Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Back-Up camera installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Back-Up camera installed

A couple of months ago, one of the Excursion forum members passed on to us fellow Excursion members a great deal his local Sam's Club was having on back-up camera systems.

I ended up getting one for $25 bucks, plus $15 for flat-rate shipping via USPS.

A few weeks back, I finally got around to installing the system in my truck. I installed and mounted the viewscreen for my back-up camera on the trans tunnel floorboard, but didn't have enough time to finish the install before the Riffraff Tech Day. So, a couple weeks ago, while up in Oregon for tech day, Pete helped me finish wiring up and installing the rest of the system.

I figured I'd share the install with the rest of you guys.

Here is the monitor installed on the trans tunnel floorboard. The power wire for the monitor had an adapter on the end for plugging into a power source receptacle. I didn't like that so I cut the adapter off and hard wired it into the power source wires behind the dash.

In the above picture, next to the brake controller, you can see a plastic knockout where Ford places the power pedal switch.

I decided I didn't want to wire the camera to the reverse lights, only powering it whenever I put the gearshift lever in reverse, so I installed a rocker switch there, powering the camera whenever I wanted, not just when it's in reverse.

Here's a picture with the dash popped off to access the wires to the pedal switch harness:

After getting power to the rocker switch, I ran the antenna wire down the frame of the truck and drilled a small hole under the drivers side door sill, placing a grommet in the hole, then placing the antenna in the void and hooking the wires into the antenna module.

Here is everything all finished.

Stewart

Old 08-01-2009, 10:59 PM
agg_bagg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good man i would like to have something like this.... i use alot of trailers at work and i don't know how many times i get out get in get out of my truck trying to get it right.....

Old 08-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
$25??? Stewart you are under arrest for robbery or theft. Is that a typo? Nice setup. Where did you mount the camera? I know, out back, but I'd like to see a pic of that. Great setup buddy. Nice work.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:54 PM
87 F-150 I6
Posting Guru
wow, what a steal of a deal. Good write up and great job on the install! A backup camara is a great idea and one I would also like to have.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Mike, I didn't post the picture because it was taken at night and I didn't like how it turned out. I've been meaning to take a picture during the day, but here it is.

I drilled a small hole in the plate, placed a grommet in the hole to protect the wire, and ran the wire through the plate so it didn't show anywhere.

VA Sheriff, a member in the Excursion forum, discovered his local Sam's Club was having a blow out sale on these systems and he posted in the forum, asking if any of us wanted any.

A ton of us replied, and when I finally saw the thread, the price at his Sam's Club had dropped from the $41 they were on sale for, down to $25 bucks. VA Sheriff didn't make a dime doing this for the member in the Ex forum, he just passed the savings on to us.

Stewart