esof elimination build - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

esof elimination build

Old 07-27-2009, 11:44 PM
rockcrawler_101
Senior User
rockcrawler_101 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rockcrawler_101 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
esof elimination build

Sorry to double post this i have it in the 7.3l section but figure you guys could use this also. This is on my 01 with a 6speed.

OK so my ESOF doesnt work and i do not feel like spending lots of money to fix a POS sytem. I decided to build my own kit to make it shift into low and 4 high. here is what i got so far. I pulled the final shift gear out and welded a metal braket onto the back side of it. I will put a couple spot welds on to hold onto the t case. I then cut up some of the old motor mount, so i can put the sensor back on. Hopefully this will allot the hubs to lock and lights to work inside. Im going to weld a bolt onto the top of the shift arm to mount a hyme joint. The hardest part will be getting a shift boot to seal up.

<!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->

I got my trans back so i got some work to do this weekend. I got a funny look from the guys when i dropped the trans off with my daily driver. magnum

<!-- / message -->
some more pics.

you can see the areas i ground on the plate

all put together with the hyme joint on

Ordered my shifter boot but wont get it for a couple days so i got bored and decided to cut down one of my spare t case for my duel case on my jeep. The old one leaks because i cut in to deep.

<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->

Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Very interesting. In a good way

However, most people have more trouble with the auto-locking hubs than they do with the shift servo.

Before you did all this work, did the 4x4 light come on in the dash cluster?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 PM
rockcrawler_101
Senior User
rockcrawler_101 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rockcrawler_101 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
nothing worked i checked everything. the controler was bad. I dont like electronic shift and ford has the worst i have ever seen in a 4x4! More people have problems with it then any other truck i have ever seen. worst case is i have to get out and lock the hubs and would much rather have to do that and know i have 4x4 then just hope and pray it works.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:02 PM
rockcrawler_101
Senior User
i just went out and tested it and when i put it into 4 high and jacked up the front axle with the truck running the hubs locked and the 4x4 light went on. So now all i have to do is finish up the linkage.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:17 PM
sphinx
Senior User
sphinx is starting off with a positive reputation.
How are you going to keep the modified cover on the transfer case from getting packed full of dirt?
I'm on your side on this and may do this mod myself. I hate relying on electronics when you don't need to. Just something else to fail when you really don't want it too.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:26 PM
rockcrawler_101
Senior User
it doesnt matter if it gets packed full of dirt because there is nothing in there. all it does it hold the shifter in place and hold the sensor on. Not much dirt gets up there anyways unless your going into some deep deep mud. My jeep doesnt get much dirt up there and i have had that thing up to its frame in mud.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:31 PM
sphinx
Senior User
Deep, Deep mud and water is what we have around here, (Iowa)

Old 07-28-2009, 09:19 PM
rockcrawler_101
Senior User
lol yeah im more of a rock crawler although i do deal with top truck style mud from time to time in my jeep, but this is my tow rig most likely never going to hit the frame. Even so it will still be ok unless you get that concreat type of mud it will just be pushed out of the way that arm is the only thing that moves and its only about 1/4 of a turn.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 PM
rockcrawler_101
Senior User
Well i finished it up after going to a different dealership that had a clue and got my shift boot. It works great. The hubs lock like they would if it still had the electronic shift. Best mod i have done so far! I took a old shifter arm and a different shifter bar and welded them together and heated up the bar and bent it to the shape i wanted. It is compleatly out of my way and works great. Doesnt effect the shifting at all from the manual trans. If your not to good and heating and bending or dont want to deal with it you can spend 150 bucks and get the shift mount that bolts to the trans and the shifter bar. I spent 75 bucks total for this setup.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:56 PM
sphinx
Senior User
Originally Posted by rockcrawler_101 View Post
Well i finished it up after going to a different dealership that had a clue and got my shift boot. It works great. The hubs lock like they would if it still had the electronic shift. Best mod i have done so far! I took a old shifter arm and a different shifter bar and welded them together and heated up the bar and bent it to the shape i wanted. It is compleatly out of my way and works great. Doesnt effect the shifting at all from the manual trans. If your not to good and heating and bending or dont want to deal with it you can spend 150 bucks and get the shift mount that bolts to the trans and the shifter bar. I spent 75 bucks total for this setup.

So you can buy the parts nessecary for the conversion from ford?
Any chance on part numbers?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:02 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
06silvercrew has a very good reputation on FTE.06silvercrew has a very good reputation on FTE.06silvercrew has a very good reputation on FTE.
Just finished mine too. Your bellcrank mechanism is ENTIRELY different then mine. Maybe its the fact mine is an auto or newer or both, who knows. Other then that your setup is just about identical to mine. I gotta "tweek" my shift lever as it pops out of low range cuz its hitting the body, but no big deal.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
Mustang6147 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
HOT ROD TRUCK GARAGE...

Thanks for the post and illistrations/pic

good info

Old 08-06-2009, 09:29 PM
rockcrawler_101
Senior User
Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
So you can buy the parts nessecary for the conversion from ford?
Any chance on part numbers?
Yes and no. You can buy all the shifter stuff but you will have to weld a bolt onto it or use the stock rod (where i used hyme joints) and mount that to a custom built linkage on the t case.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:32 PM
sphinx
Senior User
Originally Posted by rockcrawler_101 View Post
Yes and no. You can buy all the shifter stuff but you will have to weld a bolt onto it or use the stock rod (where i used hyme joints) and mount that to a custom built linkage on the t case.

Ok, Thanks. I'm still trying to get around that mud getting packed in there thing.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:48 PM
rockcrawler_101
Senior User
I dought you will have any issue with that and there is always a water hose that can take care of it. As long as you dont let it stay in there and harden over a couple days you will be able to move it back and forth. Its got alot of leverage and only goes 1/4 of a turn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: esof elimination build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.