1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

One bad day.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Luddle
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down One bad day.

As it turns out, I will be re-restoring my fridge.

Some jackass tried to merge into the left lane after he got onto the highway. Well I was cruising in that left lane on my way southbound. This little hatchback Japanese POS for some reason did not see my large white truck to his left and attempted to fly into the left lane. I slam onto the brakes in order to avoid him and try to get into the median to avoid getting rearended and my tires dug into the fresh mud which whipped the wheel to the left. Long story short, I made a 180* spin and tipped the truck onto the passenger side.

My girlfriend who happened to be riding in the middle and I were spared from any harm because we were nice and snug in the lap belts, so thank god for that. As for the truck, nothing a good day of hammering and fresh paint can't fix. But still a sonofabitch day. The hatchback took off and I never saw it, lucky for us, quite a few people stopped to help. And after the reports were taken and such, the officer asked if i wanted it tipped back on the wheels. I told him yes, so he, myself, and 3 other officers pushed it over to which one said "Wow, they sure don't make them like they used to!"

I will post some pictures of the damage later, just thought I would share some of my metaphorical pain with you

Old 05-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
oh that sucks! Glad you're both ok though! Glad she was strapped in the middle seat too, could have hurt bad to be on the window side

Don't worry, it will come back and bit that guy in the *** some day

Old 05-24-2009, 08:40 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,121 Likes on 821 Posts
That's b*tch! You're the second guy this early in the season who has suffered damage by the hands of some jerk. Glad to hear everyone is OK. I don't have as much fate in justice as Stephen, the rice burner has probably done it many times before and will do it again. I encounter these type of drivers all of the time when driving my old trucks. At least with my old trucks the other drivers seem to think I'm going slow because I'm in an old truck and they can pull out in front of me. They don't seem to realize I have twice as much iron in my front bumper as they have in their whole car. Maybe I'm more conscious of it when I'm driving my old trucks but it doesn't seem to happen as much as when I'm driving my daily driver.

Again, the most important thing is you and your girl were able to get out on your own, that in itself should take some of the sting out of it.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Luddle
Junior User
Oh, im grateful we're ok. But as the officer and many others have told me now; next time someone does that, hit them. then they're liable.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:36 PM
pintoches
Postmaster
Glad your ok. I would like to find one of these old truck. To think there could of been one less.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Luddle
Junior User

Nothing some intensive hamering can't fix. Oh, and some new paint. Im thinkin' candy apple red or fire-engine red.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:25 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
oh baby....

Sam

(red cars have the highest number of accidents)..

Old 05-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,140 Posts
While I`m glad to hear the you both were spared from any harm I`m sorry you had to suffer this needless damage because of that mindless driver.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:58 PM
AK Fifty-Three
Senior User
Sorry to hear about the accident but glad you and your girl are ok. Think positive -- you won't have to worry about shopping cart damage in parking lots for awhile! Fire engine red with five spoke mags.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Luddle
Junior User
Lucky for me, my insurance covers it under "Uninsured motorist: property damage." The adjuster came today and estimated about $3600 in damage. But what's the fun in taking it to a body shop? Quite frankly that looks to be a grand in damage, if that. But I won't be complaining when I get the check.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:26 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,121 Likes on 821 Posts
To my untrained eye it looks to be a lot more than $1000, paint work could easily that.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Glockem45
Elder User
Thumbs up

Well I am glad to hear that you and the GF are safe and ok. I bet both of you had to change your shorts after that doozy.

Stories like this just prove a point I have made to my local friends that when someone cuts you off or a deer jumps out in front of you should never ever swerve to avoid it b/c you almost always lose control and end up wrecking. Neither the deer nor the guy that drove off who originally caused the situation can provide you with insurance to pay for the damages that they caused. I do my best to avoid the idiots here in the NOVA area, but one of these days I am going to drive straight through one of these bastids that cut me off in one of my old trucks.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Luddle
Junior User
Believe me,I've learned my lesson. The next time someone does that I too am going to drive right through them. As for my 1000 comment, yeah the paint is going to be $2000, but that's totally repainting it. I have become really good friends with the paint shop up the highway from me so he's going to help me with the blocking and he'll spray it and buff it.

I've already started beating the panels back into shape. The rubber mallet is my friend now. Reminds me of that "Christine" movie when the car pops all the dents out.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Great to see your getting on it and hopefully it all works out for you.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:08 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that why i love my 64 f250 4x4 with home made flatbed and heavy winch front bumber and panels all dented up from long before my time. i dont even touch the brakes for deer and i if i did wreck it flip it back on its wheels and go on about my buisness. and well my 59 is still in peices scattered over four different locations.

Quick Reply: One bad day.