2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My plan for my truck, let me know what you think!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Hummah Zach
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My plan for my truck, let me know what you think!

So I have an 04 Super Crew 4x4 5.4L and I want to start customizing it and though I would share my plan so far...

I'm just a poor teenager so I wont be able to do the big-buck mods I want like a supercharger or lift LOL but I plan to piece it together as I get money...

I want to go with an aggrassive look with all blacked out trim and aggressive tires...

here is what I am thinking (in no particular order)

I want to start with a cold air intake (used K&N or new Spectre) and would like to eventually get a custom exaust (duals, flowmaster etc)

Also, I want to get the Harley-Davidson ed style blacked out headlights and smoked LED taillights from RECON

Also, to continue the blackout theme, a black bar billet grille

Also, I want to level it, I found a good shop that will level it, extend the shock mounts and align the wheels for about $200. I also want to tint my front 2 windows to match the back and the same place does tinting for $50/window and guarantees them for life (if it ever bubbles or peels they redo it for free)

and at some point I want to upgrade the wheels with some KMC XD series (either Rockstars or Monsters)

SO here are my questions!

1.) I know a lot of people get intake/exhaust... what differences do you notice in sound/style, gas milage, and power???

2.)Do I have to buy the blacked out headlights as a whole or is there some kind of layover or mod that I can do to my headlights to black em out???

3.)I need pictures and places to find a good inexpensive black billet bar grille (I have the honeycomb factory grille)

4.) OPINIONS???

thanks in advance

Old 07-30-2009, 12:50 AM
gman30
Freshman User
Just my opinion but if you really want the aggressive look, save up and put on a lift then get the grill and the lights after.
Just my opinion its ur truck

Old 07-30-2009, 01:11 AM
Hummah Zach
Senior User
How much would a 4-6 inch lift kit cost installed? (ballpark range)

Old 07-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Hummah Zach
Senior User
actually forget installation price, I can install it myself

Old 07-30-2009, 01:30 AM
gman30
Freshman User
Well for a 2inch lift you could probably get one for around 300 bucks. But for a 4-6inch lift kit its going to run you about 2 grand with that you could clear 35 inch tires, now that would be an aggressive look but its not cheap, hope i helped ya

Old 07-30-2009, 01:31 AM
gman30
Freshman User
Old 07-30-2009, 01:58 AM
Hummah Zach
Senior User
I may go for a 2 inch lift instead of leveling, but I'm not going to be able to afford a nice 6 inch lift.... it would cost about 1500 for the lift then I'd end up having to spend another 1500 on wheels/tires by the time its all ready it would be 3-4 grand and I just dont have that kind of money!

BUT a 2 inch lift for 2-300 bucks and decent wheels/tires for $1000.... I could do that

Old 07-30-2009, 04:05 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
you guys are way way off on your prices

2.5" leveling kit is only $79-89 shipped
that will let you clear 35" tires...some slight rubbing depending on the rim and tire selection
6" Rough Country/Pro Comp Lift Kits are going for about $1,200-1,400 shipped on eBay
so about $2,500 for a lift kit + tires.

I personally like the OEM rims...and you can always buy new rims later on.
Originally Posted by Hummah Zach
SO here are my questions!

1.) I know a lot of people get intake/exhaust... what differences do you notice in sound/style, gas milage, and power???

2.)Do I have to buy the blacked out headlights as a whole or is there some kind of layover or mod that I can do to my headlights to black em out???

3.)I need pictures and places to find a good inexpensive black billet bar grille (I have the honeycomb factory grille)
1) lots of noise with intake and exhaust...and that is about it. You need to buy a tuner to get any gains from these
if anything, your MPG's will go down with these installed. I always had my foot buried so I could hear some rumble.

I'm dealing with that issue now in my Stang. I'm always in too low a gear for the acceleration and the noise. I could easily pick up 2-3 more MPG's if I just drove it easier
2) DIY Black Headlights

3) Buy or trade somebody for the XL/FX4 grille. It is a black "H" bar style.
alternatively, Roush is selling their chrome grilles on eBay for about $100 shipped.

sand one of those lightly and paint it black. Looks pretty good. Lots of guys have done that mod and the outcome is very nice

BTW, you asked about opinions. It's your truck...but please don't use those fugly *** Recon brakelights. They have the taint of Rice upon them...and they won't match the overall look your truck seems to be heading

Old 07-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Ya I was going to say a 2" lift isnt anything more then a leveling kit. I got a 3" leveling kit from fat bobs garage for 80 bucks the I got an add a leaf for another 80 bucks to make it sit level. The mods get addicting. Im just a poor guy getting ready to turn 21 and I dumped way to much money in my truck in mods probably anywhere from 3-4K. If I would have just kept that I could have more of my truck paid off.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:16 AM
rplatt56
Senior User
i dont know about others areas, but here the mid range lifts are pricey. You can get the 3" or 6" for alot less than say a 4" or 5". Also for your black out lights, look on ebay, they have some real good deals on them. Its like $80.00 for a set of headlights and about $95 for the tails. I agree with Tylus, Recons look like RICE. Also, have you thought about just painting your honeycomb grill?? Ebay can be your best friend for some mods.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Hummah Zach
Senior User
Originally Posted by tylus
you guys are way way off on your prices

2.5" leveling kit is only $79-89 shipped
that will let you clear 35" tires...some slight rubbing depending on the rim and tire selection
6" Rough Country/Pro Comp Lift Kits are going for about $1,200-1,400 shipped on eBay
so about $2,500 for a lift kit + tires.

I personally like the OEM rims...and you can always buy new rims later on.

1) lots of noise with intake and exhaust...and that is about it. You need to buy a tuner to get any gains from these
if anything, your MPG's will go down with these installed. I always had my foot buried so I could hear some rumble.

I'm dealing with that issue now in my Stang. I'm always in too low a gear for the acceleration and the noise. I could easily pick up 2-3 more MPG's if I just drove it easier
2) DIY Black Headlights

3) Buy or trade somebody for the XL/FX4 grille. It is a black "H" bar style.
alternatively, Roush is selling their chrome grilles on eBay for about $100 shipped.

sand one of those lightly and paint it black. Looks pretty good. Lots of guys have done that mod and the outcome is very nice

BTW, you asked about opinions. It's your truck...but please don't use those fugly *** Recon brakelights. They have the taint of Rice upon them...and they won't match the overall look your truck seems to be heading

Thanks for the link to the headlight mod! I'll definitely be doing that! and as for lifts, like Still Smoking said, I want to avoid throwing all my money into my truck so I think Im going to go with a leveling kit and put some mud tires on it.

Does anyone have pictures of the factory (5 spoke) rims painted/powdercoated black??

As for the taillights, I think they look fine. I've only found the chrome ones to look rice-ey