1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Vin decode please

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:02 PM
trucker101
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Vin decode please

Can anyone decode a vin for me please.It is a
1985 E350 vin #
1FDKE30L4FHC20401... I did do the vin decode on this site but I was hoping to get a little more information, such as what if any options were installed, gear ratio, repair history,
Thanks

Last edited by trucker101; 05-25-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: speellin
Old 05-26-2009, 10:16 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
None of that stuff is actually encoded in the VIN. You would have to get a build sheet for that vehicle to know all that, which you're probably looking at having to pay for, unless you have a friend at a Ford dealership. That's if it's even on a computerized record somewhere--I don't know how far back that stuff goes.

However, the door jamb sticker will have an axle code on it from which you can get the original gear ratio once you look it up here: Ford Axle Code Chart .: Articles

Jason

Old 05-26-2009, 10:46 AM
abn
Junior User
I don't know if they still do it but you can call or email Ford via ownerconnection.com and ask for a "999" report...You supply them with your vin. and vehicle data and a mailing adress and within three or four weeks they'll send you the original build data for your vehicle.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 AM
trucker101
Freshman User
Originally Posted by abn
I don't know if they still do it but you can call or email Ford via ownerconnection.com and ask for a "999" report...You supply them with your vin. and vehicle data and a mailing address and within three or four weeks they'll send you the original build data for your vehicle.
Originally Posted by jroehl
None of that stuff is actually encoded in the VIN. You would have to get a build sheet for that vehicle to know all that, which you're probably looking at having to pay for, unless you have a friend at a Ford dealership. That's if it's even on a computerized record somewhere--I don't know how far back that stuff goes.

However, the door jamb sticker will have an axle code on it from which you can get the original gear ratio once you look it up here: Ford Axle Code Chart .: Articles
Jason
Okay,thanks for the reply.
I was able to do this on a Chev forum for my Chev pickup. I got all the info I mentioned plus more. Now, maybe the person that did that for me worked at Chev & had access to the computer records?

Old 05-30-2009, 11:01 PM
GABayne
New User
Hey trucker, I used to work for Ford a couple of years ago, and the new thing they call this info is the HVBOM, or Historical Vehicle Bill of Materials, which gives all of the options that were installed. They started this info for vehicles in earnest only recently in about 2003.

Ford maintained an older database with partial info before that, but dealers and even us a PS&L only had this information for vehicles up to ten years old. I just recently purchased a 1993 E350 15 passenger and wanted some build specs, and the dealership couldn't give me anything on mine either.

Other than the base info of the VIN, and some codes in the door jamb (if the sticker is even legible,) you might be out of luck. I hadn't heard of getting info for the ownerconnection site, but hopefully they can help.

Mostly just to avoid getting an irate parts guy at the dealership. Unless you have a buddy at one, lots (but definitely not all) of the counter guys know you aren't buying parts from them (because Ford typically obsoletes parts 7 years after the last production date) and don't want to waste their time on you.

Just my two cents. Good luck though.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:45 AM
trucker101
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GABayne
{Cut & Snip}
Other than the base info of the VIN, and some codes in the door jamb (if the sticker is even legible,) you might be out of luck. I hadn't heard of getting info for the ownerconnection site, but hopefully they can help.

Mostly just to avoid getting an irate parts guy at the dealership. Unless you have a buddy at one, lots (but definitely not all) of the counter guys know you aren't buying parts from them (because Ford typically obsoletes parts 7 years after the last production date) and don't want to waste their time on you.
Thanks for the info.
What is the
ownerconnection site ?

Old 05-31-2009, 12:19 PM
GABayne
New User
I was referring to the Ford offers services for owners of Ford cars and trucks such as vehicle maintenance, genuine parts and accessories, Ford Life, and customer support. - Ford site that abn spoke of a couple of posts back. I had never used it, and the info that I was looking for on my van was more gee-whiz info than something to fix it, so I haven't tried there yet.

And just to state again before a parts guy gets up in this post and starts something, I know that they are all working hard and just like everywhere else are doing more work with less people, pay, and appreciation. I just know that if given the option of running info on a 25 year old van, or getting parts for a new car in the shop that is going to put food on my table, I'll take the second option first and work the info job second.

Both myself and my wife are currently laid of from automotive jobs, so I understand how tough everything is right now, and don't want to start any fires like that on this board (or anywhere else. I'm pretty laid back. I just wanted you to understand that if you ask, the counter guy might sigh because no matter how hard he/she tries, the info isn't there to give you, and some customers can't take no for an answer no matter how you explain it to them.)

Again, just my two cents from the Flint, Michigan area, where everyone knows someone who is suffering because of all this automotive industry crap going on right now.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Hotolus
New User
can anybody help me?
Hi, I'm Viktor from Budapest, Hungary, Europe. I found today an early seventies econoline in our country, and maybe I will buy it. but first I have to make a calculation, and search for parts.
Only the numbers on the drivers door are known, and a VIN code.
Can anybody decode this plate?
The following numbers are on this plate:

E33GH582399
123 MW E334 34 G71
06800 48

thank You in advance