Engine rebuild - my first.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 11:15 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine rebuild - my first.

Alright, everyone.
It's time for me to build myself a new engine for my main truck. The old engine, I'm thinking has just about had it -- I've seen it start to smoke blue after a cold start, I'm pretty sure it has less power than my spare truck, *despite* having a good turbo(and the other being bone stock), and it pours out a ton of blow-by gasses(and yes, I swapped out the IP's just in case)

I've got a spare long-block 7.3 sitting around waiting for a rebuild. It was a 93-94 model, though I don't believe it was factory turbo'd.
I've taken the heads off, and the bores are very smooth. I can't tell anything /wrong/ with it, per se, but when I put it back together I want to make sure I have a good engine.
Oh, the roller lifters are interesting -- all of the rollers are smooth, but some of them have side-wear(like, .010!) where it would have slid up and down against an oil gallery in the cast lifter tube bit of the block.

Now, while I'm putting it together, I'll be adding:
1. Typ4 torque cam(already ground and waiting for this)
2. ARP 7.3 Head studs (have them waiting also)
3. My Wastegated Banks Sidewinder turbo

What I don't know is what else I should do to this engine while it's apart, and what I can afford.
I do think I should probably hone the block -- According to this page, I can do it with a drill and $50 flex hone: Rebuilding International Any thoughts?

Gasket wise, how about these?
Head gaskets and such: RockAuto Parts Catalog
Intake gasket: RockAuto Parts Catalog One of these?

I'm also wondering if I shouldn't replace the motor mounts while I'm at it.
Is this what I want? RockAuto Parts Catalog (Yes, it's a 4x4, F-250)

What else should I be looking at?

Also, while I am attempting to be cheap with this build, I do have some abilities myself -- I'm a machinist, with a mill, lathe and some tools, and access to a CNC mill at times. So I may be able to rig up some sort of measurement tool for some things, depending on what it is.

I don't want to replace everything in the engine, but I'd like to replace what's worn/shot/needing replacement, so knowing what's what is important.

Any tips you guys can give me are appreciated.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:14 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bearings, hone, crosshatch, and rings. Id check to see if the cylinders are true, but i dont think thats really an issue on these. At least that ive ever heard of. Gaskets: just stick to the big names, IE victor reinz or fel pro and you should be set. Could also measure the rods to see if they need work. etc etc

Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 AM
86f350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribed

Old 07-09-2014, 10:56 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
At least that ive ever heard of. Gaskets: just stick to the big names, IE victor reinz or fel pro and you should be set.
Can you link me to a cheap,good set? I don't know many reliable online stores other than Ebay and Amazon(and, I guess, RockAuto), but I don't want to pay Napa prices for it.
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
Could also measure the rods to see if they need work. etc etc
Got any instructions on what to look for?

Old 07-09-2014, 11:55 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For the rods, you just want to make sure the journals arent out of round, and that none are stretched. You will have to find specs from IH and/or machine shop.

Im pretty sure rockauto sells fel pros, but theyre tough to find on thier site. ORiellys has em decently priced. Also, OReillys will price match RockAuto