6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

My buddy needs some help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:58 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Question My buddy needs some help...

I live over in the 7.3 forum because that's waht I have myself. However, one of my buddies has a '04 6.0 F250 Lariat Crew, 4x4, 46K miles on the truck, and has been having tons of trouble with it. I'm hoping some of you guys may be able to help me guide him a little. Since the truck is still under warranty, the dealer has been taking care of these issues by those means.

Prior to my friend purchasing the truck, the PO had the Fuel Injection Control Module replaced.

To-date, here's a list of the additional work the dealer has done since the first of the year:

EGR cooler replacement<O</O
EGR valve replacement<O</O
Two new injectors<O</O
Tore-down turbo and cleaned it.<O</O
Replaced throttle plate<O</O
PCM replacement (whole new brain chip)

Current symptoms (quoted directly from an email I received from my friend this morning):

"If I had any hair I’d pull it out! It seems to happen around 95 °F outside and 45 °F in winter pulling hills or trailers.

<O</O"95 °F day case: Leaving a stop sign or red light, light accel ~1,200 RPM. The sharp clucking sound typical of a diesel engine slowly becomes muted, over a period of 3 seconds or so. The muted sound is like my older 7.3, when you had it in neutral and rev’d it up under no load. The, “sometimes” white smoke comes from the exhaust pipe. This smoke does not always appear. It chokes down in power, RPMs seem to stop accel, but don’t drop-off either. Then the strangest sound comes from what sounds like under the hood right in front of the drives side, it’s a barking dog sound. The barks are short and at a steady frequency. Four or five barks and then maybe I push the peddle or something in my haste, because it goes away and then the power catches, the clucking returns, and “BLAST-OFF”, everything is accel’n normally.

<O</O"~45 °F day case: Pulling a hill accel’d to 70MPH. Barking begins at short constant frequency and seems to stay much longer than in 95 deg F day case. Pulling trailers on flat ground and up hill causes this phenomena as well in cold weather.

<O</O"The barking sound is like a sucking, maybe the turbine is acting up. But during each “bark” there is a lose of power so great it fells like the brake is being applied.

<O</O"Here is what I have noticed this morning after the usual cutting out, smoking and barking on the way home yesterday. I tried to see what the thing would do if I just sat in the parking lot, put it in neutral and ran it up to 2K RPM and held my foot steady. What do you think it would do? I think it would have gone to 2K RPM and held there as long as my foot held there. No, it goes to 2K RPM, maybe a second later it goes to 2.5K RPM, waves about (10-15 RPM) and returns to 2K RPM. Is there an actuator that is controlled by any electronic sensor from the peddle?"
<O</O<O</O
<O</O
<OAny insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated.</O

Old 07-28-2009, 11:01 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
It sure sounds like it is turbo related. It appears that it was addressed at the beginnig of this year though...very weird. That stuff happened to me when my egr valve (before I disabled it) was sticking, but that was also replaced according to your email.

Who did the turbo tear down and rebuild?

Old 07-28-2009, 11:04 AM
F250_
Hotshot
That was one of the more recent efforts... IIRC, something like in the past 2 months, and it seems that about half that time the vehicle has been at the dealer.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:12 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
Prior to my getting involved with the repairs of my truck (warranty is up), my vehicle went to the dealer 1/2 dozen times for CEL or intermittent power loss.

The symptoms you describe are similiar (not exact) to my situation when my EGR valve was sticking. I highly doubt it is the case with your friend's vehicle. There are some sharp techs on this 6.0 forum...you'll get some good leads.

Good Luck

Old 07-28-2009, 11:48 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Thanks, Joe. That's what I'm counting on.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:24 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Pete -

I'm by no means one of the sharp 6.0 techs that JB is referring to, but I'll ad my $.02....

Turbo related sure sounds possible...maybe something to do with the VGT solenoid, or even improper assembly.

Originally Posted by F250_
Is there an actuator that is controlled by any electronic sensor from the peddle?"
From the posts I have seen on bad pedal assemblies , they usually just quit working at all. Of course that's not to say that couldn't be it.

