1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering stabilizer...just a shock??

Old 07-22-2009, 03:13 PM
silly34
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steering stabilizer...just a shock??

Thinking maybe I should replace the shock looking thing running along the front of the front axle. Just upgraded all of my regular shocks to Bilsteins.. should I replace it with one of those.. or is this thing hydraulic for steering... forgive my ignorance!!

B.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:24 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Bilstein does not make steering stabilizers. You will have to go somewhere else (Procomp, Racho, etc...) to get one.

It is a shock, but it's specially designed to operate horizontally. You can buy a cheap replacement (standard shock of the right size), but it may or may not work well when you mount it on its side.

I bought a Procomp replacement and a red boot for my rig to replace my stock one that was worn out (and beat up) and I think I paid around $40 from 4WheelParts.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:25 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The steering stabilizer is valved different than a shock and should not be replaced with a shock. You will have to look specifically for a steering stabilizer. Many of the shock brand makers have them but I don't think bilsteins do for some reason. I run a rancho and many on here run skyjacker, as well as others. If you off road some or want to run larger tires I would suggest the dual set up. I went single and with the off roading that I do I now wish that I went dual, but live and learn. Off road the single just allows more tire movement.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:27 PM
silly34
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info! I don't do much off-roading but plan to drive in some very soft beach sand in August for a few days. That and I just replaced all of these other shocks (worn out) and figured I might as well do this one too.

B.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:34 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Even with stock size wheels/tires, the Super Duty has some heavy steering. I can't imagine driving without at least a single stabilizer with my solid front axle on- or off-road. I do a lot of off-roading and the single does me just fine (plus it's less stuff to hit with rocks).

Until I replaced my dead OEM stabilizer, I didn't realize how much I was fighting the steering when I was driving...

Old 07-22-2009, 08:08 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used a bilstien on mine, I spec'd it from the catalog and talked it through here a few years ago. The valving is very equal and no pressure. It's worked very well for the last few years and it matches the silver shocks.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Futuresweets-10
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have replaced mine with one from a parts store several times. Not from being warn out, but I seem to bend the damn thing up a lot.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:11 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Futuresweets-10
I have replaced mine with one from a parts store several times. Not from being warn out, but I seem to bend the damn thing up a lot.
If you do a lot of turning at full lock on the wheel, or get the wrong length then you can damage the shock. If the bracket is not adjusted correctly on the right side outer tie rod, then that also is a problem.

My problem seems to be rocks on the trails .

Old 07-23-2009, 12:32 PM
94blueford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ReAX
I used a bilstien on mine, I spec'd it from the catalog and talked it through here a few years ago. The valving is very equal and no pressure. It's worked very well for the last few years and it matches the silver shocks.
I think I know the part number you used (F4-BE5-F884-H0). Sadly (and mysteriously) they don't sell it anymore -- I even called their headquarters about a month ago to make sure I just wasn't blind.

If it was discontinued due to a pure lack-of-demand, that is a real bummer because lots of us would jump all over that item these days. However, if they found something wrong with it causing it to go extinct, I'd be curious for your sake, and would be eager to find out when the replacement model is slated for release.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:27 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
That number doesn't seem right. Here is the thread where we figured it out https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...abilizers.html

I think this is the one I ordered and has been on the front end of my truck since this thread.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:36 PM
mdwilli
Junior User
I spoke to Bilstein's customer service in April. They told me they were just getting into manufacturing steering stabilizer shocks and they are due to be released late summer of this year.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:20 PM
wideglidewoody00
Senior User
I bought a 2004 F-250 5.4 and it looks like it has never had a steering stabilizer on it. The tires are 285 with the stock ride height and I have never had the death wobble. Do all these 4x4 truck come from the factory with one. Maybe the guy on the line was asleep at the switch and this one got by.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:34 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Welcome. Usually they don't miss something as big as the steering stabilizer on Monday morning or Friday afternoon. I believe a few did ship sans stabilizer.

The steering stabilizer is more to reduce the felt oscillations in the steering wheel than controlling steering.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:41 PM
wideglidewoody00
Senior User
There are no marks on the tie rod paint where the u bolts hold the one end of the stabilizer on, that is why I think the truck never had one. No problems with steering wheel oscillation or the death wobble. The truck does wander a bit but I know the ball joints are starting to get loose and I can't have the alignment until I replace them.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:09 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by wideglidewoody00
There are no marks on the tie rod paint where the u bolts hold the one end of the stabilizer on, that is why I think the truck never had one. No problems with steering wheel oscillation or the death wobble. The truck does wander a bit but I know the ball joints are starting to get loose and I can't have the alignment until I replace them.
I think the stabilizer came with the certain off-road packages.

EDIT: I just looked at the build info for my truck. For 2003, the steering stabilizer for the F-250 4x4 and 4x2 was standard equipment (if the truck had a GVWR of more than 8500lbs).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering stabilizer...just a shock??