General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

I've got bats in my attic!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:48 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got bats in my attic!

I have 25 bats haging in my attic vent and they have filled it half full of guano. Now the guano is all over the side of the house and piling in front of the basement door. I have a screen on the inside so they can't get in. Do bats migrate when it gets cold or do they hibernate? What is the best way to get rid of them? Should we call animal control? Comments, questions, concerns?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:13 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Animal control.

Bats rock. But I wouldn't want them inside the house. For one thing, they're notorious carriers of rabies. But their value in gorging on thousands upon thousands of mosquitos and other flying insects cannot be overstated. Pretty cool animals actually.

Again. Animal control.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Find where they are entering the structure. Then fab a one-way gate. If they are prevented from reentering they will relocate. A local pest control service can help.
Here is an article that has some valuable info; http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcbats.htm

Old 09-21-2009, 09:41 PM
slappysdump
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait till they leave the roost at dusk, then cover the vent with some plastic sheeting or foamboard. When they come back they wont be able to get back in. Wear a dust mask and rubber gloves (at least) when you clean up the mess they left. Several years ago I had a colony (about 200) of bats in my attic. It was a time consuming and nerve racking experience to get them out. Great stuff foam is awsome for sealing up places where they get in. My now ex Brother in Law and I had to wear Tyvek suits and respirators to clean out the 3 lawn sized garbage bags of guano--then we sprayed the attic with a mixture of bleach and water. I also put a bat house up on a pole away from the house to give the bats a place to stay where they would not cause any problems.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:58 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slappysdump
Wait till they leave the roost at dusk, then cover the vent with some plastic sheeting or foamboard. When they come back they wont be able to get back in. Wear a dust mask and rubber gloves (at least) when you clean up the mess they left. Several years ago I had a colony (about 200) of bats in my attic. It was a time consuming and nerve racking experience to get them out. Great stuff foam is awsome for sealing up places where they get in. My now ex Brother in Law and I had to wear Tyvek suits and respirators to clean out the 3 lawn sized garbage bags of guano--then we sprayed the attic with a mixture of bleach and water. I also put a bat house up on a pole away from the house to give the bats a place to stay where they would not cause any problems.
That's a great idea. Bats are terrific to have around......But again....Just not IN your house!

Old 09-22-2009, 03:46 AM
fl1a
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might contact Ad***** Rid A Critter. Do a search for them, they have a good website.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:08 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
At least they are not in your belfry!!

Old 09-22-2009, 09:20 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for all the help folks. I think I will call animal control and get them out then build a bat house. I have some screen wire to put over the vent to keep them out.

ckal704, exactly what is a belfry?

Old 09-22-2009, 11:33 PM
slappysdump
Senior User
Plans for bat houses can be found online. Its also important to place the house in a suitable place. Mine is about 30 yards from my pond and in an area that gets direct sunlight (bats like warm) I also wrapped the exterior with tar paper. It is on a wood post about 20 ft tall. BTW if you are going to pay someone to get rid of them--don't waste your money. Doing an exclusion is easy...at dusk watch the area where the bats are roosting, after the first bat leaves the rest will be out within about ten to fifteen minutes. Then get a ladder and a work light climb up there and cover the opening. You may want to have the bat house up before you do the exclusion so the bats will have someplace to go other than another vent or behind a shudder etc. When I sealed up my attic the bats were flying in circles around my house going from peak to peak looking for a way in...looked like a scene from Hitch***** "Birds". No problems since though.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:28 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thendrix
exactly what is a belfry?
It's a siege tower; to access the tops of castle walls during combat in medieval times, etc.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:51 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by thendrix
exactly what is a belfry?

–noun, plural -fries.
1. a bell tower, either attached to a church or other building or standing apart.
2. the part of a steeple or other structure in which a bell is hung.
3. a frame of timberwork that holds or encloses a bell.
4. Slang. head; mind: a belfry full of curious notions.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:16 PM
iluvtrucks65
New User
if i had bats in my house, i would move.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:35 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you ever watch the Great Outdoors? Grab a lamp shade and a badminton racket.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Redneck answer 12 gauge, 9 shot 3 1/2 magnums, beer, spotlight

Find plans online for a bast house
Build and mount it.
Wait till they leave at night seal off the hole.

One comment on the expanding foam it works great but be careful with it around door and window frames. Also if you use it to keep out rats, mice, racoons stuff some 1/4 wire chicken fencing in the hole first.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:40 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

See above definitions.
In this part of the country, I used to hear the phrase "She's got bats in her belfry" which I equate to "lights on-no one home"

Quick Reply: I've got bats in my attic!