Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Do Tuners do this to 7.3L's?

Old 09-05-2009, 06:24 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Do Tuners do this to 7.3L's?

This is from a Powerstroke that had a tuner on it:

Notice the star pattern scoring. Do Tuners do this? Why does this happen, excess fuel?

Old 09-05-2009, 06:44 PM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Iirc the star pattern appears because of the way a tuner changes the timing and adds fuel. I don't believe it harms anything though. I know that during the 6.0 crisis Ford would look for the star pattern as proof that a tuner was being used and would then deny warranty.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:03 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Is that scoring? Does it adversely affect the motor?

Old 09-05-2009, 07:13 PM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes the 6.0 pistons like the one in your picture had alot more star patterns. It was not uncommon to see a competely stock truck with that exact same pattern.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:25 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDoodie
Yes the 6.0 pistons like the one in your picture had alot more star patterns. It was not uncommon to see a competely stock truck with that exact same pattern.
So in a nutshell Greg, a chipped truck would have more of this scoring or about the same as stock, depending on fueling amounts?? This is a bad thing or is this normal?? Thanks, o yea, nice pics mechelement Jason.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:42 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Ok, so it is scoring due to overfueling, which could be caused by:
  • poor injector timing caused by tuners ( note: stock tunes have been found off spec )
  • poor injectors
  • poor spray nozzle(s)

I'm not sure if those are correct. Does this happen with 7.3L's running DP Tuners? Has anyone cracked one open to see? Is this bad for a diesel motor?

Old 09-05-2009, 07:56 PM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by big poppa pump
So in a nutshell Greg, a chipped truck would have more of this scoring or about the same as stock, depending on fueling amounts?? This is a bad thing or is this normal?? Thanks, o yea, nice pics mechelement Jason.
No its not an over fueling issue. Its is caused by the timing of the injection event.

When the star pattern is happening the injection event is too soon or too late. The fuel is supposed to be dispensed inside the bowl, but if the bowl is not close enough to the injector tip when its told to fire, it can spray the top of the pistons like in the picture.

Look at this picture of my last motor. Look closely at hole #2 (closest to you) and you can see dark circles inside the piston bowl. This is where it should be.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mechelement
  • poor injector timing caused by tuners ( note: stock tunes have been found off spec )
  • poor injectors
  • poor spray nozzle(s)

I'm not sure if those are correct. Does this happen with 7.3L's running DP Tuners? Has anyone cracked one open to see? Is this bad for a diesel motor?
From what I have read, yes, yes, and yes. It is not confined to any one tuner. Can happen on a stock truck with bad nozzles. Let's not finger point at tuners though it is easy to do because one could say my timing was off and therefore the SOI caused this. There is a lot more to SOI than just when it happens. Your ICP, type and health of injectors, EOT, cylinder pressure and on and on.

EDIT: don't read this as over fueling from my response, just not happening where it is supposed to sometimes.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:34 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
From what I have read, yes, yes, and yes. It is not confined to any one tuner. Can happen on a stock truck with bad nozzles. Let's not finger point at tuners though it is easy to do because one could say my timing was off and therefore the SOI caused this. There is a lot more to SOI than just when it happens. Your ICP, type and health of injectors, EOT, cylinder pressure and on and on.

EDIT: don't read this as over fueling from my response, just not happening where it is supposed to sometimes.
Good points Mike

Old 09-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Does this happen with 7.3L's running aftermarket custom tunes from company's like DP Tuner, Power Hungry Performance, BTS, Tony Wildman, Spartan Diesel, Edge, Superchips, SCT, or ANY other custom tuner not mentioned?
Fixed it for ya.

Stewart

Old 09-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
  • poor injectors
  • poor spray nozzle(s)

This went round and round on a few other forums, and the last good thread saw a lot of people coming out and having seen this on trucks with different tunes, trucks that were bone stock that never saw a tune, and even on other diesel engines like Duramax and Cummins. So at this point it can't be pinpointed to one single tuner, or even a single issue. Here is that person's quote, which I found quite interesting:
I have a steady diet of bone stock work/oil field trucks come through my shop. All brands, all years. I see the star pattern quite often on these trucks when I tear down a motor. In fact, I have a 05 Cummins in the shop right now that is torn down. Two of the pistons have the star pattern on them, one really bad. One can only assume that the root cause is the injector. If not, all of the cylinders would have the pattern.

