Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Side Freeze Plug under Motor Mount on an F-250

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:20 PM
cjhusky
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver Side Freeze Plug under Motor Mount on an F-250

Hey guys; really need some help on this one. As in HEEELLPP!
1992 F-250, 7.3L Diesel. I had two freeze plugs blow this winter (both out of the lower block) and I'm replacing all 4 down low. I have gotten 3 of them replaced, but I am completely stumped on the 4th. The 4th one is on the driver's side under the motor mount. The plug itself is already completely out (it was just sitting there!), but there is less than 3/4" of access between the face of the motor mount and the feeze plug hole. I bought a rubber replacement and also an expandable (with nut) brass one, but neither of them allow me access to the hole...it's just too shallow.

I have never removed a motor mount nor lifted an engine, so the thought of that process has my anxiety up. Even getting to the motor mounts looks really tough because the oil pump is also sitting right above the mounts.

If I do have to remove the motor mount and jack the engine, how do I do that? It seems there is mounting bolts that mount to the frame and also mount to the motor naturally, but the mount itself appears to be two pieces.

Is that the only option? Will removing the driver's side tire help with access?

I was sailing along on the first three after dropping the starter on the passenger side, but this one is an absolute nightmare. Anyone that could offer up some tips is welcome a beer from me!!!

Thanks in advance for any advice here.

Regards,
Chris

Old 06-28-2009, 06:48 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
don't use the rubber plugs. they will come out when it is not convient. they were designed to plug the hole in a boat, and that is what they are good for. go to the parts place you deal with and get brass freeze plugs, they will outlast the truck. to do the one under the motor mount, you will need to take the nut off the large bolt that protrudes under the crossmember from the bottom. then place a floor jack under the oil pan. raise it enough to un do the 3 bolts that hold the motor mount to the block. remove the motor mount, repair freeze plug. check the motor mount well, if good, put it back on, if not, now is the time to replace it.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:04 PM
cjhusky
New User
Crap, I am having a nightmare with this one. I've removed the drivers side tire, but still cannot access the motor mounts because the (I think it's the oil pump) is in the way. Its a long cylinder with the oil filter at teh rear of it. It is in the way of removing the motor moounts.

Please HELP!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:23 PM
cjhusky
New User

So I have found out that it is the "oil cooler" which is in my way unless I am completely missing something. I removed all the bolts attaching it at the oil filter end, but it seems I have to also remove the ones at the front to get it all the way out. And now I'm assuming that since I've broken the gasket seal on the filter end it has to come out ??? At least when it came loose it dumped a pisspot of water on my face/chest.

Man this is a lot of work for a damn freeze plug!

Last edited by cjhusky; 06-28-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: adding a photo link
Old 06-28-2009, 10:09 PM
33homerdoodle
New User
In your picture 80 and 81 can't you get at those 4 bolts and drop or raise the whole unit? Feel your pain my 460 lost the #3 plug on the passenger side on top of the motor mount. It sucked. Mine there are two bolts up/down tucked into the pocket of the mount both my regular socket and deep would not work. Broke loose with box end and cheater went a 1/4 turn at a time on a 2"+ bolt. When out I discovered I could not make a straight hit on it without removing the leaf spring. Can't drive one of those buggars in on an angle at least I'm not that lucky. Even with spring off it's a bear. Don't forget to use a thin layer of high temp gasket sealer around the edge. Also, be carefull how your jacking that engine up. Don't go flat under the pan or you'll crush it. I used a 2x4 about 18" and handy space between block and exhaust. Make sure it's straight up and down or you'll get a big surprize when the jack shoots out at you. Guess how I know. Mine went up about 3" without crushing anything.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:22 PM
cjhusky
New User
I got the oil cooler loosened (all 4 bolts on BOTH sides), but I cannot find a way to fish it out of there in either direction. The steering column and the header pipe make give me no way that I can see I can get it out. So now the oil cooler is totally free and I can work it back and forth, but it still blocks my ability to get to the motor mount and/or the freeze plug. Spent the whole day on this sucker and I'm no closer to getting the freeze plug in then when i started... I am really frustrated right now

Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 PM
33homerdoodle
New User
Sorry I'm no better help, my 460 only has 3 on each side the front one's have a hole in the frame allowing access and the backs are pretty wide open just have to drop the exhaust from the manifold but the two in the middle are very, very bad. My oil filter is in the front under the water pump and the steering column doesn't look too bad. Shame that oil setup is in your way. Got any quotes from a mechanic? Might be time to give up. Trust me with my adventure I'd about payed anything to have someone else do it. Took two full days and probably easier than yours.