1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 Mercury VIN Help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:18 AM
mclaughlinrp
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
49 Mercury VIN Help...

Can anyone help me decode the VIN on my '49 M-47?

Here's what I have:

Engine: 9EE-973
Model: MD83
Trim: 16
Paint: 35
Serial: MD83H49-28525

Here's what I know:

"9" in engine is for '49, "E" is the 239 and 973 is the sequence number
MD83 = Mercury pickup 114" wheel base
H = Built at "home" office whatever that is
'49 Year
28525 sequence number of manufacture

Here's what I don't know:

What does the second "E" in the engine code mean?
What color is "35"?
What is "16" trim?

I searched the forums and the web and haven't been able to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated as usual!

Ryan

Old 07-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Ryan. I can help with a few of your questions. The " H " for home is for the Windsor, Ontario, Canada assembly plant. All the early Mercury trucks were built here. It was Ford's first Canadian plant and is across the river from Detroit Michigan. I'm not sure but I think the secone " E " has to do with the transmission in your Merc. I have a single :E" and the 3speed in my Merc.
The colour 35 ? Well it's not green cuz I've got a 16 and have green with black fenders on my truck.
The "16" for trim is the standard brown interior which I have too. Your truck came off the assembly line before mine as my number is 32362 and have the date of Oct 6 1949 in yellow paint on the firewall. Sorry I can't give you anymore help but it's a start.
Greg M-47

Old 07-01-2009, 03:28 PM
mclaughlinrp
Senior User

Thanks! That's a great start.

I think the color might be a very light blue but it isn't listed as a color for '49 Fords. The only place I can find it is a remnant on the underside of the cab and it's very hard to tell what it is. Did Mercury offer different colors and was the two tone scheme you gave me the link to earlier an option?

My truck has a 4 speed non-synchro transmission which might account for the other "E" but I'm not sure this was original as it has a reverse latch on the shifter which I thought was pre '48.

We are getting more and more interested in going back to 100% stock since it's getting hard to find any that way. If we do, I have to find hub caps, fender trim and the radio delete plate/speaker grill--tall orders I know.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Hi Ryan. It's me again. I see I typed in the wrong colour number. I found my plate and the paint is 22, which is yosemite green. I did some digging in my Mercury stuff and found an old reply from Sandy at the Ford historical branch for Canada (Unfortunately she has retired) and in the information she sent me about my 1948 Mercury that I traded for the 1949 was some paint information.
21-vermillion red, 20-black,41-sheridan blue,34-birch grey and one that will interest you, 35-sea mist green.
I can seach for the parts you need but can't guarantee much. I saw a real nice radio blankout for $200 two years ago. The stainless for the fenders was up to $600 for a set of dent free polished pieces at the Barrie swapmeet last year. ( $300 the year before )
Greg M-47

Old 07-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Okay so I haven't burned out my two typing fingers yet. I reread your message and yes the two tone green/black was an option. I've seen several with this.
100% original? Are you up to a challenge? It is getting harder and harder to find Merc stuff. Do you know what you are missing? You say you need front fender stainless. What about the fender lights. And you've probably got Ford front fenders so will need Merc ones with the recess for the lights. ( Mine are bad so might go to fiberglass fenders unless I can find some good Ford ones to "Mercify " )
Then the "M-47" emblems for the cab, the grill, the Mercury name for above the grill, the hood mercuryman between the nostrils.
Then in the cab: the "grey" plastic stuff. The radio blankout,the radio grill, the ashtray ****,the light switch ****.
I've probably forgot something but lots right there to look for. Let me know if I can help and good luck. Glad to hear that you are refocused on your Merc.
Greg M-47

Old 07-02-2009, 02:37 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Here is a great site that should provide the answers you need:

http://www.mercurypickup.com/1948canadianvinplate.htm

Good luck

Old 07-02-2009, 11:17 AM
mclaughlinrp
Senior User

Julie--that is a great site and it provided most of the info, Greg filled in the rest of the blanks. Thanks.

Greg--yes, I believe restoring this thing may be close to impossible. I am missing the stainless fender trim, the radio delete plate/speaker cover, the M-47 badges and the hubcaps. I do have the front grill, hood emblems, horn button and tailgate and can probably cut the recesses out in the fenders easily enough. Actually it seems like I'm missing more than I have!

The main question is should I? I just bought a parts truck that I have to get here from Missouri somehow and it looks to be complete but of course it is not a Mercury. Personally, a restored Ford would make me plenty happy, but I'm out voted three to one in my family on that. Adding insult to injury, the numbers match from my frame to my cab, so the truck is an authentic Mercury just wanting a little (lot of) TLC. Depending on the condition of the parts truck, I'm considering doing a "Fercury" to make the kids happy and keeping the Ford stuff for AACA if I decide to go that route. Decisions, decisions....

Thanks for all the help. You might want to take a look on ebay--parts truck in CO with fenders you might could use and no bids. Also, I have fiberglass fenders I will give away if you want to deal with them--I don't recommend them though.

Ryan

Old 07-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Glad you found the information useful. I'm on that mercury truck website and it does have a lot of good info. I sent Tom Skews some information to add to the site and I collected information on mercury trucks for a Registry. Kind of got away from it lately. My pending plant closure and early retirement has been on my mind.
The front fender light mount isn't just a hole cut in for the light but a " flattened " type spot on the curve of the fender. Hard to discribe . Wish I could show you a picture but Computer Challenged. That's why I might go to a fiberglass fender.( Till I find a good Ford halfton fender that I can weld my cut out mercury light mount to )
There is a guy on the mercury site that can help with the parts you might need. This guy also makes the fender that I'm thinking of getting. Look for the McMillan ad.
I'll check out the ebay ad but haven't used ebay for a while as the shipping to Canada has been crazy lately.
Greg M-47

Old 07-03-2009, 01:44 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mclaughlinrp
The main question is should I?
Ryan
Hey Ryan-----Never say never - I'd give the old girl a shot!