Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Grill Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 11:04 AM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Grill Mod

I liked what Chris (F350-6) did on his wifes vehicle so I thought I would give it a whirl so I painted my grill (not my braces for the smart allecks out there)

Started here:

Ready for paint:

The paint used:

The truck without grill but an extra inch of snow (Yuck):

And a couple shots of completed project:

All in all not bad. I was hoping it would look a little more like chrome but thats all right. Pretty cheap all around. About $8 in paint and a little tape and a scotchbrite pad. Should look nice in the rearview mirror of small cars at stoplights. lol

Old 04-05-2009, 11:11 AM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks AWESOME Jay!!

Old 04-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good man!! I'm going to try mine in white (leaving the original chrome). Should be interesting...

Old 04-05-2009, 11:16 AM
MX_Fyrcaptain
Senior User
That looks good Jay. I did something similar. let me know how your paint hold up. I found a plastic specific paint. I just hope that it hold up to the weather. It gets pretty hot in the summer.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
I like it Jay. I've been thinking about doing something to mine, getting tired of the same ol look...

Old 04-05-2009, 11:25 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Looks good, but just about anything looks better than the way the factory left it.

Just a couple of observations. The paint is labeled "Brilliant Silver" instead of chrome. It's also labeled as indoor. While a rattle can will never look like real chrome, maybe the chrome paint might have been a tad brighter. Also keep an eye on the paint to see if the sun makes the indoor one fade.

FYI to anyone else thinking about doing this. The Ford emblem can be removed from the grill to make the tape job easier. It just pushes out from the back side.

With those pics, I'm starting to feel bad about hiding in the house today. I thought it was too cold to go outside with a high of only 62 and 30 mph winds.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F350-6
Looks good, but just about anything looks better than the way the factory left it.

Just a couple of observations. The paint is labeled "Brilliant Silver" instead of chrome. It's also labeled as indoor. While a rattle can will never look like real chrome, maybe the chrome paint might have been a tad brighter. Also keep an eye on the paint to see if the sun makes the indoor one fade.

FYI to anyone else thinking about doing this. The Ford emblem can be removed from the grill to make the tape job easier. It just pushes out from the back side.

With those pics, I'm starting to feel bad about hiding in the house today. I thought it was too cold to go outside with a high of only 62 and 30 mph winds.
He has a silver truck, so maybe the intent was to match that, like I want to do with the white accent in there.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:36 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Izzy351
He has a silver truck, so maybe the intent was to match that, like I want to do with the white accent in there.
Apparently the color matching only looks right with some colors. We painted the wife's grill black last weekend (leaving the factory chrome) because she thought the black would look better. Whenever the wind quits blowing, guess who's painting it chrome again

I wasn't trying to be negative in my earlier post, just pointing out what I noticed.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Apparently the color matching only looks right with some colors. We painted the wife's grill black last weekend (leaving the factory chrome) because she thought the black would look better. Whenever the wind quits blowing, guess who's painting it chrome again

I wasn't trying to be negative in my earlier post, just pointing out what I noticed.
LMAO!!! Now you have me second-guessing myself on the white. I *think* it'll be okay, and if I go with white door handles (can they be painted too?) it might tie it all together nicely. I hope.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:50 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
LMAO!!! Now you have me second-guessing myself on the white. I *think* it'll be okay, and if I go with white door handles (can they be painted too?) it might tie it all together nicely. I hope.
Luckily it's not that hard to take it back out and paint it a different color if you don't like the white. The gloss black seems to look good on some of the lighter color trucks, it just didn't stand out on the black truck like it does on the others.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:55 AM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, even labeled chrome they still really are just "silver". I did not notice it said indoor. lol I should be ok since I clearcoated it though. I tried gently to pop off the emblem but did not want to break anything so I just left it.

Actually the truck is not silver. It is gold or whatever Ford calls it

Thanks for the compliments guys. I knew it would not technically look chrome, especially close up but thats ok.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by DieselCamper01
///SNIP///

Actually the truck is not silver. It is gold or whatever Ford calls it

Thanks for the compliments guys. I knew it would not technically look chrome, especially close up but thats ok.
Okay -- hard to tell from pics sometimes. People were calling Tenn's silver truck white for a long time... LMAO!!!

Old 04-05-2009, 12:08 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Very Nice jay. I like the looks of it.. Love the pictures to.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:11 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
i think the high gloss black grill looks good on my truck..but i have a lot of chrome out there too..

Old 04-05-2009, 12:14 PM
87 F-150 I6
Posting Guru
Nice, I like it, now I am interested to do the same but it sucks that mine is cracked underneath the grill insert that the first owner put on.

Quick Reply: Grill Mod