1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel additive question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:37 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Fuel additive question?

Are there any additives that make significant fuel mileage increases or power gains? I know you won't get 5 more mpg from and additive, but how about 1-2 mpg?

I was reading on another site that said to use a quart of TCW-3 2-stroke engine oil in every tank of fuel to add lubrication and mpg's. Also they were talking about "Lucas Fuel additive with upper cylinder lubricant" to help keep the system lubed. Any truth to these things?

Old 04-22-2009, 05:04 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...tive-test.html

Click on the link in post #2. It will give you all kinds of info on diesel fuel additives.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:08 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
That report and the thread are both very interesting readings, I don't know what to think though???

Old 04-22-2009, 07:00 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, in my opinion, if you're running a truck not designed to run on the ULSD of today, you probably should be using some kind of additive in the fuel for lubrication purposes. The ashless 2 cycle oil from walmart is a good cheap option. Don't know if I'd run it in a truck with an egr valve though. If you had something that adds both lubricity and cetane, that would help for sure, but I don't know how much. Have you done any mods to the truck? Intake, exhaust, a chip?

Old 04-22-2009, 07:09 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
Are there any additives that make significant fuel mileage increases or power gains? I know you won't get 5 more mpg from and additive, but how about 1-2 mpg?

I was reading on another site that said to use a quart of TCW-3 2-stroke engine oil in every tank of fuel to add lubrication and mpg's. Also they were talking about "Lucas Fuel additive with upper cylinder lubricant" to help keep the system lubed. Any truth to these things?
Many people here and in other forums, including myself, uses TCW-3 2-stroke engine oil. Maybe no tu much increase in mileage and power, but it add lubrication and some claim decrease in noise (as me = 3-5 less decibels).

Old 04-23-2009, 10:03 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
As far as mods go i have a K&N air filter ( yes i know now that they are bad and i am planning to get the 6637 kit from riffraff), killed cat and stole ear muffs, Edge chip (again i know), TC lock switch and EBPV switch.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:27 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i had a thread a while back where i compared some different additives on the same roads, same speeds, etc, and i found that the power service gray bottle worked best for me. i picked up about 3 mpg with it.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:33 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have mentioned this in the past and will do so once again. If you read the contents of the message before any testing was done there were a couple of important statements made.

1) All USLD fuel "Should" have an additive add to it by the supplier.

2) All of the tests were conducted on fuel:
"Before the additive was added"

The meaning of #2 is that the tests were run on "RAW DIESEL"

I would hope that all of the diesel made available to the consumers by now would have the additives added but why take the chance.

I use the 2 Stroke oil, 2 ounces per gal just as an "added insurance" that my fuel will contain some lubricity. If the additive has been added, no problem, but if it hasn't then at least I will have some lubricity from the
2 stroke oil.

I understand that there are additives out there that will produce a higher amount of lubricity particularly if it is used with RAW DIESEL. But as I said before, it's just insurance that some dork didn't ad the additive before the fuel left the supplier.

JMHO
Rog

Old 04-23-2009, 12:57 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

I have had a 94,97 and now an 02.I have been running DK and ATF in all of mine and have had great luck.I have seen a 1-2 mpg gain w/ the DK but that is about it.I use these basically for the lubrication and the added cleaner.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:14 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kawa
I have mentioned this in the past and will do so once again. If you read the contents of the message before any testing was done there were a couple of important statements made.

1) All USLD fuel "Should" have an additive add to it by the supplier.

2) All of the tests were conducted on fuel:
"Before the additive was added"

The meaning of #2 is that the tests were run on "RAW DIESEL"

I would hope that all of the diesel made available to the consumers by now would have the additives added but why take the chance.

I use the 2 Stroke oil, 2 ounces per gal just as an "added insurance" that my fuel will contain some lubricity. If the additive has been added, no problem, but if it hasn't then at least I will have some lubricity from the
2 stroke oil.

I understand that there are additives out there that will produce a higher amount of lubricity particularly if it is used with RAW DIESEL. But as I said before, it's just insurance that some dork didn't ad the additive before the fuel left the supplier.

JMHO
Rog
A important statement you seemed to miss.........

The U.S. standard
for diesel fuel says a commercially available diesel fuel
should produce a wear scar of
no greater than 520 microns.

The Engine Manufacturers Association
had requested a standard of a
wear scar
no greater than 460 microns, typical of the pre-ULSD fuels.
Most experts agree that a 520 micron standard is adequate, but also that
the lower the wear scar the better.

The more lube the less wear. Even if the US standard is met the manufactures is not. Some of us don't add the lube just in case some dork didn't we do it so our engines last longer. "The lower the wear scar the better"

Old 04-23-2009, 06:42 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru

Avoid Lucus it will make things worse as far as lube goes.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:30 PM
PAVEMENTMAN
Senior User
I have tried the wal-mart 2 cycle oil but i didnt see any difference in anything, I have been using stanadyne which is made for the powerstroke motor it seams to work pretty good, I am going to try the diesel kleen stuff soon to see if it works at all.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:30 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Originally Posted by scatgo
A important statement you seemed to miss.........

The U.S. standard
for diesel fuel says a commercially available diesel fuel
should produce a wear scar of
no greater than 520 microns.

The Engine Manufacturers Association
had requested a standard of a
wear scar
no greater than 460 microns, typical of the pre-ULSD fuels.
Most experts agree that a 520 micron standard is adequate, but also that
the lower the wear scar the better.

The more lube the less wear. Even if the US standard is met the manufactures is not. Some of us don't add the lube just in case some dork didn't we do it so our engines last longer. "The lower the wear scar the better"
scatgo:
Thank you for pointing that out but, I did not over look it, I, as well as you read the entire report and I also added at the end of my comments: JMHO
translated to "just My Humble Opinion". I am not trying to convert or convince anyone to do as I do. Ain't America great?

If you were to take into consideration my driving habits perhaps you would understand my logic a bit better.

1) I can live with the industry standards.
2) I very rarely ever empty both tanks where I would then be forced to fill both of them at the same station. By doing this I decrease my chances of ending up with both tanks containing "Untreated fuel" or "Contaminated Fuel."

In ending this before it turns into a pissing contest I want to apologize for using the term "Dork" as it appears that you took offense to that for what ever reason.

I do believe that a person that is placed into a position of treating vehicle fuel with an additive, and the absence of that additive would not only possibly endanger personal pickup type vehicles but the larger 18 wheelers that transport virtually everything that America uses, sells, builds, etc..... ......is in my humble opinion........A Dork.

Rog

Old 04-24-2009, 02:55 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are there any additives that make significant fuel mileage increases or power gains?
No, there are not. Remove the word significant and it moves up to "maybe". You'll see an odd post around claiming 1-2 MPG, but in my experience if you can get a repeatable .5-1 MPG increase from an additive you're doing well.

For me running B-5 biodiesel works the best, but since it has been markedly higher priced than #2 for more than a year I run my own concoction consisting of 8 oz. two cycle oil mixed with 5 oz. Howe's fuel conditioner.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:37 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Scott:
I haven't heard of Howe's Fuel Conditioner. Can you tell me something about it, what size container, price and where do you get it?

Thanks in advance.

Rog

Quick Reply: Fuel additive question?