Hydroboost conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:52 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by strokersace
Thanks for checking. Very interesting info. Now if I could only get Brian's website to come up!
The link is for me at least working now.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:46 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Update:

Originally Posted by strokersace
I'm going to look into the SD van dually rear ends a little closer. They are factory disk brakes but not sure if they are a cab/chassis width or normal like my truck. If it's normal width then I can just do a swap. If not them maybe I can just use the brake components for mine. IIRC the SD vans still have the 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern.
I picked up a complete hydoboost unit from an 02 for $100. Complete with all the hoses, master cylinder, cruise sensor, and something else I'm not thinking of. Going to wait until I get a SD power steering pump to install since my current psp is starting to leak.

Also found a SD van rear end with disk breaks. Bolt pattern is 8 on 6.5 like the OBS but it was 4" narrower on each side, meaning a cab & chassis. Unfortunately the outer hub and brakes have different mounting than the OBS drums.

BUT... I'm thinking the Dana 80 regular truck rear end is the same width as the OBS dually. And the mounting on the outside of the axles should be the same, so maybe I can just put the SD van disk hubs on the outside of the truck axle??? Gonna check this one out a little more!!

Old 11-21-2009, 10:28 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
strokerace, I still haven't gotten mine done yet. Do you think the 02 will be a direct bolt on? Is the part # 2CZ3-2005-BB? Let me know how is goes, I might have time next month to start mine.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:05 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
As far as I know it's a direct bolton. Not sure when I'll get around to installing. It will be several months at best I'm guessing. Have several other things in boxes to get installed first. I'll check the part number and see if it's the same as yours.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:20 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Thanks strokersace.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:56 AM
coreylasalle
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what was the outcome with the 02 booster? i have no braking power, if its the vac pump or just a leak idk, but id rather spend my time and money converting to hydroboost

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._677061051___#

is this all id need, plus the hoses and stuff?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:40 AM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by coreylasalle
what was the outcome with the 02 booster? i have no braking power, if its the vac pump or just a leak idk, but id rather spend my time and money converting to hydroboost

Power Brake Booster by Cardone - Part 52-7079 - Advance Auto Parts

is this all id need, plus the hoses and stuff?
Corey, Thanks for bringing this back up. I'd forgot I started this thread. As for the unit from the 02 being a direct swap, NO IT WAS NOT!!! The mounting bolts that go thru the firewall are different so I had to cut them off and punch out the original studs, then drill new holes to match the firewall and brake pedal and use Grade 8 hardware. Also the actuator shaft/arm that attaches to the brake pedal was about 1 5/8" longer on the 02 hydroboost unit than the OBS. I had to cut a section out of it and re-weld to fit right. The pressure lines from the 02 would have worked but the fittings on the top of our steering box are different than the SD's so I had to go buy new lines anyway.

So to do it over again, I'd do like in the link below and buy new for a 1997 F-superduty as everything is just a bolt on, no real custom stuff. For all the time, modification, and new/used parts I had to buy along the way, it would have been cheaper and easier to just get the right stuff the first time.

this link: www.obspowerstroke.com will have the hose and hydroboost part numbers you need to buy.

I will say this: My braking is MUCH better than before. I didn't to anything else to the brake system outside of bleed it to get all the air out. When I pulled the vacuum booster, it was leaking pretty bad (which I didn't know) so that was why my brakes sucked before. I had my roommate pump the brake pedal when I bled them after the hydroboost and he didn't do a very good job so I gotta redo that. But so far I'm extremely happy with how it stops now.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:55 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I was the one that said they were the same. I'm sorry about that. I should have done some measuring.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 PM
coreylasalle
Elder User

what were you thinking??? haha. well its good to know. my brakes feel like theres bout no assist. i just ran a hose right from the pump to the booster to make sure it wasnt leaks or somethin. helped a lil bit but still rather bad.

how would calipers that leaked effect the situation? put new pads on and noticed slight leakage when compressing the driver side.

and whats carquest? who sells that carquest parts? im assuming advance or autozone would be able to get the right stuff, though online it shows none of the local stores having the hydraulic boosters or anything in stock.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:00 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
CarQuest is simply another parts house like Advance and Auto Zone. Leaking calipers would certainly affect your stopping power some, but I think you might have other issues.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:06 PM
coreylasalle
Elder User

yeah just curious, it would just decrease the pressure to the driver side pad, as i noticed when the driver side was still half there and the pass side was metal to metal. just checking. this brake over haul is gonna start getting costly lol.

thanks

Old 05-05-2010, 10:46 AM
coreylasalle
Elder User

so, the hydroboost from advance doesnt come w the rod or what ever its called that goes between the booster and the master. does any one konw where to get one?

Old 05-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Brians97F250Crew
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I got my booster I was lucky to get hold of a new one in the box. If you can go to a large store or one build into a warehouse you'll have better luck. Ask them to look at all the ones they have in stock. Rebuilders will replace old units with new ones if they don't have useable cores also if it's a rebox from another vendor. Took me a couple boxes but found a brand new one with the rod included. If you know someone that works at a parts house it might help. Good luck.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:10 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Cruise sensor? What is that?

Old 05-08-2010, 12:42 PM
coreylasalle
Elder User

its the rod thats between the master and the booster.

i have had no such luck finding one, any suggestions

Quick Reply: Hydroboost conversion...