So, just to add some more confusion to the discussion, it is my thought that lots of idling and running the trucks when the cylinders aren't fully warmed up are the root cause of most of the star patterns. Throw in some injector nozzles that get waddled out by water or debris or perhaps were out of spec when they were produced, you have the makings of combustion event that is happening outside of the combustion bowl.

I have never seen the star pattern on extremely high mile motors that I have torn down that were just run hard their whole life with minimal idling. On the other hand, I have torn down a few 6.0's and 5.9's that have run off the shelf programmers most of their life that have the star pattern. I could contribute that to a fueling/timing issue.

It's too hard to throw a blanket statement on this issue.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:18 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
It just seems like everyone comes here and immediately wants to throw a tuner on their 7.3. Then all the folks who have tuners jump in and encourage.

I use my truck for work and have read nothing, but good things about the DP Tuner on this site and I'm sure it's great... The claims of better fuel economy, efficiency, more power, torque, etc. Hell, that makes me want to buy one after reading all that good stuff, call it a business expense and write it off.

Well, the reality of it is, it's best to go over that motor with a fine toothed comb before slapping a tuner in it. Even then, it could be hit or miss.

I find it interesting that person mentions not finding scoring on stock, high mileage motors which were used daily. My wife told me the day we bought this truck, "We should keep the motor in stock form, all those folks who throw tuners in there tear them up. This truck needs to last." There's a guy shoeing here who has more than 450k miles on his OBS 7.3L. IIRC, he installed a different turbo, exhaust, downpipes and intake. It doesn't have a tuner and I couldn't keep up with him through the hills.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:54 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
It just seems like everyone comes here and immediately wants to throw a tuner on their 7.3. Then all the folks who have tuners jump in and encourage.
You say that like it's a BAD thing!

Well, the reality of it is, it's best to go over that motor with a fine toothed comb before slapping a tuner in it. Even then, it could be hit or miss.

Then why bother suggesting it?

My wife told me the day we bought this truck, "We should keep the motor in stock form, all those folks who throw tuners in there tear them up.
I would agree with someone who believes that using a custom tune to unleash the power left on the table by Ford's stock programming will probably shorten the overall lifespan of the engine, but to make a blanket, all-inclusive statement that all of us are tearing them up is a bit over the top.

Stewart

Old 09-06-2009, 07:24 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDoodie
No its not an over fueling issue. Its is caused by the timing of the injection event.

When the star pattern is happening the injection event is too soon or too late. The fuel is supposed to be dispensed inside the bowl, but if the bowl is not close enough to the injector tip when its told to fire, it can spray the top of the pistons like in the picture.

Look at this picture of my last motor. Look closely at hole #2 (closest to you) and you can see dark circles inside the piston bowl. This is where it should be.
Well, besides learning something, notice I just said a CHIP, very interesting, never seen that before. Thanks for the explaination Greg.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:15 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
You say that like it's a BAD thing!
LOL.

[/b]

Then why bother suggesting it?
I'd assume if the motor has been gone through very carefully and everything was in excellent working order, you'd stand a better chance of no scoring w/ a good tuner. That's strictly an engineering hypothesis. Then look what Tenn01PSD350 states. Seems like it could happen regardless of what tuner and what shape your motor is in.

I would agree with someone who believes that using a custom tune to unleash the power left on the table by Ford's stock programming will probably shorten the overall lifespan of the engine, but to make a blanket, all-inclusive statement that all of us are tearing them up is a bit over the top.

Stewart
Seems like a reasonable statement from someone with limited experience with diesel motors based from their personal observations. She doesn't work on diesels or diagnose their issues. Hey, she knew enough to stay away from the 6.0.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do Tuners do this to 7.3L's?