2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust opinions....

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Hummah Zach
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust opinions....

I have a question that has been asked billions of times before, probably as often as "how do I reset my keypad" ..... but I gotta do it

Which exhaust is best for my truck?

I'll try to make this easier for you:

I have an 04 crew cab short bed with the 5.4L

I know that any exhaust will give a small(er) performance gain and help (or at least not hurt) fuel economy

what I want is pretty much what you can expect from an aftermarket exhaust, performance, maybe fuel economy (but not 1st priority anyway), and badass sound and looks

I have narrowed down my options and want to keep the price down so here is what I am thinking.

I love the Roush Offroad exhaust (dual, rear exit) its loud, well-made and good-lookin but it costs around $500
-OR-
I could take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld up a custom job with a flowmaster muffler (super 44?) and have it done for around $200+
-OR-
What do you all think of the diesel exhaust systems on a 5.4L? I'm talking about the MBRP single-side catback or Banks Monster exhaust... I like the look of a side exit (with a big tip) and the MBRP is less expensive $2-300
But what are those exhausts like on a gasser? excessively loud? too quiet?

I need opinions and more info, is it worth buying an expensive system? (like Roush) or will a less expensive option (exhaust shop) get the same results for less money?

How is the MBRP?

any help appreciated (videos/sound clips help more ) THANK YOU!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Magnaflow or nothing for me personally

but have you considered just buying the name brand muffler, and then getting it all custom welded at a local shop? that way you get the tone you are after, but at about 1/2 the price.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Hummah Zach
Senior User
Originally Posted by tylus
Magnaflow or nothing for me personally

but have you considered just buying the name brand muffler, and then getting it all custom welded at a local shop? that way you get the tone you are after, but at about 1/2 the price.
That was one of my options I was considering, and Im thinking thats the best... I think I would go with flowmaster for the muffler though. Theyre simple, inexpensive and perform very well.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Supercrewzin01
Senior User
Personally I would go with a true dual setup with an x-pipe before 2) magnaflow single in/single out mufflers. I have had flowmasters before and received no performance gain at all with them. I had the exact setup that I listed above on my 2001 and it made it in to a totally different truck.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Hummah Zach
Senior User
Originally Posted by Supercrewzin01
Personally I would go with a true dual setup with an x-pipe before 2) magnaflow single in/single out mufflers. I have had flowmasters before and received no performance gain at all with them. I had the exact setup that I listed above on my 2001 and it made it in to a totally different truck.
How much did that setup cost you?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:13 PM
442w30
Senior User
I x2 with Tylus, Also understand that increasing the diameter of the exhaust can have a impact on low end torque. A gas engine needs a certain amount of backpressure to provide adequate power and torque at low rpms. To install a 4, 5 or 6 inch exhaust from a diesel on your gasser would more than likely be a waste of money and a loss of performance. IMHO

Old 05-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Supercrewzin01
Senior User
I want to say 400.00 - 500.00, I think it took them about an hour or two to install. They made the x-pipe in house along with all the bending. Very nice system in my opinion.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Hummah Zach
Senior User
Originally Posted by 442w30
I x2 with Tylus, Also understand that increasing the diameter of the exhaust can have a impact on low end torque. A gas engine needs a certain amount of backpressure to provide adequate power and torque at low rpms. To install a 4, 5 or 6 inch exhaust from a diesel on your gasser would more than likely be a waste of money and a loss of performance. IMHO
good point, does anyone have the Roush offroad exhaust?

Old 05-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
not alot of people have the Roush Offroad. It's simply too damn expensive.

The most I've ever paid for a custom job was $400. That was for a completly new exhaust from the cats out the back with 2 pipes, muffler, SS tips

are you after just noise?
buy a Cherry bomb muffler with 2.5" inlet/outlets, and a 90 degree chunk.

remove the OEM muffler and tailpipe

install Cherry Bomb onto the pipe and put a 90 degree part on pointing down...cost you about $50, and you can do it in your driveway...and it will be loud. Best part is, if it isn't to your liking, you can go back to OEM without any problems

Old 05-06-2009, 04:29 AM
James_24_85
Senior User
A diesel exhaust on a gas truck would not be that loud. I have the flowmaster american thunder cat back on my 4.6 3 inch single inlet to 2.5 inch duals the kit cam with the pipes to either have it 45 behind your tires or go out the back like I did. Mine is louder than my neighbors 5.4 that has no muffler just a y pipe to 2.5's behind his tires. I love my set up I am planning on getting high flow cats in the future but I love it loud.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:18 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercrewzin01
is there a big difference between and x pipe and an h pipe when running true duals? and what do you mean about it being a completely different truck? i am thinking about running a similar set up on my fx4

Old 05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
rcaddell
Junior User
I have the Roush off-road and was surprised how relatively quiet the sound is. It is not as loud as one would expect being ff-road. Has a nice sound to it and very well made. I bought it used from a guy on F150online for 200 bucks or so. Had I not found that deal, I was just going to have a magnaflow installed in the stock setup. I have an 08 so the stock sound was pretty good anyway.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Hummah Zach
Senior User
Originally Posted by tylus
not alot of people have the Roush Offroad. It's simply too damn expensive.

The most I've ever paid for a custom job was $400. That was for a completly new exhaust from the cats out the back with 2 pipes, muffler, SS tips

are you after just noise?
buy a Cherry bomb muffler with 2.5" inlet/outlets, and a 90 degree chunk.

remove the OEM muffler and tailpipe

install Cherry Bomb onto the pipe and put a 90 degree part on pointing down...cost you about $50, and you can do it in your driveway...and it will be loud. Best part is, if it isn't to your liking, you can go back to OEM without any problems
I thought about a cherry bomb... but I dont just want noise, Id like to have dual rear-exit tips as well. At this point I'm pretty sure I am going to end up taking to an exhaust shop and having a custom job done. Like Supercrewzin01 described

Originally Posted by rcaddell
I have the Roush off-road and was surprised how relatively quiet the sound is. It is not as loud as one would expect being ff-road. Has a nice sound to it and very well made. I bought it used from a guy on F150online for 200 bucks or so. Had I not found that deal, I was just going to have a magnaflow installed in the stock setup. I have an 08 so the stock sound was pretty good anyway.
Good to know, but at $500 I think I would only get one of them if I found it used like you did

Old 05-13-2009, 01:26 PM
fireman28
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the MBRP SI/SO and I love it. I love the looks and the sound. It have a very nice throaty sound outside and is not annoying in the cab. This is my second truck to put one on. The first was my 07 F350 Diesel. If I were going to buy another aftermarket exhaust for my next truck, I would choose them again.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:12 PM
ALJR
Junior User
Duno if this is an option for ya. But I have seen may of the Saleen duel exhaust system on ebay recently for very short money ($200-250). I belive the exhaust system is made be Edlebrock (spelling??) and it exits out both sides in front of the rear tire...

Quick Reply: Exhaust opinions....