Sponsored by: Moser

My retirement present to me

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:21 PM
rescue48
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My retirement present to me

I am approaching my retirement date from the U.S. Air Force, after 20 years of service. This is my gift to myself. 2009 F-150, 5.4 V8 extended cab with fold-a-cover. My next door neighbor is a general manager at the local dealership and was able to take the $31500 sticker on this one down to $19000 after using the cash for clunkers on my 10 year old Ram 1500. I've been completely pleased with it from day one. I've been reading this forum for the last month now since I've had this truck and have found some good reading. As far as some of the likes and dislikes I've seen here; I like the new tail lights. I think though that it does make a difference with the vehicle color. They look good on my silver truck. I would have to agree with going smoke on darker colors. I also like the new front end compared with comments on the previous model year front ends. Again, I think vehicle color matters, as my shiny front end looks good with the silver. The only thing that I really am not fond of is this new cap-less fueling thingie. I used to have a keyed gas cap on the old Ram. I just like that security to stop thieves. Also, I do wish the head rest was a little further back.

I am enjoying the forums, and look forward to getting good information here. Thanks for having a fun place for the Blue Oval fans to hang out.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congradulations, on your retirement, and Present... I wish you the best of luck with her, and also would like to thank you for your service to this great country, and keeping it free for my family and I.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:31 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by rescue48
I am approaching my retirement date from the U.S. Air Force, after 20 years of service. This is my gift to myself. 2009 F-150, 5.4 V8 extended cab with fold-a-cover. My next door neighbor is a general manager at the local dealership and was able to take the $31500 sticker on this one down to $19000 after using the cash for clunkers on my 10 year old Ram 1500. I've been completely pleased with it from day one. I've been reading this forum for the last month now since I've had this truck and have found some good reading. As far as some of the likes and dislikes I've seen here; I like the new tail lights. I think though that it does make a difference with the vehicle color. They look good on my silver truck. I would have to agree with going smoke on darker colors. I also like the new front end compared with comments on the previous model year front ends. Again, I think vehicle color matters, as my shiny front end looks good with the silver. The only thing that I really am not fond of is this new cap-less fueling thingie. I used to have a keyed gas cap on the old Ram. I just like that security to stop thieves. Also, I do wish the head rest was a little further back.

I am enjoying the forums, and look forward to getting good information here. Thanks for having a fun place for the Blue Oval fans to hang out.
Welcome to FTE, congrats on your retirement and special gift and thank you for your dedicated service.

Tim

Old 09-06-2009, 08:35 PM
rescue48
Freshman User

Finally figured out how to post pictures. hehe Thanks for the well wishes.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:39 PM
pkvir
Senior User
Congratulations on your truck and future retirement. Most of all, Thank you for your service.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats a bad lookin truck... I am a fool for silver, The only thing I might add, but would be at war with myself over it, is 2 flatblack stripes up the hood, and over the top... Or maybe 1 big one??? Good lookin truck

Old 09-06-2009, 09:01 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Welcome to FTE! And, thank you for your dedicated service to our country my friend! Congrats on the retirement and buying your truck! I am sure you will be pleased with it for a long time to come.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:19 AM
theboomboom
New User
You've got a nice truck man. I've done a lot of research on these trucks, and came across one of these:
http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/...9~8U5Z_9C268_B

They're probably available from the dealer too. Hopefully it will help ease some of your fears about thieves trying to get at your gas.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Kken
New User
great looking truck and thanks for helping keep this great country of ours free!! i found a locking gas plug also at tascafordparts.com you may want to check out, i couldnt post a direct link to it but the part numer is 8U5Z-9C268-B and they sell it for 16.99. Hope that helps

Old 09-07-2009, 03:00 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds good on all counts! As for the headrest issues, I cant verify this to be true... but check one of the posts towards the bottom of this thread for some info to ponder:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-headrest.html

Old 09-08-2009, 03:25 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
welcome to FTE and great looking truck. especially on that price.

I'm 1/2 way to where you are and can't wait to get there. Hoping I can get myself a cool retirement gift such as you have.

keep up the good work, and stick around. FTE is a bunch of great guys...and a few girls as well (they stay hidden though)

Old 09-08-2009, 07:38 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Congrats on your retirement and thank you for your service. Nice truck and thats probably one of the best deals I've heard. Think about it, for the price of a loaded Kia, you got all that truck. Good Luck.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:21 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Major congrats on your retirement and thanks for your many years of service. Dislikes of such things as taillights and grilles is really superficial and over the years sure don't amount to any difference in the way the truck will work for you. May you have many happy years of driving your new machine.

Headrests on almost every vehicle are being moved forward to meet rear-end crash standards, especially given the number of people that drive with their seats excessively reclined.

It sounds like you got a great deal on the truck too!

George

Old 09-08-2009, 03:30 PM
rescue48
Freshman User
Thanks for all the positive comments. I am very pleased with the "Silver Bullet". I gotta tell ya, when my dealer told me what they did with the old clunkers vehicles it was kinda like putting down a beloved pet. That old Dodge was a good, 10 year old truck, but I couldn't pass up that deal. I sure plan to get at least 10 years out of this truck. It has surpassed every expectation I've had so far. It's easy for me to say it's the nicest truck I've ever owned. I'm the kind of guy who holds onto a vehicle for many years and pays for it. Our old van was 10 before the wifey got her new one 3 years ago. I've checked on those gas caps and that headrest thread. Thanks for the info. This place is a gold mine of information; full of very nice folks too! Thanks again.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:42 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Nice ride. Thanks for your service (it appears both military and FD - do I see an ARFF rig in the background?)

Quick Reply: My retirement present to me