1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Tow Command controller with aftermarket controller.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:58 PM
DW3555
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Tow Command controller with aftermarket controller.

Has anyone on here replaced a bad Tow Command brake controller with an aftermarket controller? I am thinking about doing just that, because of cost. My question is ... if I do go with aftermarket (and you can just plug it right in with the correct jumper) ... does everything work as it did with the Tow Command controller .. such as the "Tow" button on the end of the gear shift ****?

Ford wants $228.00 for a new controller .. and you can get an excellent controller in the Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller for $140.00. Probably a better contoller actually, for a lot less money.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:03 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you will have to turn off the ITBC prameter in the PCM.

chances are you'll have to take it to the dealership to do that (unless you know somebody with the tool) It'll probably be $89 (1-hr min) to do, so that evens out your cost.

If you don't have this turned off you will get to see a lovely TBC fault every time you start your truck.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:06 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
also! you're in luck!

I have a coinholder plate that replaces the TowCommand controlelr that i can send you if you do choose to downgrade.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:16 PM
DW3555
New User
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
also! you're in luck!

I have a coinholder plate that replaces the TowCommand controlelr that i can send you if you do choose to downgrade.

LOL ... thanks. I will still have my aux. switches there, so I was just thinking about sticking the old controller back in the hole.

I have been looking at that lovely TBC fault for the past six months .. and am about sick of it.

Others have suggested trying to find one in a salvage yard .. but for an '05 ... I don't know how much luck I would have .. and they will probably still want $100 for it.

Thanks for the info ....

Old 08-01-2009, 06:19 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
There are two halfs to the coinholder FWIW...

the upfitter switches replace the right half, and the TBC replaces the left.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:19 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Why do you think the P3 will be better?

Old 08-01-2009, 06:24 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
what makes you think the TBC is actually faulty, the "TBC FAULT" on the display will show up for a bunch of things...

including moisture in the 7 pin connection on the rear.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:25 PM
DW3555
New User
It may not necessarly be "better" .. but I bet it would be equally as good as the one Ford uses ... and a lot cheaper to replace. Even when you read in the owners manual, and where it says that if you have problems with the Tow Command controller .. it is NOT covered by your warranty. (And yes, the manual even has it it BOLD CAPITAL letters like that).

You call them with the part number on the controller (or try and look it up online) .. and they say it is not a good number.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:43 PM
DW3555
New User
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
what makes you think the TBC is actually faulty, the "TBC FAULT" on the display will show up for a bunch of things...

including moisture in the 7 pin connection on the rear.
I had the mechanics where I work check it out for me. There is power in to the controller, but no power out for the brakes. He also did a check on the wiring from the controller to the 7 pin connector, and that was all good. Everything works on the trailer but the brakes.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:50 PM
luverofpeanuts
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by DW3555
It may not necessarly be "better" .. but I bet it would be equally as good as the one Ford uses ...
I guess I was thinking that no aftermarket controller is integrated like the Tow Command controller is. I think other controllers can do a fine job, but none of them are integrated into the braking system like the Tow Command one (at least that's the way I thought it worked).

If you do go with an aftermarket one, it sure would be interesting to hear the compare/contrast experience you'd have.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:53 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hope you know there is relays and fuses on the driverside fenderwell that feed back to the plug ,these are after the controller .
The ford brake controller is top notch ,have not had any problems with the 3 I've had.Rich

Old 08-01-2009, 06:58 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Have you checked all of your fuses?

The ITBC can use info from the vehicle to ajust trailer braking...
and ATBC can't...simple as that.

The ITBC knows info about what the ABS is doing, and can surge the TBS accordingly to not allow the trailer to outbrake the truck.

the ITBC, when used with the TorqShift, knows about the truck's engine braking.

No matter what an ATBC claims, it cannot tell the difference between a hill and a stop. the physical laws of the universe will ALWAYS disprove their claims. The TowCommand ITBC uses brake system pressure to apply current to the magnets in the brakes.

The only downside... is that the TowCommand is not "approved" for Hyd/Elec brakes. In my experience, it works. However, just like Ford and Tekonsha, I cannot test all of the Hyd/Elec systems against it.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FortyFords
I hope you know there is relays and fuses on the driverside fenderwell that feed back to the plug ,these are after the controller .
The ford brake controller is top notch ,have not had any problems with the 3 I've had.Rich
I was getting nervous... This is the first issue I have heard of...

Say it Aint so...

Old 08-01-2009, 10:34 PM
TxFireman1972
Tuned
I have a spare Tow Command if you need it. Still has the clear protective sticker on the display. pm me and let me know if you are interested.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:24 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
There are guys who spend $600 getting the Ford IBC installed, and think it's worth it. My advice is to repair your Ford with Ford parts. And I'm not even completely convinced you actually have a bad controller. I've seen them misdiagnosed a few times by those who don't understand how it is supposed to work. Especially on the early '05's, the first year it was available.

Quick Reply: Replacing Tow Command controller with aftermarket controller.