Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What do the tuners tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Bowie
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do the tuners tune?

I am interested in getting the DP tuner.
My questions:
  • What do these tuners do to the engine to make more power?
  • Does it hurt the engine?
  • Does it shorten the engines life?
  • I need to buy gauges from where?
  • What levels do I need to keep the under to make sure no damage is done to the engine?
  • Anything else I should consider?
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Notes: I did buy a 6.0 tranny cooler so that should help.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:17 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
A tuner should not hurt the engine or shorten its life, but it all depends on how hard you are (and whether or not you have gauges to monitor things). For gauges, I know Clay at Riffraff Diesel has some good deals going- I have and recommend Isspro's, the Performax is the way to go if you can swing the extra cost.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 AM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the key to protecting the engine with a tuner is to monitor your gauges. EGT under 1250F is the most important... also with stock engine, esp with PMR's 120-140 HP is the max you want to go....
PCM tuning can change all the engine parameters as well as transmission shift and Torque Converter characteristics.. Such things as injection timing, Mass Fuel Desired, Injector Control Pressure.. wastegate and exhaust backpressure, Injector pulse width... If you want more ideas about what actually can be changed, check out the PHP Minotaur forum Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software™ - Power Hungry Performance Forums
I believe SCT and Delta Force have discussion forums for their products too.. Though I can only comment on Minotaur as thats what I use... I haven't counted but there is probably a few hundred parameters that can be modified... though most tuning only needs to use a small percentage of those...
Any good tune should not have a significant effect on engine life...
I suggest you look at PHP Phoenix as an option to DP tuner... I love mine..
Power Hungry Performance - Feed your hunger for POWER! Check out our Gryphon Programmer for Ford vehicles!
DP tuner is a good product its my personal opinion that PHP is a better product for less $$... you will be happy with any of the tuners you go with, SCT, Tony Wildman, Heard good stuff about Swamps too.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:41 AM
jjenkins334
New User
Is there a benefit to using a tuner in an F-250 with a manual transmission? I see a lot of discussion on using tuners to change shift points, etc., but am not sure how much a tuner would do for a truck with a manual tranny.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:47 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
sure theres a benefit using a tuner with a manual tranny, more power is the benefit.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:48 AM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jjenkins334
Is there a benefit to using a tuner in an F-250 with a manual transmission? I see a lot of discussion on using tuners to change shift points, etc., but am not sure how much a tuner would do for a truck with a manual tranny.
Yes there is a difference...they are a lot easier to tune for due to not having to mess with transmission settings... you still get all the performance benefits of the engine tuning side. In fact many national brand tuners and programmers don't even change any of the transmission setting... reason why Banks for example sells its trans command unit separately... also why Edge got a reputation for killing trannys in the past

Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Bowie
Elder User
What does it due to the engine to make the horse power and torque?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:45 PM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Bowie
What does it due to the engine to make the horse power and torque?
as I stated in my previous post it does lots of things including "Such things as injection timing, Mass Fuel Desired, Injector Control Pressure.. wastegate and exhaust backpressure, Injector pulse width." etc. If you are not a seasoned tech or familiar with how engines produce power then you probably won't understand the previous sentence and will just have to take my word for it....