Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What I learned last night

Old 06-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I learned last night

I'm officially on vacation, and in anticipation of a large storm...I loaded up the quad and headed for Colorado at 6:30 p.m. last night. Got into Denver at 5:45 this morning. Had an interesting drive. Learned a few things.

6. When its dark outside, cardboard boxes, when large and brown and strewn about on the highway, look just like a herd of deer. BTW, any of you who live near Omaha, if you see about 70' of black rubber marks on Westbound I-80 just East of Omaha, remember, LISA WAS THERE.

5. My truck stops really, really well for a 8,000 lb machine hurdling down the highway.

4. Ogalala, NE realy does have the cleanest gas station bathrooms.

3. Three energy drinks and gas station coffee all in one night really screws up your stomach.

2. Sunflower seeds work great for fighting off sleepyness.

1. When you have a DP Tuner, and no overboost solution, and you have the truck set on cruise and it defuels on a small hill, the SES light will trip on. I have a code stored but no scanner. This brings me to the purpose of this thread.

I was tailin it down the highway somewhere in Nebraska at like 2 this morning and as the truck went down a hill and then back up (I know I found a hill in Nebraska, amazing) the turbo kicked on. I built up enough boost that the computer sensed overboost, and the truck defueld. Well, I had the truck in cruise..so when the truck woke back up again, the cruise went crazy and the truck got all the way up to 80 mph and then cruise kicked off and my SES light came on. Anyone have any clue what might've happened, or any further explination? I pulled over, shut the truck off and restarted and no SES light, and she drove great the rest of the trip.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:04 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lisa, you hit 25 psi of boost ( or greater ) The SES would have most likely shut off in about a 1 or 2 minutes.. Glad you made it safe!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
The freaky part was, I had cruise set on 70, not 80. Also, the SES did not go off. I had no safe place to pull off for oh, I'd say about 6 or 7 minutes. SES light shut off when I shut the truck off and restarted.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:09 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am going to sit back and listen in then..I hope it is nothing to worry about!!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you made it alive! Did you flat spot your tires????

Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
I think it was a code that tripped because of the cruise control. I had the cruise set for a specific speed, and the engine couldn't maintain said speed because of defuel. I think thats what did it.

I am curious what the PCM experts have to say about it though.

Nolan I just went out and checked my tires...they are fine. I mean, they are a brand new set of tires so I have a lot less "nipples" now but...nothing more than that. Sure got my heart rate up. I wouldn't have been able to stop in time if a trucker up ahead hadn't flickered his lights off and on to warn me there was an issue.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:26 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Lisa, I've seen my truck (not yet chipped) on steep hills not be able to keep excellent cruise control, and when it starts losing speed in spite of the gently increased throttled, it eventually kicks the truck in the butt and sort of tromps the throttle a little bit... kind of like saying, "speed up.... speed up.... that's not enough yet.... come ON, now.... Speed it UP.... ok, then SPEED UP NOOOWWWW!!!".

Anyway, I expect that might be what you ran into and when your cruise finally kicked in hard, you hit the overboost limit just because of how nicely the DP programming knows how to respond to that last, urgent DEMAND for power.

Maybe I'm wrong...

Old 06-25-2009, 12:39 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
Lisa, I've seen my truck (not yet chipped) on steep hills not be able to keep excellent cruise control, and when it starts losing speed in spite of the gently increased throttled, it eventually kicks the truck in the butt and sort of tromps the throttle a little bit... kind of like saying, "speed up.... speed up.... that's not enough yet.... come ON, now.... Speed it UP.... ok, then SPEED UP NOOOWWWW!!!".

Anyway, I expect that might be what you ran into and when your cruise finally kicked in hard, you hit the overboost limit just because of how nicely the DP programming knows how to respond to that last, urgent DEMAND for power.

Maybe I'm wrong...
This would be what I was going to say.
Oh, and my overboost code sets of the SES light at 24#. Sounds like you need one of those OBAs.
The light will go off on its own after about 10 miles or so.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:43 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Lisa FWIW you dont need to pull over to shut the ses light off just turn the ignition off then back on as your rollin down the highway and the light will go off and your truck will continue on and all will be good.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:47 PM
87 F-150 I6
Posting Guru
Glad you made it back in one piece. I too have noticed the cruise control freaking out when it cant get back up to speed like it wants. All my truck did was floor it, but darn did it floor it hard. What are you doing in CO? It would be cool to meet up, the truck has changed since you first saw it.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:49 PM
rivrrunner
Senior User
Doesn't the OBA take care of this? I have never had this problem and have read 30+lbs of boost many times....installed OBA w/ DPTuner????

Old 06-25-2009, 12:53 PM
03_PSD
Postmaster
OBA cured mine untill I really get on it and check engine light comes on. Me thinking my HPOP might need to be upgraded????

Old 06-25-2009, 01:21 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rivrrunner
Doesn't the OBA take care of this? I have never had this problem and have read 30+lbs of boost many times....installed OBA w/ DPTuner????
That is the point of the OBA, prevent the overboost code.
Glenn- could be, you'd need to find out what code you are setting.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lisa, how long are you hanging around Denver? I have Autoenginuity.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:35 PM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pocket
Lisa, how long are you hanging around Denver? I have Autoenginuity.
Great offer Curtis!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What I learned last night