1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Diagnosis please

Old 05-03-2009, 09:20 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Diagnosis please

I was trying to get the '48 panel to run for the summer today and I have problem I think I might know the answer but I thought I'd run it pass the board and see what you guys, and gals, think.

First, the truck is a stock flattie V8 with 6 volt system.

I ran it all last summer without a problem but at the very end of the season the charging system quickly stopped working. I figured it was the regulator but I didn't have time to play around with it to find the problem.

Yesterday I charged the battery, today I changed the regulator with another used one I had sitting on the parts shelf. The new used regulator looks good with no burned contacts. Same thing, no charge. I pulled the positive ground cable off while the truck was running and it kept running without a hiccup so I am assuming the generator is generating. Reattached the ground, turned on the headlights they lit up nice and bright but started to flicker. Pulled the cover off the regular, played with the contacts but didn't see any change. A minute or two later noticed the needle on the ampmeter started showing a charge and the headlights were steady bright. Turned off the headlights and revved the engine to see what the ampmeter would do, showed a charge. Here's where it gets a little strange. I turned on the headlights again and this time the truck died. I tried to start it, cranked over pretty good for about 5-10 seconds, seems like it didn't have any spark, and then battery died completely. I left it sit with the intentions of later pushing it back into the garage to for the night. I came back about 30 minutes later and the truck fired right up, no problem at all but this time there was again no indication of a charge. Turned it off and it fired right back up so, the ampmeter again showed a charge so I decided to take it down the road for a little test run. I got about a block down the road and it just died, nothing. It was like some one turned of the ignition switch. I ended up having my wife and kids help me push it back home. Luckily we're the only house on ¼ mile dead end country road and don't have any neighbor to watch this.

My guess is a bad battery, not the regulator. If the battery had a bad cell this could happen, couldn't it? Also, if the battery is bad it wouldn't take a charge and it would show this on the ampmeter, correct? The battery cables are clean and tight.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:06 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 603 Likes on 375 Posts
My first thought would be a bad ground. When batteries go, they generally don't heal themselves.

Second thought is a generator brush that is marginal length or oily.

It could be more than one problem...

Old 05-03-2009, 10:24 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you repolerize that changed out regulator?
Good tight contacts and the batt cables
proper liquid levels in the batt.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:25 PM
eshaver
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang 6 volt ignitions !

I have to agree with the other guy . I think you have a bad ground regardless of using a 12 volt as I broke down a block away from my house in traffic in 120 degree heat in Dallas Texas . Good luck tracing it out too. Oh by the way I have a 53 Panel Delivery and it runs a Mercury Flathead . Ed Shaver

Old 05-03-2009, 11:40 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
My first thought would be a bad ground. When batteries go, they generally don't heal themselves.

Second thought is a generator brush that is marginal length or oily.

It could be more than one problem...
That's what I'm afraid of, chasing multiple problems are always a PIA.

Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Did you repolerize that changed out regulator?
Good tight contacts and the batt cables
proper liquid levels in the batt.
I did repolarize the regulator. I'll have to check the water level in the battery, didn't even think of that. Most times it seems the simple things are the ones overlooked.

I'll also recheck the grounds. Even if the ground between the engine and the battery looks good there could be some corrosion between the cable and the block. I'll also check the ground at the generator and the regulator.

Thanks, guys.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Sounds like something is shorting out to me. I don't have a thought as to wht, but electrical things don't fix themself, unless the circuit exists, then doesn't.

My 2 cents....

Old 05-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
My cyber space guess………… wiring to the ignition switch or the ignition switch.
Next time it stops (it will) see if juice is coming out of ign switch to the coil?

Old 05-04-2009, 12:51 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Really need to invest ~ 20.00 and the 1/2 hr or so to learn how to use a basic Volt-ohm meter. It's the best way to "see" what is going on with any electrical problems. 10 minutes of testing with one would tell you exactly where the problem is. I suspect the regulator is the culprit or a sticking circuit breaker.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:52 AM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Charge your battery while examining other possibilities, and see that none of the 3 cells are bubbling after several minutes of charging, (bad cell) or have it load tested. A battery with a failing cell will do strange things, especially one with only 6 V to begin with.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by AXracer
Really need to invest ~ 20.00 and the 1/2 hr or so to learn how to use a basic Volt-ohm meter. It's the best way to "see" what is going on with any electrical problems. 10 minutes of testing with one would tell you exactly where the problem is. I suspect the regulator is the culprit or a sticking circuit breaker.
AX the funny thing is I run my own electrical control shop and have the tester, one a little nicer than a $20 unit. I just didn't have it with me yesterday. I have previously checked the generator and got 7-8 volts coming out of it so I'm reasonably certain the generator it good.

Industrial controls are sometimes easier to work on than these simple trucks. There are so many gremlins in these trucks from anything as simple as a dirty ground(s) that look good to bad components which also don't show any outward signs of failure. I just thought I'd throw it out there and see what what suggestions I'd get back as to what I should look into.

I never thought about looking into the circuit breaker, I'll have to crawl under the dash and see what's going on there.

Originally Posted by raerjim
Charge your battery while examining other possibilities, and see that none of the 3 cells are bubbling after several minutes of charging, (bad cell) or have it load tested. A battery with a failing cell will do strange things, especially one with only 6 V to begin with.
That's what I thought. I seem to go through batteries in my trucks. They don't seem to last as long as the 12 volt batteries in my daily drivers. I get maybe 3-4 years out of some of them although I've had a couple that actually lasted 4-5 years. I have had 12 volt batteries last for up to 8 years and only got rid of them because I knew they were going to fail some time. I think the reason the 6 volt batteries don't last is because of the seasonal use. Once I park the trucks for the winter I get involved with other things and don't think much about them until spring when I get them out of storage.

I'm bring home the tester tonight and start going through the entire system.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:04 AM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Bob, I was just thinking..you and a few others on this forum who maintain" fleets " , may benefit from the 'Battery Tender', I know you must have heard of them. I thought one might just be the ticket for someone in your situation. You gather up all the batteries in the fall, and 'daisy-chain' them thru the tender till spring .

Old 05-04-2009, 10:12 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Mertz,

That's a good idea. I've heard of the Battery Tender. I store my trucks in a pole building in the back of the farm that has no electricity but I could take the batteries out and bring them to my shop. Thanks, that could solve one problem.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Rich55
Senior User
I'm running a 12v system in my "55 and the same thing just happend, not charging, the engine would just shut shut down for no apparent reason with no power to the points.
what I found was a bad ground cable, the contacks were good but a bad cable [battery to frame ] if that helps at all
good luck
RICH

Old 05-04-2009, 12:19 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Corrosion builds up when a vehicle sits for an extended period (battery terminals, ground straps, etc) when there is not use to keep them clean. Battery life is also deteriorated when subjected to freeze-thaw cycles when partially charged or discharged. Remove battery from vehicle and put in area that stays above freezing. Put on a wooden board if sitting on a cement floor. Fully charge before storing. A battery tender is a very good idea, I use one on the battery in my trailer. Only charges if when battery falls below certain voltage. Might be hard to find for a 6V battery tho.
AFA testing, pull a battery cable and put ammeter in series. Even a small (ma) current indicates a short or defective part. Keep checking down line until you find the draw.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:50 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Just want to let everyone know I really appreciate the input. I don't know if I'll get a chance to work on it tonight because of family stuff but I'll be following all of your suggestions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diagnosis please