Sponsored by: Moser

73 Ford Windshield Moulding Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:50 AM
jimmyjack
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 73 Ford Windshield Moulding Installation

I installed a new winshield rubber moulding from Macs. However,I can't get the chrome moulding back into the rubber. Does anyone know the trick to installing the chrome winshield moulding back into the slots in the rubber windshield seal?

Old 05-09-2009, 11:51 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Are you sure you bought the correct rubber seal? 73 to 76 is different than 77 to 79, the 73-76 seal accepts the wide steel chrome trim, the 77-79 seal accepts the narrow plastic chrome trim.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've heard other people on here say that it is nearly impossible to get the trim in the slot after you install the seal, and that it needs to be installed beforehand.

I'm sure it can be done, but I'm not sure how you would do it without damaging the seal itself.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:14 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bowtie_Schmowtie
I've heard other people on here say that it is nearly impossible to get the trim in the slot after you install the seal, and that it needs to be installed beforehand.

I'm sure it can be done, but I'm not sure how you would do it without damaging the seal itself.
Never seen it done that way but i suppose it's possible, with the correct seal and trim you shouldn't have to "fight" it.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:38 PM
frigerator
Elder User
When I used to put in windshields along time ago I used a tool. It was shaped like a screw driver but the end looked like the end of a sewing needle. You put the end of the trim a little bit in the end of it and stick both of them in the rubber gasket. As you pull the tool along the groove in the gasket it spreds the rubber and puts in the trim at the same time. I would think that you could still buy that tool. Drive down to a glass shop and have them put it in, shouldn't cost but a couple of bucks.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:44 PM
jimmyjack
New User
Thank you, I have done windshields with a rubber gaskets but not with this type of moulding setup. I tried a glass shop a nmber of months ago and they were not interested in installing a new gasket. I purchased the gasket from Mac Auto Parts and managed to get the winshield and rubber in. I also finally, also managed to get 1/2 of the moulding back in today but, having a lot of trouble getting the passenger upper moulding in. Thanks for your reply!!

Old 05-09-2009, 09:49 PM
jimmyjack
New User
I got half the moulding back in today but not the passenger side. I will keep plugging at it. Thank you for your info.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:07 PM
jimmyjack
New User
Yes, the seal is the proper one. It is the same as the original. I also am installing the original moulding back in. (wide chrome) I know everything on the truck as I bought the truck new. Denis Carpenter makes the seals which even have the original Ford part numbers.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 AM
mamabear62
New User
I am getting ready to start the same project. I am looking for any advise possible before I get started. Did you get the trim in? I have heard from other people that it is extrememly difficult to get the trim back in. What is the best way to start?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:28 PM
73 fourxfour
Tuned
If you can't find a tool or shop interested in installing it for you, try pouring some dish soap in the channel to lubricate it. Soap won't harm the seal or make it swell. It will be really slick, then it will dry up and wash away with water. I use it at work to install new gaskets in medical sterilizers.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Witty73
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The correct way to install them is to put the ss strips into the moulding and then install that over the windshield. Have somebody help you set it in place with the bottom of windshield in place on the cab. There is a windshield tool that like an odd shaped hook. you can easily make one out of an old screwdriver. simply work your way up the sides and across the top of the cab, "hooking" the new weatherstrip into place. Here is a link to the tool to give you an idea how what they look like.

Windshield Tools Used By Professionals Worldwide

Old 06-13-2009, 12:29 AM
jimmyjack
New User
You are probably very correct about installing the mouldings in the rubber first. But I had installed the rubber on the glass and put it in without installing the mouldings. Bad mistake! But, after a long time and a lot of dish soap and much patients. I finally got the mouldings in. I hope that I never have to fool around with it again ever! I did make note of the tool you linked me to and thank you. I have one of those tools somewhere as I had used it years ago to remove oil filter gaskets out of the early chevy v-8's.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:40 AM
jimmyjack
New User
You may have already made the mistake I made by installing the runner on the glass and installing the windshield? I had a friend help me getting the rubber onto the glass which was tough enough as it will not stay put! If you moved anything the rubber would drop off. I duck taped the rubber to the glass which helped a little but, it is not an easy project! It takes sever extra hands and a lot of patients! Now I know why a glass installer hates these types of rubber/ with moulding deals to install! I also found the cord in the rubber moulding trick didn't work at all as it would not pull the rubber into the opening as it seems to on normal rubber gasketed windshields. If you can find a shop that will install it for you it will be money very well spent! I couldn't find a willing shop in my area.