Sponsored by:

Door lock problem on my 04'.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:33 PM
TYZ78F150
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door lock problem on my 04'.

I searched but I don't think my problem is the same as the rest. Just today the door locks stopped working with the buttons on the drivers door and pass. door. The locks still work just fine with the remote and the number pad on the outside of the drivers door. The wife said while she was driving it, the locks kept making the noise like they were locking/unlocking by themselves but not trying to move up and down. Any ideas?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:36 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the way ford wires up the door locks, that if one switch fails, it takes out all of the switches. If you have some donor switches, you could try swapping them until you get them working again.

If the keyless and keypad can lock the doors, then the actuators are good and it's probably the switch.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:22 AM
TYZ78F150
Elder User
Originally Posted by ReAX
I believe the way ford wires up the door locks, that if one switch fails, it takes out all of the switches. If you have some donor switches, you could try swapping them until you get them working again.

If the keyless and keypad can lock the doors, then the actuators are good and it's probably the switch.
OK,
I noticed that when I press lock, there is a small delay and then it attemps to do something. Unlock doesn't do anything. Do I need to replace both switches if that is the case?

Old 05-04-2009, 12:08 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe someone will chime in who remembers how to figure out which style of door locks. However, in a 5 wire reverse polarity (which ford likes using), if one wire is cut to the actuator, it will not work in either direction but just the one that is cut (I think is how it goes.) Hopefully this means that the actuator nearest the failing switch doesn't do anything. If you want to throw money at it, you can do both, but if you have a friend with a superduty, it would be cheaper to swap parts around until you found which one was bad and then replace just that part.

Mine is working, but I too have a short delay. The delay is worse if the truck has reached the battery saver mode, my first click doesn't do anything, the second and rest unlock all.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:51 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Careful that you don't get water on them from the window washer.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:33 PM
XLnAK
Senior User
The mention of water EXv10 is just what I was thinking. I'm looking into window visors for that reason. The door switches get royally flooded every rain or snow. They must be some what water resistant, but I'm sure water proof is a stretch. Whats washer fluid do? yikes.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:43 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by XLnAK
The mention of water EXv10 is just what I was thinking. I'm looking into window visors for that reason. The door switches get royally flooded every rain or snow. They must be some what water resistant, but I'm sure water proof is a stretch. Whats washer fluid do? yikes.
I ruined them on another car like that.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your charging system before you do anything else. I have an issue with one of my trailers that is hard on my system. I've been through three altenators before I pin pointed the problem. But back to your issue. I've had: A/C, Radio, Steering wheel butons acting up, windows not operating properly. All at different times, all cured with new batteries or altenator. I don't know if thats your problem, but it would be a shame since it's the easiest to check.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:56 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Yes, cars now days need x amount of volts for everything to function well.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 PM
volez
New User
I found it to be not enough power going through the actuator to allow the locks to go up and down. Researched it and located the "fix" for it. It has to do with the thermal resistor in the actuator motor. I posted a step by step photo on the fix in the album section

Old 07-26-2009, 11:14 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by volez
I found it to be not enough power going through the actuator to allow the locks to go up and down. Researched it and located the "fix" for it. It has to do with the thermal resistor in the actuator motor. I posted a step by step photo on the fix in the album section
So it is the same old problem? Thanks for the pics but did you discover that or get it from a previous post. Those resistors don't last very long. (Thermistors)

Old 09-03-2009, 01:28 PM
YellowSled
Elder User
so if one actuator goes bad, it messes up all of them?

Old 09-03-2009, 05:45 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by YellowSled
so if one actuator goes bad, it messes up all of them?
No. They go out one at a time.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:47 PM
YellowSled
Elder User
about a week and a half ago i parked my parents Ex (brand new battery) and today i drive it around and all the locks barely work. i hear them click, but they kinda just wiggle. when i parked it last week, everything was 100%

Old 09-03-2009, 06:06 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by YellowSled
about a week and a half ago i parked my parents Ex (brand new battery) and today i drive it around and all the locks barely work. i hear them click, but they kinda just wiggle. when i parked it last week, everything was 100%
They just wiggle right before they go out. Do they still have thermisters in them? If they bo they need to come out.

Quick Reply: Door lock problem on my 04'.