Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine

Shocks, shocks and more shocks

Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 PM
mericanwit
Junior User
mericanwit is starting off with a positive reputation.
Shocks, shocks and more shocks

Ladies & Gents
Shocks, shocks and more shocks... Yup, it's time to replace the shocks on my 04 f150 fx4x4. Now, it's stock no lift/level kit. The most off-roading is the occasional trip to the Jersey beach for some fishing and having to park it on a job site. So, I'm looking for something normal, nothing stiff and/or agressive. I saw the ad placed by the warehouse guys but have the faintest idea as to which ones to go with. As always, any/all replies are greatly appreciated.
Thx...

Old 06-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)
Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
I personally say use OEM...or Monroe

alot of guys swear by the Bilstein struts. To me, it's a truck, and a rough ride is expected...or maybe I'm just a cheapie

OEM Parts & OEM Wheels - Original Equipment Parts from NewTakeOff

they occasionally have brand new struts for sale that are OEM for about $30-40 each

Old 06-10-2009, 02:26 AM
ford-lover
Senior User
ford-lover is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have an 07 XLT and also thinking about replacing the shocks. My ex-F150 (1997) had Reflex Monreo shocks all around. The shocks were firm but not stiff. I love them for the first few years then they started to get soft. I don't mind to use the Reflex again in my new F150.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:49 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
svt2205 has a good reputation on FTE.svt2205 has a good reputation on FTE.svt2205 has a good reputation on FTE.
Sounds like you could visit your local repair shop and have them just change them out with an OE replacement or visit NAPA and do the job yourself. Even those will feel firm compared to your stock shocks/struts.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:17 PM
mericanwit
Junior User
mericanwit is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thx for the input. Looks like OEM for me it is...

Old 06-12-2009, 07:39 PM
dfishrmn88
Senior User
dfishrmn88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ford-lover View Post
I have an 07 XLT and also thinking about replacing the shocks. My ex-F150 (1997) had Reflex Monreo shocks all around. The shocks were firm but not stiff. I love them for the first few years then they started to get soft. I don't mind to use the Reflex again in my new F150.
I just put Monroe Reflexes on my truck and am very happy. As far as them getting soft, they have a lifetime warranty. If the fail they will replace them.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:33 PM
sjwelds
Elder User
sjwelds is starting off with a positive reputation.
how often should a guy change shocks/struts?

Old 06-14-2009, 12:10 AM
ford-lover
Senior User
ford-lover is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't think there is a fixed schedule to change the shocks. However, they do get soft SLOWLY and my butt get use to that easily. Some people say to bounce the truck body and count the number of spring back. I find that it is unreliable. My habit is to change the OEM out around 3-4 years. My last set of Monreo Reflex lasted about 7 years and stayed with the old truck when traded in for the new one.

As for Monreo's life time warranty, I think it only covers material failure such as seal damages, leak oils, broken shaft etc. I don't know they will cover it if you say they are getting soft. May be some one works in Auto parts can verify this.

The above opinions are just my 2 cents.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:14 PM
GwarForAll1021
Elder User
GwarForAll1021 is starting off with a positive reputation.
im going to buy a set of the new fox race shox cuz its the closest i will ever come to my dream of a SVT raptor

but if i was going to get anything else i would go KYB

i use them on my race cars my race bikes and all my old trucks including all 3 of my 90's trucks and my 250 work truck.
there cheap and work good.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)
Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by ford-lover View Post
Some people say to bounce the truck body and count the number of spring back. I find that it is unreliable. My habit is to change the OEM out around 3-4 years.
I do the method above. Good shocks should stop the bounce by the 2nd bounce.

bad or oldish shocks let the truck wallow more and you'll get more bounces

Old 06-15-2009, 08:11 AM
headshox
New User
headshox is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by GwarForAll1021 View Post
im going to buy a set of the new fox race shox cuz its the closest i will ever come to my dream of a SVT raptor
I love that truck.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Beechkid
Beechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud of
Shock Recommendations IMHO:

1) Koni- Excellent for racing applications- overpriced for street applications
2) Tokico & Bilstein- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running very stiff tires on the street (such as Bridgstone that are 100% steel belted or tires with profiles shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra give that you need for both comfort & stability
3) KYB- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running a softer tires on the street (such as BFG that are a mix of steel & nylon belted or tires with profiles not shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra stiffness that you need for both comfort & stability. The GR-2’s are the equivalent to the Edelbrock IAS automatic adjusting units. Overall, stiffness between the Gas-a-just and the GR2’s are the same, the difference is the GR-2's valving which stiffens things up from a oem setting to that of the Gas-a-just units.. Best shock for the $/best price typically found at Performance Suspension Technologies (PST) and typically about 1/3 less than Bilstein.
4) Gabriel- A very nice good quality HD OEM replacement type unit.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.
For the money, it's hard to beat the Monroes. Rancho adjustables are ok, but a bit too pricey for me. I usually change shocks out at 50-60,000 miles or when they don't perform like new any more.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:40 AM
SatinBlack03
Senior User
SatinBlack03 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Was just looking for what other guys with the same heavy front end were doing with their shocks? I don't see a problem with asking, I went with Bilsteins and they are a huge imlroimprov over Napa fleet. Truck is 03

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.