1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

A little different question on DFA (additives)...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:38 AM
SunBum
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little different question on DFA (additives)...

I'm a new 7.3 PSD owner and really like the truck (Excursion) and hope to keep it running for 300,000+ miles, 10 more years or so (120,000 now on 2000 model). It seems to be in pretty good condition mechanically.

Let's assume that no one knows the true facts about the benefits of DFA (I've read the threads and usually they just come down to arguing about whether there's a benefit or not). Let's also assume that I don't mind the marginal cost of some of the less expensive additive strategies.

Is there any harm to running a variety of simple additives in the fuel. For instance; Diesel Kleen in one tank, 2-stroke in the next and then maybe Lucas after that and just rotate?

Again, if I can't verify the benefit (seat-of-the-pants is psycholgical if you ask me - perceived benefit), is there any harm to be done by doing this (other than the cost which I don't think will be too high). I just figure if it can't hurt anything, why not?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Diesel specific additives that are non-alcohol based are fine to put in your fuel. You won't get any harm out of those. Will they help? That's always an argument that can never be proved or disproved. Frankly, if you run something that you like, then stick with it.

Anything that's alcohol based (or similar) is not good for our injectors, and counter acts the lubricity. You'll want something that adds lubricity to the fuel, not take it away.

Lucas doesn't add lubricity, which is why I wouldn't use it personally. Diesel Kleen adds a little, so it's ok. Same with 2-stroke oil. If you want to rotate between Diesel Kleen and 2-stroke oil, I don't see the harm in it.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:17 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if it helps or not, but, I use .5 oz Diesel Kleen per gallon in every tank. It makes me feel better.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:17 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
Diesel specific additives that are non-alcohol based are fine to put in your fuel. You won't get any harm out of those. Will they help? That's always an argument that can never be proved or disproved. Frankly, if you run something that you like, then stick with it.

Anything that's alcohol based (or similar) is not good for our injectors, and counter acts the lubricity. You'll want something that adds lubricity to the fuel, not take it away.

Lucas doesn't add lubricity, which is why I wouldn't use it personally. Diesel Kleen adds a little, so it's ok. Same with 2-stroke oil. If you want to rotate between Diesel Kleen and 2-stroke oil, I don't see the harm in it.
FWIW, I ran DK in every tank for a few months and just switched to 2 stroke oil. I get a bit more injector noise at low RPM with the 2 stroke it seems like, but I just switched so maybe I'm just listening in too much.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been running DK just about since I got the truck, and I like it. It also adds to the cetane which the 2-cycle won't. 2-cycle is a little better for lubricity depending how much you add. I run ~10oz. per fill-up (1/3 oz. per gallon). I also recently switched to running Shell diesel. It's a tad more pricey, but it seems like better fuel. Worth it in my book.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:05 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
To answer your question, I'll share my experience and you can draw your own conclusion. I ordered my truck and received it new in 2002. I have religiously used either Stanadyne, Howes, Diesel Kleen, or some mixture of Biodiesel since new. I've got almost 302,000 miles on my stock injectors. They pass an injector buzz test, don't show any issues in a cylinder contribution test, rotational velocity values, and my fuel mileage has not dropped off other than the slight drop I noticed when ULSD was introduced.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:16 PM
SunBum
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts guys...

Tonight I went out and got some 2-stroke, and some diesel kleen. I'll give it a shot and see what the mpg difference is and what the cost looks like. From your inputs, I figure it can't hurt. I'll alternate between the two.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:29 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought you were talking about Dino fuel Alt. for running VO. http://www.dinofuelalternatives.com/

well I know I get my Lubricity. lol

Old 08-20-2009, 02:50 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I have used DK since I bought it 2 years ago. I use at least (if not a little bit more) than the recommended 1oz for every 3 gal. Original everything on the engine and still going strong at 183K.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:55 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by brian42
I have used DK since I bought it 2 years ago. I use at least (if not a little bit more) than the recommended 1oz for every 3 gal. Original everything on the engine and still going strong at 183K.
I use 1oz per 4 gallons...