Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Dual Saw

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Dual Saw

Has any one bought one? Does it do what they say? Is it worth what they want for it?
I'm sitting here watching Sully and Billy pitching it. Just wondering if anybody has any personal experience with it.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
they've got them at sears too......and they work pretty darn good....they really will cut through just about anything

Old 07-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ps....and the sears ones are craftsman

Old 07-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Neat- Billy selling from the grave.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:16 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow, don't know anyone who owns one, appears from the video it certainly could come in handy. Wish I had not come across this thread, having an obsession for tools so it looks like I am going shopping. Have to check out the brands, when it comes to Craftsman power tools they are probably 3rd or 4th on my list.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:48 AM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Yep I have that same obsession with tools. That's why I was looking at it, even though I have enough tools to do the same jobs it is supposed to do.
It figures that Craftsman would get there name on a simular tool, they seem to always do that.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:08 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Have since done a little browsing, from the few reviews I have been able to find, appears couple buyers complained the motor tends to over heat. Possibly operator error but for a power tool 7 amps seems kinda weak. At $180 my obsession is wanning; alhough, see Craftsman is having a sale. Came across a link where it was noted HF has couple versions but I was not able to find it in their online catalog. Also, according to the link, Craftsman came out with the saw a few yrs. back and discontinued it and now for past couple years brought it back. Anyhow, think I am going to hold off for now and look into it little more. Perhaps a mini Circular Saw will curb my appetite.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:41 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Since you mentionedHF. I thought I'd let you know that they have a multi tool, like the Fien Multi Master or the Rockwell Sonicrafter for 39.00. I bought one and have used it alot and it seems to handle what i put it through. It also uses the same accessories as the two mentioned, so you can buy extras for it tthrough their sites. So far HF doesn't carry any extras that i know off. And Ebay has alot of the extras aswell for alot cheaper than buying from their sites.
I think I'm going to check out Sears and HF for their versions of the dual saw and compare notes. I just don't know when I'll get to it.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:43 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
I just looked up the Craftsman version, Icouldn't find it on the Craftsman site, but did find it on the Sears site. The reviews for it are 50/50. Withe dislikes being very bad, from bad cuts to over heating of the motor.
for what I would use it for, it appears that it would suck to use.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:48 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Wow, opened the HF website and the Multi Function Tool video is staring me in the face. Was looking at 'soniccrafter' looks like a versatile tool but pricey. Personal experience found with HF power tools is simular to a crap shoot, had some last quite some time, and others did not last as long as it takes to boil an egg. Anyhow, thanks for the heads-up seems reasonable, heck for $39 it may be worth a try.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
dont have one but am intrigued by it.. the guy that designed it is a volunteer fire fighter and thats who he invented it for.. he wanted to make something that was safer for them to use vs their current saw... and possibly replace the jaws of life too...

Old 07-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by *2fords*
I just looked up the Craftsman version, Icouldn't find it on the Craftsman site, but did find it on the Sears site. The reviews for it are 50/50. Withe dislikes being very bad, from bad cuts to over heating of the motor.
for what I would use it for, it appears that it would suck to use.

i have a hard time believing alot of those review things... partly cuz most of them you dont even have to of actually owned the tool to review it.. and at that point you could just get someone in there that doesnt like a specific brand that has gone in there and written bad reviews..

but i do agree with daveengelson... they could have been using it improperly.. specially when they claim it started smoking.. im sorry but the casings would have been well hot well before that point... the same guy claims he was cutting 1/4" steel flat bar.. even thats hard on regular grinders with cut off disks... if the cuts came out terrible (as he claims) then its operator error...

Old 07-04-2009, 06:50 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Originally Posted by daveengelson
Wow, opened the HF website and the Multi Function Tool video is staring me in the face. Was looking at 'soniccrafter' looks like a versatile tool but pricey. Personal experience found with HF power tools is simular to a crap shoot, had some last quite some time, and others did not last as long as it takes to boil an egg. Anyhow, thanks for the heads-up seems reasonable, heck for $39 it may be worth a try.
i have one Dave, and i have put it through hell over the past 7 months.the only problem i have found with it is i wore out one of the blades.

it is shaping up to be the best $39 i have ever spent at HF.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:33 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Tom, thanks for the info., not a tool user friendly person but figure for $39 what the heck, although, trying to determine what the difference the 2 models, $39, and $59. Anyhow, in the midst of home remodel so am sure it will come in handy. Also included an extra 3 blade set for $6.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:03 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Dave, I just got the new HF catalogue. I didn't see their version of the dual saw in there either.
Also if you get any of the Off Road/4x4 magazines. They've had a coupon in them for the HF multi saw for around 35.00.
It 's true some of their power tools are crap. but I have had good luck with some of them. I bought one of their 17.00 4 1/2" grinders and used it for almost 3 hours straight grinding on my D44 3/4 ton front axle calipers and backing plates to make my 15" wheels fit over them, and it never got hot or slowed down. I had it for almost 13 years til it was stolen.
I've had my 18 volt drill for at least ten years with no problems either.
But then I've had a 3/8" drill and reciprocating saw that didn't last through the first job I used them on.

Quick Reply: Dual Saw