noise and thud

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 12:11 PM
bigblu
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noise and thud

This might be hard to explain. When I come to a complete stop, I feel a stiff feeling in the body, and hear it as well. It's like the feeling and sound when I put the emergency brake on, I fully stop the truck, and then the truck rolls back a tiny bit with a stiff sound). Follow me so far? It also does this when I initially accellerate from a dead stop. My husband thought it might be the linkage, and sprayed wd-40 all around there. But it didn't do it.

However, last year when we changed the tranny filter (c-6 deep sump), we found tiny metal flakes. We know it's time for a rebuild. Got quotes of $800 (ouch)..

Also, while I drive my truck, every once in a while, the transfer case seems to rattle a little (it's not in gear, I'd made sure).

Hopefully when taxes come back, I can get the tranny done, as well as look at the transfer case.

It's a 400c, c6 tranny, 2 barrel

Anybody go through this before in their truck?

"Blu" 78 F-150 4x4
400c, 35" mud king tires
4" lift
Husbands reign; Wives govern

Old 01-21-2001, 05:39 PM
Nathan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
noise and thud

The noise and thud might be a loose front brake caliper. A little metal in the tranny pan is normal, thats why there is a magnet in there to pick it up before the fluid pickup does. How many miles on the tranny? Mine went 220,000 before rebuild and the previous owner(first 110,000) never even changed the fluid and filter (they towed with it too). My point is, you may not need a rebuild yet As for the T-case rattle, is it heard through the shifter? If so, the rubber tranny mounts may need replaced (come to think of it, this could cause your other problem, too) Good luck and let us know what you find!

Nathan

Old 01-21-2001, 06:47 PM
billyb
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
noise and thud

the noise and thud i probably coming fron the slip joint on the drive shaft. it probably needs lubricating and is running dry, causing it to bind.

Old 01-21-2001, 10:34 PM
oz9609
Senior User
noise and thud

Check the suspension bushings and the axle shaft joints on the front

Old 01-22-2001, 02:16 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
noise and thud

I don't know about the noise, but I can say that the cost of having your C6 rebuilt should be $250. I see ads in the paper all the time, and the remove / install should be $150. The C6 is supposed to be one of the easy ones to rebuild. You might check with a tranny company that has an exchange setup, drop your's off, pick up the rebuilt one at the same time.

Old 01-22-2001, 03:40 AM
bigblu
Senior User
noise and thud

I forgot to mention, that a few weekends ago, I played in the mud out here in a state offroad park. It was thick wet mud, not too sloshy, but not too dry. I know mud isn't good for parts, but if you knew me, I HAD to get my truck dirty!!! It's been clean to darn long... Hehehe..I had so much fun, playing hard (everything on my dash went flying), that my truck died, and I found my battery on it's side (had to get a new one, killed the cells in the one I had)

And now I think I'm paying for it.
I got in trouble with my hubby (he was off with the kids in the gocart), because I waited 2 weeks before I washed my truck (had to show my glory around town). Then I took it to the quarter wash, and high pressure washed it. I hit the axles, the outside of the wheels and inside, and tried to mainly clean all spinning and moving parts. "Blu" 78 F-150 4x4

400c, 35" mud king tires
4" lift

Old 01-29-2001, 11:59 AM
bigblu
Senior User
noise and thud

Here it goes.

Took my truck to the four wheel drive shop, and had the owner drive it. He heard and felt the noise. Got underneath it and saw my motormounts. There were 2 bolts that needed replacing, and one that was missing. So, he said what I was hearing is the motor moving around when I mashed the throttle (oops there I go again, talking like my hubby).. It goes into the shop wednesday to have it taken care of. Hopefully, it will clear up, and maybe I'll feel more hp with the motor staying still. . The truck has great low end torque. Hubby already put a torque chain to the top of the motor.

"Blu" 78 F-150 4x4
400c, 35" mud king tires
4" lift

Old 01-29-2001, 10:23 PM
thecoppercowboy
Junior User
noise and thud

You caught it before you got into trouble. I had one darn near lay over on it's side. The valve cover hit the bottom of the hood. The torque chain is a great idea. If you really want extra insurance, switch to solid motor mounts.

Old 01-31-2001, 11:56 PM
bigblu
Senior User
noise and thud

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-Feb-01 AT 00:56 AM (EST)[/font][p]Just had the motor mounts for the tranny and motor replaced today. and it didn't fix the thud problem. When I got home, I Had all the motor mounts removed and reinstalled (what a difference in power). But didn't solve the problem. took my hubby for a ride (he drove), and he power braked it (under a load). When he released the brake, it was like the motor had a brief instant of free spin, before the tranny ingaged in gear, and moved the truck. Hubby thinks it's somewhere in the converter. It only does it from a dead stop. Would a bad vacuum modulator cause this??

The shop mentioned the yoke had minor play in it, and one front ball joint needs r/r.

Thanks!!

Shannan

"Blu" 78 F-150 4x4
400c, 35" mud king tires
4" lift

Old 02-01-2001, 12:00 AM
oz9609
Senior User
noise and thud

Do a quick check of your suspension bushings. Sounds like something is loose.

Old 02-02-2001, 05:59 AM
gadams
Senior User
noise and thud

Sounds like the free-spinning is either the torque converter or bad clutch plate(s) in the C6... good luck.
That might also have something to do with rough engagement (thud).

Greg

Old 02-28-2001, 01:46 AM
bigblu
Senior User
noise and thud

Well, took my truck in, had the tranny band adjusted, and it made no real difference, so I had them do a rebuild. It turned out to be the clutches, they were worn. Wouldn't you know, the darn flywheel was worn too, so I had em throw in another flywheel, rebuild the darn thing, and that would fix it. And to spoil myself a little I threw in a stage 1 shift kit (hubby tried to talk me into a stage 2), and a brazed converter (heavy duty). Hubby agrees, was the best thing I decided to do with my tax returns. Now the truck shifts right on the money, and no more thud, or free spin.

Also found out that my cross member bar flexes (have to get that welded or something), and now I have gear oil comin out my front axle (do I hear Bearings calling me??).. I've got some saving up to do again. Also need my upper and lower ball joints, steering stabilizers, a posi, and a new motor (or rebuild it), and my truck will be brand new. Already have the whole undercarriage done.

So, I wanted to thank you all who helped me figure things out.. And wow, has this woman learned alot about trannys, converters, gears, etc.. When the hubby says "you do it, it's your truck, you need to learn", you really figure out there's nothin to it.. Just remember how you take it apart, and listen to the noises.. I'm gettin pretty good.. I actually went into the speed shop, lookin for future goodies..LOL..

"Blu" 78 F-150 4x4
400c, 35" mud king tires
4" lift

Old 02-28-2001, 06:38 AM
mattlm
New User
noise and thud