Sponsored by:

Anyone recognize this Ex?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:45 PM
Haulinbass02
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone recognize this Ex?

This is being traded in at a dealership and I am making a deal on it before it goes to auction tomorrow morning. Not wanting to stalk anyone just wanting to see if I can get any additional info on it.
All I know is that it is a 2004 Eddie Bauer, 6.0l and the owner is supposedly in Oklahoma. Being traded in to a dealership in Austin, TX. Any help?

Old 08-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Haulinbass02
Mountain Pass
Disregard, after seeing the pics of the interior and some other pics, it is rougher than a dry corn cob.......and the price they are asking isn't worth it. Already working on another deal for a different one.....hope to join the Excursion owner club this week....

Old 08-02-2017, 01:32 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Buy it for $500 at auction and drive it until it blows up,

Old 08-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Haulinbass02
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Buy it for $500 at auction and drive it until it blows up,
Thought about it but this is the tow vehicle/family vehicle so we still need a nice ride when we vacation with our camper....

Old 08-02-2017, 02:38 PM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Haulinbass02
rougher than a dry corn cob
Bwahahahahaha

Thank you sir, I can't wait to use this line

Old 08-02-2017, 03:41 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Thought about it but this is the tow vehicle/family vehicle so we still need a nice ride when we vacation with our camper....
Are you only looking at those silly deezles or are you also considering strong reliable gas rigs too?

Old 08-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Haulinbass02
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Are you only looking at those silly deezles or are you also considering strong reliable gas rigs too?
Umm gas guzzling V-10? Considered it but not sure it is THAT much of an upgrade over what I have now. 2010 Suburban 2500 with 6.0L V-8. Sucks gas like its going out of style and loves to run at high RPMs. Tows decent but my piddly little 8000k TT shouldn't cause me anxiety when we go camping....It's a little nerve racking to have the engine running high and trans shifting to stay in GM's dumb powerband.

I'm not new to diesels so the 6.0L TD doesn't have anything to it that I'm not already aware of.

Sell me on the V-10 and I might change my tune.......

Old 08-02-2017, 06:37 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
No doubt, the mighty V-10 is thirsty, like sailor on his first day of shore leave , but not all of the deezles out there running around are actually knocking down the high mileage that some of them do get. Many of them really aren't all that much better in the MPG department than the 6.8, don't get me wrong, most do get better mileage just not leaps and bounds better.
Back when my EX was bone stock ('05 V-10 4R100 4X4 3.73s) I did do some part time daily driving with it, on my 50/50 mix of highway/town driving it routinely got 14-ish MPG. My best full tank in it was up in ME on a very hot day with 6 adults onboard with a similar mix of 50/50 hwy/town driving where it got 15.5 MPG. Fast forward to today, it now has a 4" lift(modded X/modded B codes), 35"X12.5" tires, 4.88 gears (effective ratio of 4.39), Banks headers, Aeroturbine 3030XL muffler and a set of custom tunes from 5Star Tuning. The only unloaded long trip it has logged in this configuration (less the muffler) burned three tanks of gas, all calculated out to be 12.5 MPG mostly at 65 MPH with the cruise control on.
For the past few years it has served as our dedicated tow rig with virtually no daily solo usage. Our TT is a very big three slide Jayco Eagle that is 41' hitch to bumper and weighs 11,000lbs. Most of our towing camping trips are mostly highway where it regularly gets between 8 and 9.5 MPG depending on weather, speed and terrain. Shorter weekend getaway tow trips with more rural roads on the route see 7 to 8 MPG. With the current configuration of the EX it doesn't have any problems handling the big TT, cruises comfortably at 65/70 MPH (unless Twitch is following me, then I go faster to make his 6.0 breathe heavy) and will hold OD on most Interstate Highway grades, only dropping down a gear on the bigger hills (we are Easterner and haven't towed out West to the big mountains yet). Between our old 9,500lb 31' TH and the current TT we have towed about 35,000 miles with this EX, and ever since the upgrades have loved every mile!
I've seen so many times where folks have mentioned being uncomfortable with a gas rigs higher RPMs when working it hard, I really don't get the concern, that's how the engine is supposed to operate and you aren't going to Hurt it doing it. I never got queasy riding my old sport bike when I was making 11,000 RPM shifts, just the opposite, I enjoyed what the bike could do when operated as it was designed.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Haulinbass02
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
No doubt, the mighty V-10 is thirsty, like sailor on his first day of shore leave , but not all of the deezles out there running around are actually knocking down the high mileage that some of them do get. Many of them really aren't all that much better in the MPG department than the 6.8, don't get me wrong, most do get better mileage just not leaps and bounds better.
Back when my EX was bone stock ('05 V-10 4R100 4X4 3.73s) I did do some part time daily driving with it, on my 50/50 mix of highway/town driving it routinely got 14-ish MPG. My best full tank in it was up in ME on a very hot day with 6 adults onboard with a similar mix of 50/50 hwy/town driving where it got 15.5 MPG. Fast forward to today, it now has a 4" lift(modded X/modded B codes), 35"X12.5" tires, 4.88 gears (effective ratio of 4.39), Banks headers, Aeroturbine 3030XL muffler and a set of custom tunes from 5Star Tuning. The only unloaded long trip it has logged in this configuration (less the muffler) burned three tanks of gas, all calculated out to be 12.5 MPG mostly at 65 MPH with the cruise control on.
For the past few years it has served as our dedicated tow rig with virtually no daily solo usage. Our TT is a very big three slide Jayco Eagle that is 41' hitch to bumper and weighs 11,000lbs. Most of our towing camping trips are mostly highway where it regularly gets between 8 and 9.5 MPG depending on weather, speed and terrain. Shorter weekend getaway tow trips with more rural roads on the route see 7 to 8 MPG. With the current configuration of the EX it doesn't have any problems handling the big TT, cruises comfortably at 65/70 MPH (unless Twitch is following me, then I go faster to make his 6.0 breathe heavy) and will hold OD on most Interstate Highway grades, only dropping down a gear on the bigger hills (we are Easterner and haven't towed out West to the big mountains yet). Between our old 9,500lb 31' TH and the current TT we have towed about 35,000 miles with this EX, and ever since the upgrades have loved every mile!
That is better than my suburban, but my question is, how did your EX do in STOCK form towing? It will be a while before I get around to doing any modding to ANY EX I get so I'm looking at stock performance right now.

