6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

About to buy an exhaust system today.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Jeremy2792
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to buy an exhaust system today.

I am about to buy a 5" MagnaFlow exhaust Turbo back-Aluminized. If the guy backs down on the price at all I should be picking it up today. If someone could respond quickly I'd like to know a little more information about it before I purchase it.

Most of the people that I've talked too in regards to exhaust for my 2004 6.0 Diesel F-250 have said to go with a 4". All that I have done to the truck is a SuperChip. It's lifted 8" on 37"s [Obviously not a performance mod]

I spoke with the seller for the exhaust and he told me that there is no power loss if you get a 5" and it won't damage anything. The 4" you see power gains though? Can someone explain the difference between the 4" and 5" and exhaust the pros and cons of each? I tried searching the forum but I couldn't come up with any specific to the questions that I had.

Much appreciated.
-Jeremy.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:49 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
I doubt very seriously it will be 5" at the turbo, where it counts. If the price is a steal then steal it.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:56 PM
Jeremy2792
Senior User
It's 5" from the turbo back. You have to beat in the firewall for the exhaust to fit and not rattle.

So this 5" isn't going to HURT my truck, correct?

Old 08-31-2009, 03:11 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
No it won't hurt your truck, but there's really no need for it. I am running a 3.5" downpipe to 4" exhaust and have dynoed 517 at the rear wheels. I think 5" is really useless. In this months issue of diesel power they did a 6.0L build in stages and every exhaust system they used was 3.5/4". Not one was 4" turbo back. IMHO NO it won't hurt your truck, but it's gonna be a PAIN to keep it from rattling against the firewall.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Jeremy2792
Senior User
This guy is selling me the full turbo back exhaust for $175. He said it's 3months old and has an $85 exhaust tip on it. I saw pictures and it looks immaculate. So as long as the 5" isn't going to hurt my truck, but going to sound better than than my stock exhaust. I don't think I could find a good 4" that cheap.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:02 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
like everyone said it's probably not 5" from the turbo back. and that is a good thing. for the price your buying it you could always get a smaller down pipe and still have a nice exhaust system for way less then they normally cost. also not only will the exhaust sound better than stock, but it will lower you EGT's which is one of biggest reason people upgrade exhaust systems.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Jeremy2792
Senior User
Originally Posted by adambomb
like everyone said it's probably not 5" from the turbo back. and that is a good thing. for the price your buying it you could always get a smaller down pipe and still have a nice exhaust system for way less then they normally cost. also not only will the exhaust sound better than stock, but it will lower you EGT's which is one of biggest reason people upgrade exhaust systems.
What exactly are EGTs? Exhaust Gas Temperature?

Old 09-01-2009, 12:43 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy2792
What exactly are EGTs? Exhaust Gas Temperature?
Why are you buying exhaust if you need to ask that question? Also, is this system stainless or aluminized steel? I would only put on a stainless steel system. The factory exhaust is even stainless steel, so a cheap aluminized aftermarket system would be a downgrade. Also, no way I would put anything over 4" on my truck, 5" is just overkill.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Jeremy2792
Senior User
Originally Posted by cartmanea
Why are you buying exhaust if you need to ask that question? Also, is this system stainless or aluminized steel? I would only put on a stainless steel system. The factory exhaust is even stainless steel, so a cheap aluminized aftermarket system would be a downgrade. Also, no way I would put anything over 4" on my truck, 5" is just overkill.

Well, I am not buying the exhaust for any kind of EGT problem. I am buying the exhaust because it sounds better and it's a great price. The exhaust is aluminized-with a lifetime warranty [rust or anything] There is no difference in performance because of the material that the exhaust is made out of, correct? Can you explain why 5" is overkill? What makes it over kill? That's mainly why I made this thread because as you can tell, I am not very knowledageable about the subject [Ask me about Dodge Vipers and I can tell you anything you need to know all day long, because it's what I specialize in] but when it comes to a diesel truck. That's why I depend on this forum for my knowledge which has been great so far.

Thank you for your help, for that it is appreciated.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
I'm on my iPhone so I can't type much. But use the search feature and you can read why 5" is overkill unless you push 500-600hp

Old 09-01-2009, 01:09 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Well, I am not buying the exhaust for any kind of EGT problem. I am buying the exhaust because it sounds better and it's a great price. The exhaust is aluminized-with a lifetime warranty [rust or anything] There is no difference in performance because of the material that the exhaust is made out of, correct? Can you explain why 5" is overkill? What makes it over kill? That's mainly why I made this thread because as you can tell, I am not very knowledageable about the subject [Ask me about Dodge Vipers and I can tell you anything you need to know all day long, because it's what I specialize in] but when it comes to a diesel truck. That's why I depend on this forum for my knowledge which has been great so far.

Thank you for your help, for that it is appreciated.
Is it warrantied to you for lifetime or just the original owner? The stainless kits will look better longer, even low grade stainless will oxidize though, as you can see with the stock system. 5" is overkill because as the previous person stated, you need to be making at least 500-600 hp to benefit from the increased flow, personally I'd rather have 1" more clearance to my spare tire so I can stuff a larger spare under there.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Jeremy2792
Senior User
I understand how it is overkill for the fact that I do not NEED a 5" exhaust. But can you honestly say that you WOULDN'T buy this exhaust for this great price for the fact that it is "overkill"? I understand everything that you guys are saying about being that I don't need it. But as long as the exhaust doesn't HURT me, then I should be okay with getting this exhaust? I appreciate all of your time for answering my questions.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:27 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Well, I wouldn't because I don't want exhaust that loud. I'll never get rid of my muffler, but the cat is getting gutted soon.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:58 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
But as long as the exhaust doesn't HURT me, then I should be okay with getting this exhaust? I appreciate all of your time for answering my questions.
well it actually may hurt the performance especially on the low end torque. you said you know a lot about vipers and stuff so i would assume it's the same idea for diesels as gassers. adding a 5" exhaust will move the peak HP and peak TQ higher in the powerband. if you do a lot of high speed and high boost driving and use the upper range of your RPM's then this exhaust will be a good thing. if your more of a normal daily driver, towing trailers, etc. it's best to have more power where you need it, and that's around 2000RPM.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:05 PM
gary41276
New User
I gutted my cat and know it squeals at idle. like a belt very annoying. truck does run better and cooler though.