Better Filtering system needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Better Filtering system needed

Attached are pics of my filtering setup. I had been gravity feeding through sock filters, but it was really slow. I got a threaded piece from Duda-Diesel that the sock fits over (was a bear to get all three on it). Anyway, thought that it would be faster to push the bio through, but it leaks oil up and over the fitting, so didn't go near as fast as I had hoped. I am using Magnesol to dry-wash, so I filter down to 1 micron. Does anyone have plans that they would share for a better setup? thanks.

Attached Images   
Old 06-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Knotwild
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am using Magnesol to also and I tried different ways of filtering with socks and spin on filters to save money. I finally got tired of the failures and bought a poly filter housing from Fryer to Fuel and it was worth every penny. I filter to 1 micron nominal each time I move the fuel and to 1 micron absolute when fueling the truck. Settling the fuel at least 24 hours after mixing the Magnesol is also a big help.

100XB Filter Housing at F2F Filtration Units

Old 06-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

I settle mine @ least 12 hours, and have the pump set about 3-4 inches above the bottom so it shouldn't suck up any magnesol. thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

Old 06-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Knotwild
Tuned
Trent: This is a link to a picture of my processor when I first started with it, so the filter housing is not present. PROCESSOR on Flickr - Photo Sharing! I push the fuel into the elevated stock tank where I demeth it by aeration, settle out glycerin and soap, and then gravity through socks into the tote. Then I clean the glycerin and soap out of the tank, and return the fuel to the tank for Magnesol treatment; settle for a minimum of 24 hours, gravity through socks again, and pressure to storage tote. This is a picture of my Magnesol being stirred. My magnesol never goes through a pump. Magnesol mixing pump running on 75 gallon batch. on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Each time I move the fuel it goes through the filter housing. The housing is not cheap, but it makes the process much easier for me.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Also helps if the pick-up tube doesn't slide down. Mine did, and it was sucking up Magnesol. Filter was totally plugged. Put on the other set of bag filters, made sure it didn't slide down again, and pumped out 20 gallons without a problem. I still would like a setup similar to yours, either that or use a centrifuge. thanks again for the pics!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
I thought about a centrifuge, but a good one is a little over $500. only runs 0.9 gal/hour, and you have to make two passes. I use vacum and pressure to move my fuel around. Once it the Magnesol is settled it gravities through the socks into the tote which catches any Magnesol that might be stirred up (which is very minor). When I blow it through the 1 micron absolute I am done.

I have to admit I don't mind spending a little more to make things easier, plus I hope to be making fuel long term.