Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Topic--Electronic gurus

Old 07-04-2009, 03:16 PM
thbowen
Senior User
thbowen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.thbowen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Off Topic--Electronic gurus

Ok guys I setting up something for some kids and I have a siren that is going to go off, but when the siren goes off I want it to shut off 10 seconds later. So basically when power is supplied I need something inline that automatically disconnects power after 10 seconds then resets. Any type of relay or ??? that will do this? Thanks

Old 07-04-2009, 03:43 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster
WA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to all
Yes there is. It's called a time delay relay. I'm no electronics guru, but I'll search around and see what I can dig up. Jim, (Megawatt) should be along shortly and probly have a pn. for you.

edit: Here's what I'm refering too, but you'll need a socket to use with this style- http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catalog/feat/en/c/15003

Old 07-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
DC or AC power? What voltage?

Old 07-04-2009, 03:49 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster
WA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to all
Old 07-04-2009, 03:51 PM
dpwilson
Elder User
dpwilson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dpwilson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Go down to your local electric supply house (Grainger, CED etc) tell them what you are doing and they will have everything there for you. The above mentioned will work and I'm willing to bet they have that and the sockets in stock.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:20 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.
Johnstone Supply would be a possibility if there is one near you.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:14 PM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Off-topic, but there's an interesting-looking relay on that site. Twelve-volt coil, 300-amp contacts, for $7.50 apiece.

Wonder if it could double for a GPR.

Pop

Old 07-05-2009, 12:00 AM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Off-topic, but there's an interesting-looking relay on that site. Twelve-volt coil, 300-amp contacts, for $7.50 apiece.

Pop
I didn't look around that site too much, but that sounds like something we would use on DC powered forklifts!

Old 07-05-2009, 12:27 AM
agg_bagg
Senior User
agg_bagg is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post

Pop
<table style="border-collapse: collapse;" id="Table2" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="ProdDisplay2" width="100%">Detailed Description </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="sitewidefonts" width="100%"> 12 VDC Relay/Solenoid.
300 Amp Intermittent duty.
2 Threaded terminals for the contacts.
1 Threaded terminal with 1/4" push-on terminals for the coil.
The coil grounds through the mounting bracket.
Measures: 3" x 2" x 2-3/4". </td></tr></tbody></table>

would that work very well though i would think a seperate lug for the ground would be better.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:34 AM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by agg_bagg View Post
<table style="border-collapse: collapse;" id="Table2" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="ProdDisplay2" width="100%">Detailed Description </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="sitewidefonts" width="100%"> 12 VDC Relay/Solenoid.
300 Amp Intermittent duty.
2 Threaded terminals for the contacts.
1 Threaded terminal with 1/4" push-on terminals for the coil.
The coil grounds through the mounting bracket.
Measures: 3" x 2" x 2-3/4". </td></tr></tbody></table>

would that work very well though i would think a seperate lug for the ground would be better.
You are quite correct. The relay for a GPR needs to have both a high and low-side contact for the coil. This one won't work.

I didn't make that final click for "more details", where I would have seen that little detail.

Thanks for going the extra mile.

Pop

Old 07-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
Also, aren't the Stancors rated for something like 600A intermittent? 300 seems a little low to me, IIRC.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:23 AM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
The Stancor 802-586-902 is 200 continuous, 600 inrush (1/2 second).

Just the same, the one from skycraftsurplus needs to have another coil lug to be useable with out some kind of modification.

That relay might be good for some other applications, but not the GPR.

I may still buy one, however.

Pop

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.