Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Washable cotton type filter with Banks turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 05:43 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Washable cotton type filter with Banks turbo...

I am working on tying up loose ends with the 6.9 project. As many of you probably know, I am installing a Banks Sidewinder on this engine along with a ton of other things. The air filter system that comes with the turbo has a K&N style filter. It's my understanding that this is not a desirable way to go because this type of filter on a diesel, they still let smaller dust and dirt particles in. I was thinking about it this week, I wonder if adding a pre filter sock would help. I'm running one on my Bronco, it works really well. Or am I still better off going to a paper type filter, any thoughts? If anyone else a home brewed setup, I am open to that too; pictures?

Old 09-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As far as I can tell, everyone is correct:
1. The K&N style filter can let in dirt
2. Dirt is not good for a diesel
3. Banks designed their system with a K&N filter, so they obviously consider it good enough.

At this point, I am running a K&N knockoff filter, because at $20 per it's cheaper than the cheapest paper filter I could find with a 4" round connection.
I haven't noticed any dust issues or dust making it's way in... but I also learned the secret of these filters: They need to be soaked in oil(the K&N "recharger" system) to trap those fine particles.
K&N says not to over-oil the filter to prevent issues with MAF sensors... who cares? Oil the snot out of it and clean it once in a while. Any oil that gets sucked into the system should be burned just fine.

The only other economical option I've looked at is seeing about adapting a Ridgid vacuum cleaner paper filter - at $12 for the single layer paper filters, they are pretty good price wise. You'd just need a 6" or so to 4" adapter, and fabricate something to hold it in place - the vacuums have a plastic plug that sticks out the end of the filter and holds it in place.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:31 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Macrobb
As far as I can tell, everyone is correct:
1. The K&N style filter can let in dirt
2. Dirt is not good for a diesel
3. Banks designed their system with a K&N filter, so they obviously consider it good enough.

At this point, I am running a K&N knockoff filter, because at $20 per it's cheaper than the cheapest paper filter I could find with a 4" round connection.
I haven't noticed any dust issues or dust making it's way in... but I also learned the secret of these filters: They need to be soaked in oil(the K&N "recharger" system) to trap those fine particles.
K&N says not to over-oil the filter to prevent issues with MAF sensors... who cares? Oil the snot out of it and clean it once in a while. Any oil that gets sucked into the system should be burned just fine.

The only other economical option I've looked at is seeing about adapting a Ridgid vacuum cleaner paper filter - at $12 for the single layer paper filters, they are pretty good price wise. You'd just need a 6" or so to 4" adapter, and fabricate something to hold it in place - the vacuums have a plastic plug that sticks out the end of the filter and holds it in place.
Over oiling is something I haven't thought of, not a bad idea I suppose. No sensors to hurt on these old dogs, it is a fresh rebuild I just don't want to shorten the life of it. I don't run this truck in really dusty conditions, so it may never be an issue.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:57 AM
AlaskanWheeler
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can spend some time looking @ Donaldson air filters, and I bet you'll find what your looking for. https://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/.../cleaners.html

They may not be washable though...

Old 09-11-2016, 10:07 PM
Otto396
Senior User
I own 2 7.3L but I do know that K&N Filters work better when they're a little bit dirty. Its due to the dust on the filter helping trap more. It does restrict air a little but its the price you pay for having a re-usable filter.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Otto396
I own 2 7.3L but I do know that K&N Filters work better when they're a little bit dirty. Its due to the dust on the filter helping trap more. It does restrict air a little but its the price you pay for having a re-usable filter.
I did a little shopping around and located a pre filter sock for my air filter. I have one of those coming, we'll see what happens.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Resendiz
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Something tells me to just go with paper ones. The idea of oiling and washing a filter seems weird to me. I went back to autozone and returned the KN filter. I'd rather spent on new paper filters like the Napa 6637. Just my opinion.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:52 PM
Otto396
Senior User
I would rather have the 6637 over a K&N myself. Not a fan of washing and drying those buggers.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:15 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
the 6637 i took out of the 02 and put into the 88 had 56,000 miles on it when i swapped it to the 88. i use a riff raff filter cover on it. i actually have 3 of the covers, one on each filter and one spare. every 6 months i remove the one on the 02 and put the clean one on, then wash the dirty one and hang it to dry for future use. after 7 years and 56k miles, the filter still looked new and did not have any dirt/dust in it when i tried to blow it out.
the covers on the other hand look like hell after 6 months.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:10 PM
Otto396
Senior User
Good to know! I'm going to be swapping to one but waiting to do the work until I get my second truck up and going.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tjc transport
the 6637 i took out of the 02 and put into the 88 had 56,000 miles on it when i swapped it to the 88. i use a riff raff filter cover on it. i actually have 3 of the covers, one on each filter and one spare. every 6 months i remove the one on the 02 and put the clean one on, then wash the dirty one and hang it to dry for future use. after 7 years and 56k miles, the filter still looked new and did not have any dirt/dust in it when i tried to blow it out.
the covers on the other hand look like hell after 6 months.
I was thinking one these filter covers should help catch more dirt. I have one on the 460 in my wheeling truck, it makes a big difference. I decided to run the filter setup that came with the turbo, at least for now. I'll keep an eye on it. This truck has been down for almost a year, I really need to get it going. With the engine rebuild, turbo install, and a million other things I've been fighting with on this truck; I'm getting sick and tired of it plugging up much needed shop space. I'm going to put a 6637 filter setup on my 97 PSD, when I get the kit (getting the one from Riffraff) I might experiment with it to see how it fits the IDI.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:14 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
this is half of the setup on my idi:
Name:  turbo2.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  50.5 KB

i don't have a picture of the other half, and can't take a picture of it because my camera grew legs a few weeks ago.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:57 PM
Resendiz
Laughing Gas
My 6637 should arrive today. Been playing around with the positioning. I'm not as handy as most of you guys so I lack that confidence when building/adding something new (like welding 4" pipes or even using pvc pipes). When it gets here, if there is some balance in the universe, It will fit directly on to the intake. If its an inch too but (like the measuring tape told me), I will need to tunel it somehow. Here is my "cheat" to avoid adding anything except a 4" x 3 or 4" coupler.

What do you guys think of this positioning. Directly above the power steering.

Here im just using the old filter to give an idea of how it will be

Just using the old filter to show the positioning

I know the 6637 is 1" longer and much wider.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:27 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
i would try stretching the intake tube and see if you can get it closer to the fender between the master cylinder and battery.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:07 PM
Resendiz
Laughing Gas
Unfortunately the previous owner added a canister/reservoire there and turns out it won't fit. I just received it. It's f'n huge.

Sits too high up

Quick Reply: Washable cotton type filter with Banks turbo...