under the truck at the clear filter to see if and what it has trapped.Let's me know pretty quick when it needs to be changed.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:40 AM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F350-6
I agree.

I am running two of the Baldwin spin on filters, the bf1212 before the pump and the 7633 (I think that's the number) after the pump. I have seen no pressure drop at all via my fuel pressure gauge. I am still running stock injectors. I just don't see how that filter could be any more of a restriction than the little filter that comes with the DI kit.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:02 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WA.Ranger
Well Andrew I have that setup plus a Carter pump. I have 66lbs. of preasure measured at a "T" on my return line. I have 180k on my stock fuel pump and about 4k running the prefilter. Not long enough to give you any kind of hard data, but I wouldn't do it any other way.

I'm running the gauge off of the cap you can see here.

Jeff did the fittings in the carter pump come with it and were they the right size for the 30r9 hose or do i need to get some bigger fittings? also sent you a pm.......

Old 10-07-2009, 10:05 AM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
FYI.. I am for a pre-pump filter.. I just wanted to get some opinions of my peoples.

The conversation I had with my friend was to the fact that he would recommend an in-tank pump.. which would minimize air into the lines and take the whole restriction issue out of the equation..

I think I'm gonna order a carter pump next week.. Seems like a sweet set up. Thanks Jeff!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:52 AM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Bill- I don't remember if the barbed fittings came with the pump or not. It did come with the bracket, but I also used a piece of 1" square tubing as a stand off from the frame. I'm using 3/8" fuel line by the way.

Andrew, your welcome, just bring a Heineken with you the next time you head out West Brother!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:51 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I've been running the ITP mod (with spin-on Baldwin BF1212 filter) for 40K miles now. I'm pretty much stock and I'm still on my original fuel pump (186K and counting) and no extra pump. I've had no issues with it over the 2 years since I've installed it and my OEM fuel pump seems to be doing just fine without any extra help. I have a Carter on the "to-do" wish list, but it's fairly low down the list since everything's been running fine.

Quick Reply: Hutch Mod Concerns