1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning Exhaust Filter...how often?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Pegleg1941
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Exhaust Filter...how often?

Is there a "normal" interval for this message to appear? What is happening while this is displayed? Can't find anything in manual. 2008 F-250 6.4L, 4x4.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:04 AM
SneakyF350
Mountain Pass
Cool

It is using diesel to burn off the filter cake. You will notice your fuel economy will drop about 2/10 mpg when it finishes. Mine runs every other time I drive the truck it seems. I hate it. I average 12.5 mpg between burn cycles. This is the worst engine Ford ever built.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:52 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Doesn't seem to be a normal interval for the cleaning to take place. Seems to happen more often when driven in stop and go city driving than on the open road. It does take a little extra fuel to burn the filter clean. The cleaning time should last around 20 miles to complete. Oh yea, it usually has poor timing when it does go into the cleaning stage. Seems to like to do it just about the time I get home and ready to pull it into garage. One thing you don't want to do if you can help it, is to turn off the engine before the cleaning cycle has completed.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:05 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
And, the 6.4 is not the worst engine Ford has ever come out with. It is however the first diesel that Ford has come out with to meet the current/future tough EPA demands.
So let's not blame Ford for the relatively small number of problems that have shown up. In the over-all vast number of 6.4 PSDs on the road, and given the total number of problems, it is a very small percentage of units effected.
There also is the internet which allows that small percentage of less than 100% pleased owners/want a be owners/ and owners of the compation/and gas powered trucks a venue to complain and blow little things into a much larger situation than the truth.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:35 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
regens do vary with too many conditions to list, driving habits loaded/unloaded city vs hwy towing/no towing.

So to pin down a solid # of miles one cannot do. User results will vary. I do 400-600 miles, when towing maybe every 250 miles or so. It is not Ford's fault for sure. Blame it on the EPA and the tree huggers who think it is good for the enviroment to use more fossil fuels by trapping the soot for later burn off's.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:46 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by senix
It is not Ford's fault for sure. Blame it on the EPA and the tree huggers who think it is good for the enviroment to use more fossil fuels by trapping the soot for later burn off's.
They should take a few of those tree huggers and have them stand next to the exhaust pipe during a regen cycle.....that is one nasty smell as it burns off the filter crap.
Next someone needs to ask the EPA, why in a time where we are trying to ease the our dependence of fuel imports, they inpose regulatons that hurts benifits and the economy of the diesel engine.
Keep in mind that our country depends on commercial trucking to deliver supplies all across our country. And 99% of these trucks are diesel powered. And, all of the new over the road tractors that are diesel powered are also required to meet the new EPA restrictions. Guess it all goes back to the old saying "If the opposite of Pro is Con...does that mean that the opposite of Progress is Congress?"

Old 05-16-2009, 09:51 PM
dmd
Tuned
This is one reason I will keep my 7.3 for a very long time...

You can also remove the filter and get a programmer to turn off the regen. Make
sure it is legal in your area... You will gain several MPG.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 AM
cp101
Freshman User
" . . . .You can also remove the filter and get a programmer to turn off the regen. Make sure it is legal in your area... "

Can anyone offer some details on (1) how to remove the filter (or where t get it done), and (2) how to find out what's legal where?

I live in the northeast, but my truck's registered in Florida (where there is no emission testing).

Thank you.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:12 AM
Mountain Electrician
New User
I have an 08 Super Duty with the 6.4. The other day, the regen cycle went on for about a day and a half. It came out of it, but I'm curious if anyone has run across this before?

Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 AM
cp101
Freshman User
Did the regen ever fully complete during any of the times you had the truck running during that period? (of course it full completed at the end of the day and a half period).

The reason I ask is if you don't keep the truck running until the regen completes its cycle, it just starts another regen cycle the next thime you start the engine. Around-town driving makes the situation even worse because it takes longer to complete the regen.

I am only speaking from experience with my own 2008 6.4L. Other folks may have different experiences.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:22 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by cp101
Did the regen ever fully complete during any of the times you had the truck running during that period? (of course it full completed at the end of the day and a half period).

The reason I ask is if you don't keep the truck running until the regen completes its cycle, it just starts another regen cycle the next thime you start the engine. Around-town driving makes the situation even worse because it takes longer to complete the regen.

I am only speaking from experience with my own 2008 6.4L. Other folks may have different experiences.
That is what I would suspect as well. Get it out on the road and open it up and get it done.

Note that all that in town driving will also cause fuel in the oil. better check that out too.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 AM
cp101
Freshman User
Senix,

Can you tell me more about the "fuel in the oil" problem caused by in-town driving. I do a lot of in-town driving and I keep my RPM's very low (under 1500 - it saves me a ton of fuel). Have I now screwed my engine?

Thanks.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:15 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My regen happens about every 150 miles..

fuel in the oil..

to make regen work, the system goes into running very rich, some fuel then passes thru to the exhaust. If that is true, then some will leak past the rings into the oil. (as I understand it).

Sam

Old 11-06-2009, 08:36 AM
cp101
Freshman User
I so wish that I had bought a used '06 instead of this new '08. This regen BS is ruining my life (and my finances).

Old 11-06-2009, 08:53 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Yes in order to regenerate the DPF there is an additional injection of fuel on the exhaust stroke that goes into the exhaust.

This causes the exhaust to super-heat the DPF and burn the soot.

Unforunately this technology does not work well with low speed or in city driving. This low speed or in city driving only prolongs the event.

It also tends to wash the cylinders with fuel I think because there is not enough of a force from the exhaust gases to get it where it really needs to go.

So do monitor your oil. I would tell you to check your oil weekly anyway as a pm item.

I use my B trip meter to monitor my in between regens so I have an idea on when I will do one for myself. Might help you some too.

Seems to me that what I would do is get it on the highway once a week and run it hard. that may help the most.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Exhaust Filter...how often?