1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Slipping - Castrol ATF Fluid??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:56 PM
UaVaj
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Slipping - Castrol ATF Fluid??

I recently change the tranny fluid with 6qt of castrol dosmestic multi-vehicle formula.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7027043

The tranny is now slipping at higher rpm. Tranny is smooth and shifting normal through all gears including overdrive ONLY if I keep the rpm low below ~3000.

If I drive it like I stoled it or if I need to quick acclerate. Anything above ~3000rpm and it will slip completely (as in 100% slip). As soon as the rpm comes back down to ~2500 she lockup again.

I think it is the fluids. It was not slipping prior to the fluid change. Anyone experience this with Castrol ATF Domestic Fluid?

Old 07-03-2009, 08:04 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Well I would start there. What you need to do is a complete flush of the system and then the correct type fluid in there.

I suggest that you take it in to a Ford quick lube place and get the trans flushed. They can heat the fluid and rinse it out. A little pricey but much better than where you are headed for right now.

Try not to drive it till you can get it done is my best advice.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
I have no experience with that fluid, but it should not cause a problem. It meets the specs that your trans was designed for.

Check the fluid level with the trans warmed up and the engine idling in park. Low fluid could do this. So could a loose internal filter.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:59 AM
UaVaj
Senior User
fluid level is good. I only put in as much as I sucked out. It is on the correct making on the stick while engine is idling in park.

as for the loser internal filter. I didn't take the pan off. I only sucked out the tranny fluid. I stick the tube in as far as it could go. Could it be possible that the tube knock the filter off it's installed position?

In your 9 year of ford auto tranny engineer. have you ever seen anything like what I just described?

Old 07-04-2009, 11:11 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
What I find weird is that from that web page: "Do not use this ATF in applications calling for MERCON® V "

Since Mercon V is now spec'd for EVERYTHING that ever used Mercon or Mercon V, I find it very strange they would say it's not Mercon V compatible.

HOWEVER, it still should be OK because your 4R100 called for plain Mercon to begin with.

I'm with Mark: Low fluid.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by UaVaj
Could it be possible that the tube knock the filter off it's installed position?
Yes, it's possible, but not too likely.

In your 9 year of ford auto tranny engineer. have you ever seen anything like what I just described?
2007-1988 = 19.

Yes, I have, and it was due to low fluid or a loose/misinstalled filter.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Krewat
Since Mercon V is now spec'd for EVERYTHING that ever used Mercon or Mercon V, I find it very strange they would say it's not Mercon V compatible.
It makes sense to me. The biggest difference between MERCON and MERCON V is that V has anti-shudder additives. Running MERCON in a trans that requires MERCON V will usually result in torque converter and shifting shudder.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:40 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
It makes sense to me. The biggest difference between MERCON and MERCON V is that V has anti-shudder additives. Running MERCON in a trans that requires MERCON V will usually result in torque converter and shifting shudder.
Oh, it makes sense to me TOO... technically.

Marketing wise, and after Ford went all-Mercon V, it's just weird.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

MERCON V can replace MERCON, but MERCON cannot replace MERCON V.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The link for the tranny fluid also stated not to use in applications calling for Mercon V and Mercon SP. I would get that fluid out of there asap.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:09 PM
BMWM1
Tuned
Is there not a drain plug on the transmission ?

Did you have any trans issues before the change?

I would think the first thing to do is remove the fluid.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:31 PM
senix
Super Moderator
no drain plug, either remove the pan or go for a flush. In the ops case he needs a flush to get it out of the torque converter.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 05 PSD SD had a drain plug on the tranny, but no way to drain the converter. A flush and filter change seems to be the best way to go and hope no damage is done.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:01 PM
UaVaj
Senior User
From the owner's manual from ford official website.

Ensure the correct automatic transmission fluid is used. Transmission fluid requirements are indicated on the dipstick or on the dipstick
handle. MERCON and MERCON V are not interchangeable. DO NOT mix MERCON and MERCON V. Refer to your Scheduled Maintenance Guide to determine the correct service interval.

Some transmission fluids may be labeled as dual usage, such as MERCON and MERCON V. These dual usage fluids are not to be used in an automatic transmission that requires use of the MERCON type fluid. However, these dual usage fluids may be used in transmissions that require the MERCON V type fluid.

MERCON and MERCON V type fluids are not interchangeable. DO NOT mix MERCON and MERCON V. Use of a transmission fluid that indicates dual usage (MERCON and MERCON V) in an automatic transmission application requiring MERCON may cause transmission damage. Use of any fluid other than the recommended fluid may cause transmission damage.

https://www.flmowner.com/servlet/Con...OwnerGuidePage

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../00f23og3e.pdf

Old 07-04-2009, 04:58 PM
senix
Super Moderator
From the owner's manual from ford official website.

Ensure the correct automatic transmission fluid is used. Transmission fluid requirements are indicated on the dipstick or on the dipstick
handle. MERCON and MERCON V are not interchangeable. DO NOT mix MERCON and MERCON V. Refer to your Scheduled Maintenance Guide to determine the correct service interval.

Some transmission fluids may be labeled as dual usage, such as MERCON and MERCON V. These dual usage fluids are not to be used in an automatic transmission that requires use of the MERCON type fluid. However, these dual usage fluids may be used in transmissions that require the MERCON V type fluid.

MERCON and MERCON V type fluids are not interchangeable. DO NOT mix MERCON and MERCON V. Use of a transmission fluid that indicates dual usage (MERCON and MERCON V) in an automatic transmission application requiring MERCON may cause transmission damage. Use of any fluid other than the recommended fluid may cause transmission damage.

https://www.flmowner.com/servlet/Con...OwnerGuidePage

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../00f23og3e.pdf
So let us know what you do the results.

Quick Reply: Tranny Slipping - Castrol ATF Fluid??