If your buddy has the means to pull codes from the OBDII that would be a big help.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:40 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
Hi Pete -

...If your buddy has the means to pull codes from the OBDII that would be a big help.

Hi Steve. Thanks for chiming in.

My buddy can't pull codes, but I've offered to do that for him with my AE, but he lives a good bit on the other side of town and is still letting the dealer dig into things.

He was getting the P0487 (EGR) code even after they replaced/repaired the EGR components, but that was resolved when they replaced the PCM. I'm not sure what codes he's getting right now. I am meeting up with him for lunch tomorrow, but the truck will still be at the dealer (we work in two separate office locations).

I'm getting the distinct impression that they're just throwing parts at it, and that may be partially due to the reimbursements they get from Ford for warranty repairs.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:40 AM
wilsonrd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys. Its my truck that Pete is helping with. We found some writing yesterday on this website where a guy explained the same sym.s as my truck is having, and said it was the EBP sensor that fixed his truck. I printed that text out and gave it to the service people at Ford this morning. We'll see if this is the problem.

The main thing that happens is the clucking and clattering gets muted to the point that it almost sounds like a gas engine right before flaking out on me. Then some times, this "barking" sound comes from in front of the drivers seat under the hood.

Yes, I too have thought they are throwing parts at my truck in hopes to fix it. I am all for it. So far, I have gotten plenty of new parts in an honest way.

Rodger Dale

Old 07-30-2009, 09:09 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Bump... I'm sort of surprised no one else has chimed in on this.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,391 Likes on 2,088 Posts
The barking or sneezing is boost pressure escaping out the air intake. The turbo will exhaust boost pressure since you have no waste gate on the VGT. An EGR will cause bucking or sneezing also when throttle is applied with excessive black smoke or unburnt fuel seen out the exhaust.

Exhaust Back pressure Sensor EBP was eliminated in the newer flash. I would review the turbo, EGR valve and BARO sensor.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:12 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Exhaust Back pressure Sensor EBP was eliminated in the newer flash. I would review the turbo, EGR valve and BARO sensor.
The EBP was eliminated on the 04.25 model years. The later 2004's need the EBP sensor IIRC.

FYI - turbo issues can throw EGR codes. Maxium gave you some good advice!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:14 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Thanks, Maxium.

I guess that really leaves the BARO sensor as a potential culprit for now, since the EGR valve has already been replaced and the turbo torn down, cleaned, and put back together (still assuming that the "put back together" part went the way it should have).

I haven't heard from rwilson yet to see if the dealer had any word for him since getting the truck yesterday morning.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:28 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
EGR/Turbo related. Sounds like it needs a good romping to me. I didn't think dealers were supposed to clean EGR's and turbo's anymore. They're supposed to be replaced IIRC.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,391 Likes on 2,088 Posts
2004 F-Series/Excursion Barometric Pressure Sensor Application:
Be advised that the barometric pressure (BARO) sensor was changed for the 2004 model year. Trucks built before 9-29-03 use the same BARO sensor as previous models--F8UZ-12A644-AA. Trucks built on or after 9-29-04 (2004.25) use part number 4C2Z-12A644-AA. Using the incorrect part for applicate will cause driveability symptoms. Broadcast Message 3162.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:19 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
EGR/Turbo related. Sounds like it needs a good romping to me. I didn't think dealers were supposed to clean EGR's and turbo's anymore. They're supposed to be replaced IIRC.
Well, the EGR was actually replaced, and not cleaned, so that should be an OK situation for my buddy. The turbo, though, maybe a valid point. Do you know of a TSB directing the dealers towards replacement instead of cleaning?

Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
2004 F-Series/Excursion Barometric Pressure Sensor Application:
Be advised that the barometric pressure (BARO) sensor was changed for the 2004 model year. Trucks built before 9-29-03 use the same BARO sensor as previous models--F8UZ-12A644-AA. Trucks built on or after 9-29-04 (2004.25) use part number 4C2Z-12A644-AA. Using the incorrect part for applicate will cause driveability symptoms. Broadcast Message 3162.
That's good info. I know his In Service Date was 9/11, but do not know the engine build date. I'll make sure he checks in with the thread again to get updated with your input.

Quick Reply: My buddy needs some help...