Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How come we suck??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:49 PM
derck_mullin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How come we suck??

I'm sure this is gonna get me in trouble, but why is it we have a 7.3L V8 and the 5.9L 6 cyl Cummins are the guys with all the muscle? It took awhile for the 5.0 guys to catch on and I almost feel like it's the same again. Someone please tell me why the big V8 can't be better than the 6...there are plenty of Fords kicking butt everywhere else so I think we should be able to do the same in the diesel arena.

Derck

Old 08-27-2009, 08:58 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
A 7.3 can stomp all over a 5.9.. it just takes a little more $$$...

You have to realize that the 5.9 has been around for a long time. It has been alot of different applications. It's also a inline 6.. it can handle more power. Whereas a 7.3 in a V design. It's pushing against it's self. (That make sense)

I love the durability of my engine. Would I have a cummins? Yes.. but in a Ford Truck.

No one has ever disputed the 5.9 as being a great engine. But as far as Dodge trucks they are no where close to the Fords in quality.

I for one will not flame you...I hope you are seriously asking to learn.. not to start trouble..

Old 08-27-2009, 08:59 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The simple answer is they can build more power cheaper than we can. Great motor they have. It's just all the stuff bolted to and around the motor that leads to their problems.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:03 PM
derck_mullin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jkidd_39
A 7.3 can stomp all over a 5.9.. it just takes a little more $$$...

You have to realize that the 5.9 has been around for a long time. It has been alot of different applications. It's also a inline 6.. it can handle more power. Whereas a 7.3 in a V design. It's pushing against it's self. (That make sense)

I love the durability of my engine. Would I have a cummins? Yes.. but in a Ford Truck.

No one has ever disputed the 5.9 as being a great engine. But as far as Dodge trucks they are no where close to the Fords in quality.

I for one will not flame you...I hope you are seriously asking to learn.. not to start trouble..
Nope...not wanting to start trouble at all. But to me seems like we're going against the grain. Show me a 9 sec 6 cyl car...won't find any. So why is it that a V8 config makes less sense in a diesel? There are plenty of 2000+ HP cars out there and none of those are inline 6s. I'm just trying to figure out why the inline 6 works better for high HP diesels...or does it????

Old 08-27-2009, 09:10 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
the 5.9 is built like a tank. it was meant to be used in a lot of different applications. generators, tractors, trucks, ect. so it is built with heavy duty parts and thicker walls. the 5.9 undressed weighs 1100 lbs i think. its a heavy sun of a gun. you can put more boost and more compression in it. if you built a 7.3 with the same quality and thickness of its parts you would need 10 leafs to hold that sucker up in your truck.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:15 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by derck_mullin
Nope...not wanting to start trouble at all. But to me seems like we're going against the grain. Show me a 9 sec 6 cyl car...won't find any. So why is it that a V8 config makes less sense in a diesel? There are plenty of 2000+ HP cars out there and none of those are inline 6s. I'm just trying to figure out why the inline 6 works better for high HP diesels...or does it????
This explanation always made sense in my head. In a naturally asspired gas engine you do not see the large amount of compression and boost. Not to mention the potential energy in the diesel fuel vs gasoline. The Diesel engine must be over built to handle the power.

Now.. onto the V8 vs. I6. In gas engines the I6 has to battle gravity.. whereas the V8 does not fight gravity as much. The I6 has more internal strength than the V8.. And the 7.3 has some weak rods. The 5.9 is built like a tank..

Feel free to tear apart my statements..

Old 08-27-2009, 09:16 PM
derck_mullin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mountaineer27
the 5.9 is built like a tank. it was meant to be used in a lot of different applications. generators, tractors, trucks, ect. so it is built with heavy duty parts and thicker walls. the 5.9 undressed weighs 1100 lbs i think. its a heavy sun of a gun. you can put more boost and more compression in it. if you built a 7.3 with the same quality and thickness of its parts you would need 10 leafs to hold that sucker up in your truck.
Weren't are motors designed with other aps in mind?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:20 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
They were designed as a light duty truck engine for heavy towing.

