Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:33 PM
curtis warnick
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great idea. how soon can we start? I have a 1979 f700 ford dump truck which needs a lot of TLC. curt

Old 05-26-2011, 03:53 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Curtis, you can start right away!

Welcome to the site.
Follow this link here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/n...ewthread&f=232

It will enable you to post a question!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Buck the Truck
Freshman User
I don't know jack about big trucks and am learning in a trial-by-fire method. One of the things I've learned so far is that these trucks are definitely in a class by themselves because only certain shops can take them or will even do work on them. Insurance is even different on them. I know I'm in a whole nuther world when USAA tells me they can't insure a vehicle for me.

I'm new, I'm a chick and I just bought an F600. Awesome. I don't know jack and I'm gonna use this forum to learn whatever I can, so, I appreciate that it's got its own corner on the block.

It's gonna get interesting...

Old 02-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Ste-Van
New User
Just checking in and adding our names to the list (?) of big truck folks. It seems this category is established by now and halleluja. Trying to figure out the protocol and how to research without asking redundant questions- big job, lots of posts...

Thanks for your time everyone and Senor modereator. Any suggestions on what to read to get up to speed are welcome-

Stephen and Tracy

Old 03-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Centralbuilder
New User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jmadsen
I thinks it's a great Idea, although I wonder how many posts we will get in here from the newer models, I dont know say 70's or 80's on up?? I would think maybe it should be split into 2 groups maybe 1960 and older and 61 and newer?? just a thought but maybe see what happens in a few weeks.

Also I forget is a 52 F-6 a two ton or 1 1/2 ton??
Why not include the 1 1/2 tons also like anything bigger than a F-350, F-4's etc just thoughts. I'm sure you will be getting lots of feedback and ideas on this as well, so who knows.

Thanks

Josh

Josh, I believe that the F-6 was a "Two Ton", and the F-5's were a "Ton and half".. I had a '49 Stude Two Ton, and I was always being made fun of by my Ford Ownin' buddies with their V-8's who tore up my lil' 6 banger on the hills... ha, ha.. Bob

Old 01-12-2013, 12:23 AM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey everybody ! I have a 56 f6 that someone put some big axils on it . It has a tag axil on it with air brakes , the front wheels sticks out past the f6 fenders.. I think it has a f8 front axil I have 6 studs on it too?

Old 01-12-2013, 08:17 AM
TinyDog
New User
TinyDog

Thanks for a great idea, I love these old trucks!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Jay.G
New User
I just stumbled on to this page, but I'll post-up! I have a 1948 COE Ford. I do not know what designation of F?. I'll take a couple of pictures and also check wheel bolt count as that seems to part of the determining factor. I'm more of a "street rodder" than restoration guy and plan on building it with late model Ford box truck chassis, Cummins and Spicer driveline.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:15 PM
billy2
New User
on cold christmas day, i traded for a 76 f800 with 361 motor, 'contractor lift bed, 5+2 transmission. drove it from topeka ks to arkansas. had some adventures, but like the rig potential for my farm.

one issue is one cylinder has zero compression; others 80 to 100. also had leaking 4-bbl holley, but got it ok now. think may have had something dropped on manifold and broke a valve or so in the 3d cylinder from front on left side. the spark plug had damage. when have a chance, plan to pull head and look at it. also, the front 50 gal gas tank doesn't work.

one of the bed lift cylinders has massive blowout and leak. the cylinders are welded in at bottom. a local shop is going to work on it. think the cap unscrews; has two holes in cap and a slit in the side which may have some keeper.

one question, can i assume the dash fuel tank switch is bad and the default works the rear 50-gal tank (both on right side)?

i have only a little experience on most of these things, but do work on stuff here out of necessity.

love the access the L body hood gives to the motor.

thank you,

Old 01-25-2013, 02:02 AM
ztartops
New User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
f600 fuel truck

