6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

TorqShift Transmission - Information and Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:37 PM
speedyweasel
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Dimensional question for you guys since Google isn't helping me any... anyone know what the overall length of the TorqShift is and whether it would bolt up to a 335-series engine? (Yes, I realize I'd need a shift controller - just looking to see if the components would line up.)

TIA!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:06 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why put a TorqShift behind a 335 series?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
No, it won't bolt up without an adapter.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:18 PM
speedyweasel
Tuned
Thanks, Mark.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 PM
gordy cronk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans coolers in within the radiator and external coolers

i just have to add to the talk about the trans cooler in the rad and the one external of the rad. As a mechanic, having rebuilt transmissions, and having done various modifications to vehicles overall, the cooler that is within the engine radiator is there to keep the atf somewhat warm as in -35c weather, if you did not have it, the atf would become too thick to make it back to trans in time to lube needed bearings, shafts, fill clutches and ect. this is of course when you are flying down the highway at 100km/hr and have a fairly big external cooler for towing purposes. I have seen this happen when people who do not know what they are doing bypass the internal radiator cooler and just go with an external cooler, thinking that will help them when towing to not overheat trans. its fine in summer weather, but when 40 below, not so good. some vehices even have a thermostat in a trans cooler line that will only circulate thought the internal cooler untill its hot enough to need the external cooler.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by gordy cronk
i just have to add to the talk about the trans cooler in the rad and the one external of the rad. As a mechanic, having rebuilt transmissions, and having done various modifications to vehicles overall, the cooler that is within the engine radiator is there to keep the atf somewhat warm as in -35c weather
As a former automatic transmission engineer with several years of transmission cooling experience I can tell you that you are dead wrong. The cooler in the radiator *NEVER* warms the ATF passing through it.

I have measured the temperature of the ATF going into and coming out of the radiator cooler in ambient temperatures from -40°F to +115°F. At the same time I measured the engine coolant around the trans cooler inside the radiator.

When the car or truck was first started the coolant and ATF were the same temperature. As the vehicle ran the ATF warmed up faster than the coolant in the radiator. Not faster than the coolant in the engine, but the ATF cooler is not in the engine, is it? It is in the radiator AFTER the airflow over the radiator has already cooled the engine coolant.

At very cold temperatures, such as below 0°F, the radiator is VERY efficient. The coolant that has passed through the radiator is very close to ambient temperature. So if it's -35°F out, the coolant around the ATF cooler is going to be between -25°F and -30°F. How well will this warm up the transmission?

You're speculating what you think happens. It was my job to measure what was happening. I know, you're guessing.

I've worked with many technicians over the years. They respected me because I listened to their input. I respected those that kept an open mind and listened to those that had data to prove their point, whether or not the data fit their pre-conceived notions of what's happening. If you don't measure it and get real world data you don't know what happening. I spent years measuring it.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 PM
speedyweasel
Tuned
"In God We Trust. All others bring data."

Old 04-23-2012, 05:49 PM
gordy cronk
New User
sorry mark, you are right. i guess what i was trying to say is that, if it were not for the cooler inside the radiator, and you had just an external cooler, when it is very cold outside, the trans fluid may "gell" as i have heard some call it. supposedly it does not actually gell, but just gets thick enough to starve the trans of lubrication from lack of fluid flow. so i guess my thinking is that you need 2 coolers for all weather conditions, you could not have just an external cooler in very cold conditions, so at this point, the internal cooler in rad is preventing the trans fluid from becoming too cold to flow, am i thinking correctly here?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

No, not at all. The cooler in the radiator cools the trans fluid AT ALL TIMES. So if it's -35°F, and the cold fluid leaves the transmission for the trans cooler, when it leaves the trans cooler for the external cooler the ATF is COLDER than when it left the transmission. The cooler in the radiator does NOT add ANY heat to the ATF. None. It makes it colder than if there was no cooler in the radiator. The aux cooler makes it even colder yet.

When it is that cold it is very likely for the fluid to gel in the cooler. Having the cooler in the radiator will make this worse because it also cools the fluid. Not having a cooler in the radiator will make it slightly less likely to gel. The best way to prevent gelling is to run synthetic ATF when the vehicle is operated in below 0°F temperatures.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Mark; Trying to grasp this idea, and it makes sense..But is there a thermostat in the trans.that lets the oil into the coolers when it reaches a certain temp? And is the oil recirculating until that temp. is reached..
I notice my trans. warms up to about 165* and it pretty much stays close to that temp. during my driving conditions..I just like learning how these things operate so I know what is normal....Thanks for your input...Doug.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Yes, there is a thermostat in the TorqShift. It's nominal temperature is 165°F. Until the thermostat opens 10% of the normal flow goes to the cooler, the rest recirculates within the transmission.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Adam12
New User
Originally Posted by Jayybird
Fellas,
I posted the above info about my leak a while back. Since them I've had it fixed. Heres the conclusion just incase anyone else experiences this. There is a solenoid on our transmissions that switch the tranny from high pressure to low pressure and vice versa. (I do not know the details of how this works or when the tranny is suppose to switch back and forth...). Anyway, the solenoid went bad and was keeping the transmission in high pressure mode causing the fluid to "puke" out of the overflow vent (transmission was not over heating and the fluid level was correct making it a little confusing on why it would be puking out of the overflow vent). $150 dollars later with a new solenoid the problem was fixed. So, if anyone else experiences a leak be sure to check this out as well..
THANKS!
Where is this solenoid located? New to these torqshifts! mine seems to be doing the same thing..

Old 07-06-2012, 05:36 PM
suzuki_vinson
Senior User
Hey guys I just bought a 2006 powerstroke and on 3rd day of owning it the transmission starts acting up. I was bass fishing one day and when I got back to the dock I walked up started the truck put it in reverse.. about 5 seconds later it kicked in reverse. I went ahead and back the trailer to the water but every time i would brake the engine would die. Finally pulled the boat out of water and checked fluid and it smelt really burnt. I then drove about 5 miles home and truck rpm's kept hopping in overdrive and truck shifted from over drive back to i guess 4th gears several times. Any idea's on what it might be? I think the guy who sold me the truck new it had issues already and stuck it to me. Anyway I read this whole thread and did find alot of information and I appreciate any replies. Thanks so much

Old 07-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Given the cost of a new or rebuilt transmission I'd say you don't have much to lose by doing a swap of the fluid and filters, perhaps even a full hot flush at a dealership that's equipped with the correct equipment.

But it sounds like you did buy someone elses problem. Did you check the tranny fluid before you bought it??????? Did you get a warranty or was it an 'as-is' sale?

If you are looking at a rebuild I hear that Ford has a good option that comes with a pretty decent warranty that'll be honored nationwide.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:39 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
wait for Mark to reply hes the 5r110 guy around here.
but in the mean time I would suspect a converter issue at the very least

Quick Reply: TorqShift Transmission - Information and Troubleshooting