A 5.9 was built for use in tractors, trucks, boat engines.. anything diesel under the sun that needs 190-150hp

Old 08-27-2009, 09:22 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru

i havent seen much with a 7.3 in it except trucks. but thats just me. well im just looking at the air force here but all of our age to support aircraft either is so old it has a detroit in it or it has a cummins. never seen a 7.3 in anything else. i could be wrong though. all our generators here in iraq are cummins, cat, aggecko too.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mountaineer27
Pretty much what he said. The Cummins rods alone dwarf those in the 7.3. I have held both in my hands at Beans I almost wanted to cry, especially knowing the 7.3 rod I was looking at was a factory forged unit and mine are powdered metal.

Also, our HUEI injection system, while great for stockish apps, leaves a bit to be desired when really pumping things up. The common rail is far superior in this area for making quick cheap power. When really pumping things up, the 5.9 shines because as mentioned it is built like a tank. Making a 7.3 to make that power is already expensive. Making it live there is even more expensive. Stupidly expensive.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:27 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Making a 7.3 to make that power is already expensive. Making it live there is even more expensive. Stupidly expensive.

got that right!

Old 08-27-2009, 09:29 PM
derck_mullin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jkidd_39
This explanation always made sense in my head. In a naturally asspired gas engine you do not see the large amount of compression and boost. Not to mention the potential energy in the diesel fuel vs gasoline. The Diesel engine must be over built to handle the power.

Now.. onto the V8 vs. I6. In gas engines the I6 has to battle gravity.. whereas the V8 does not fight gravity as much. The I6 has more internal strength than the V8.. And the 7.3 has some weak rods. The 5.9 is built like a tank..

Feel free to tear apart my statements..
Andrew,

This is only for fun and me being a pain for most folks (just ask the wife).

Look at any top fuel drag car...no inline 6s. The highest HP cars in the world are always V-8s. The only cars that do well with inline 6s are few and far between. The V-8 is the high HP config PERIOD!

Old 08-27-2009, 09:35 PM
derck_mullin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Pretty much what he said. The Cummins rods alone dwarf those in the 7.3. I have held both in my hands at Beans I almost wanted to cry, especially knowing the 7.3 rod I was looking at was a factory forged unit and mine are powdered metal.

Also, our HUEI injection system, while great for stockish apps, leaves a bit to be desired when really pumping things up. The common rail is far superior in this area for making quick cheap power. When really pumping things up, the 5.9 shines because as mentioned it is built like a tank. Making a 7.3 to make that power is already expensive. Making it live there is even more expensive. Stupidly expensive.
Guess I'm in the "how come" department. 5.0 mustangs are retarded cheap nowadays cuz lots of guys got together and made sure the aftermarket treated them fairly. The 5.0 became the new 350...maybe we can do the same with our motor. Also are there any NA parts that work??? Rods, cranks, bearings, etc?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:39 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
Andrew,

This is only for fun and me being a pain for most folks (just ask the wife).

Look at any top fuel drag car...no inline 6s. The highest HP cars in the world are always V-8s. The only cars that do well with inline 6s are few and far between. The V-8 is the high HP config PERIOD!

if you built a 932 pump gas inline 6 it would be fast too. dont knock the inline 6. back in the day there were a few inlines that would give a v8 a run for its money. anymore theres no intrest in a I-6 so they not really improving on the concept. if you put todays technoligy into an i-6 they would be just as tough as the v8. and yes i know they still make them.

look up the fireball 8 sometime. they were one hell of a motor

Old 08-27-2009, 09:44 PM
derck_mullin
Freshman User
Familiar with the Fireballs...they went the way of the dino for a reason. Again there is no other event where the V8 doesn't reign supreme for good reason. Lots of folks doing turbo V8s in every sporting event know to man...don't see many inline 6s...

Quick Reply: How come we suck??