I've been posting on other forums also but since my "fleet" is varied I'll post here too. I have a 1956 F600 fuel delivery truck, pictures in my album. This truck was doing delivery for a Shell Jobber in Eastern WA. most of its life and is painted Shell yellow. However it started life red so it could have been Texaco or Philips 66 or Conoco before that. The last 15 years it hauled avgas at a small air strip. I aquired it in exchange for parts a couple of years ago, got it running this last summer. My plans are to add a hoist and make it into a general purpose hauler with a more modern drive train. I have visions of retrieving detroit iron with it in my retirement days. I like the wrap around storage under the bed that was part of the fuel tanker stuff. I am not sure about engine history. It is either a 272 or 292 with a 4 speed T18 and a 2 speed.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Chris Cantrell
New User
Hello from Missouri. Looks like a good bunch here.

Working on a 1970 F600 Dump Truck. Has the 330MD Engine 4speed and 2speed axle. Ran good but parked it when the brakes went down. That was 5 years ago. Decided to get it driveable again about a week ago. Having carb problems from sitting so long. Drained the fuel tank, replaced the fuel filter and ran fuel treatment through the carb. Also ran Marvel Mystery Oil through carb at fast idle.

My question, for now anyway, would someone tell me how to adjust the two screws on the back of the Holly/Motorcraft carb?

Old 03-17-2013, 12:45 AM
ztartops
New User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The simplest method is to adjust each back and forth to achieve the smoothest idle. Too lean and it stumbles on acceleration, too rich and it fouls out. It is also helpful to connect a vacuum gauge and dial it in to get the highest value at warm engine temp. Same is true for timing-except you may get to a point of detonation-pinging if too far advanced.
Ztartops

Old 05-13-2013, 11:08 AM
stumpy0227
New User
Howdy, fellers!!! I don't actually OWN a "Big Truck", other than my 1990 F350 with the non-turbo 7.3 liter, that could also use more power, lol, but that's another forum. What I need help with, though, IS big truck based. My twin brother has a big ole Ford truck, with a crane on it, that he's re-trucking the bed onto a (GASP!!) GMC he owns, and he's giving me the 477 c.i.d. engine from it. Here's my issue- I only have one leg, so I need an automatic tranny, with overdrive, if possible, and I know NOTHING about this particular Ford engine, even though I've been a Ford freak since the day I was born! I need to know if this engine shares the same bell housing patterns, with any of the other bigblock engines, like the 429/460's? Thanks, in advance, for any help, as I'm barely computer-literate! Btw, I'm gonna shove this monster into my 1968 Ford torino, Fairlane version!!! I'll get my wife to fill my garage with pics, and descriptions, of my bevy of my Ford babies, lol. (she claims I have a sickness!!)

Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Greetings:

The 477 is NOT an engine that you want in ANYTHING. Truck, car, boat, stump grinder....

They are heavy, big, and not very powerful. They drink gas like it's 15 cents a gallon. There are no performance parts, other than old turbo set ups from boats--which, as they draw through the carb, represent a large bomb under your hood. (picture a smaller version of a dragster's blower explosion)

It does not share the bell with the 385 series or any other car or light truck motor.

The automatics used were Allisons or Ford's "Transmatic" version of the Allison. It will not fit under your Torino.

IMO your Torino would be better served with a warmed up 351W and a C6. You can go FE, but the 351W is cheaper to build and lighter than the FE motor.

Please, do not get involved with the 477. They belong in the original trucks, if running properly, or the scrap yard.

Is it just me? No:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...g-a-534-a.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...emensions.html

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-14-2013, 07:45 AM
stumpy0227
New User
Thanks for the info!! Read your answer TWICE, and decided to rebuild a 302 I have in my shop, and stick and AOD behind it, lol. This kind of quality response is exactly why I joined FTE, and can reliably count on, from it's members!!! Thanks again, and God Bless, ~Donny

Quick Reply: Welcome!