I realize that diesels, especially the 6.0L, are hit or miss on performance and economy. I had a 6.7L Cummins that ran great, had no issues and got decent mileage. A buddy had a similar truck and it was always broke, don't know why.

I'm really rolling the dice here on this purchase, I fully understand that, but feel that the best shot at performance and better economy will be with the diesel. Not that the V-10 is a bad platform at all. I considered it heavily, especially after talking to a fellow camper who has one. I just didn't think it would do and offer what I want now and in the future and I would kick my self for not getting an oil burner.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:38 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
My EX when stock spent a lot of time in Drive vs OD due to the 3.73 gears and the 9,500lb TH, it would downshift if we ran over a shadow, but it always got us to where we were going. Back then it used to get 6/7.5 MPG, before any of the mods. The single change to 4.88 gears with the same tires and load jumped the towing mileage up to a solid 9.0 MPG. The V-10 makes it best power and runs more efficiently at higher RPMs than it sees with the wimpy 3.73 gears, but some EXs did come with the optional 4.30 gears, a much better choice for general all around performance and especially towing.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:45 PM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
V10 vs 7.3 or 6.0?

Which would I pick?

V10 vs diesel...same miles same cost I would pick the diesel. If diesel cost was over 20% of the cost of a V10 I would pick the V10.

Diesels typically cost more up front, they cost more to maintain, they cost more to drive and they are much Louder than gassers.

Used hard a Excursion will fall apart around a 7.3. So getting a diesel with over 200k will need some work.

So in my opinion if you can afford the diesel that's what you should get.

But be advised Ford puts 2V V10s in panel van F550s that haul ALOT of weight.

Both the V10 and the diesels will work. I prefer the 7.3 over the 6.0 though. I prefer th V10 over the diesels because I can run one into the ground and put a new V10 in for about $5k and run another 2 to 300,000 miles. A new diesel would cost double what a V10 costs.

In my opinion it's your preference.....if you like diesels get that if you like gassers get the V10.

If you live in a cold climate a V10 tends to be more easy on batteries.....which cost $300 every few years for a diesel.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:29 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
That is better than my suburban, but my question is, how did your EX do in STOCK form towing? It will be a while before I get around to doing any modding to ANY EX I get so I'm looking at stock performance right now.

I realize that diesels, especially the 6.0L, are hit or miss on performance and economy. I had a 6.7L Cummins that ran great, had no issues and got decent mileage. A buddy had a similar truck and it was always broke, don't know why.

I'm really rolling the dice here on this purchase, I fully understand that, but feel that the best shot at performance and better economy will be with the diesel. Not that the V-10 is a bad platform at all. I considered it heavily, especially after talking to a fellow camper who has one. I just didn't think it would do and offer what I want now and in the future and I would kick my self for not getting an oil burner.
I towed once with mine when it was all stock. 2005 V10, 4x4, 3.73, 8500 lb enclosed car trailer, ~1000 miles. Did fine, no issues. BUT I spent time making sure the alignment was right, added zerks to the lower ball joints, greased everything, and tightened up the steering box.

It never did anything bad but control is confidence inspiring with the new springs. I changed my springs because I was curious what the improvement would be and I wanted the truck to sit a little higher.

HTH

Old 08-04-2017, 01:16 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I have the EXACT same setup as WE3ZS with the exception of his gears, mine has the optional 4.30 gears in it. I love the truck to death, but I wanted a diesel. Went out and bought an F-250 with the 6.0 and haven't been able to drive it more than a day since I bought it because it keeps breaking down. I couldn't believe the power and fun of the diesel when I first got it, it was AMAZING! Then it broke down and I've been back in the EX... The 6.8 is a completely different truck, and I LOVE it more than I did before the F-350. There is such a difference between the two motors I can never pick a favorite. The F-250 broke down about a mile from my house the last time. I walked to the house, got my EX and tow straps. Friend was in the F-250 and I towed with the EX. The 6.8 felt like nothing was back there. It honestly felt like I was just driving slowly through the neighborhood cruising along.

I can't tell you which is better because they're both good. I'm glad I have both, it makes you appreciate them more. I personally suggest the 6.8, it's an amazing setup and will serve your needs for a lot less money.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
the 6.0 and 6.8 each have definite advantages in some areas that the other motor doesn't

unloaded, the 6.0 hates slight inclines. it will shift into 5th (OD) and chug along...but then boost falls off...and then speed drops...and then she drops a gear and suddenly it's a rocket ship. rinse repeat. freaking annoying over long grades

exact same stretch of road, the 6.8 and 4.30 gears never once downshifted out of OD. held speed with zero issues in OD

6.8 with 3.73 does decent also. But I can tell a huge difference between 4.30 and 3.73 gears.

best of luck finding a good 6.0. A 6.8 meets and exceeds every single need I have. But I miss my Diesel something fierce. Something else nobody has mentioned is the trans behind the 6.0. The 5R110 is a pure beast. Nothing inherently wrong with the 4R100....but it cannot compete with a 5R110.