1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E4OD Year interchange/swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:04 AM
GABayne
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD Year interchange/swap

Hello,

I am a new user here and have searched, but not found any definite answers for this.

I have just purchased a 93 E350 with a 5.8L and the E4OD is toast. THe previous owners had the coolant line leak, and drove it until it quit moving. They fixed the line, but now there is no reverse, and the little forward that I have moved it seems to be really straining....something. I don't know if it is stuck in a higher gear, or if there is brake drag (the e-brake cable is dangling--I haven't got this far into fixing it yet.) I'm trying to get this going for my large family, and am exploring my options of reliability vs. the cost.

I know they're expensive to rebuild properly, and have read about many of the upgrades necessary for my 93 trans.

I am hoping that I can find a newer still working tranny from the salvage yard that at least has all the component updates, so if I do have to rebuild it next year or two, all I will need is a good converter and the clutch kit.

Will a newer trans work with the stock 'puter/plugins? I was hoping to get a 95/96 trans, and will one from a F-series with the same engine work too?

I'm in Michigan where these transmissions are really hard to find and have to be ordered in. Otherwise I could just go out and look at the stuff myself.

Thanks in advance for everyone's (and anyone's) help.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:50 AM
HAB
Senior User
I'm no expert on this by any means. But my 92 E-350 IDI NON-TURBO diesel has the same transmission. When it went out I asked about an upgrade and was told that it was impossible (NOT TRUE more later) due to the newer trannies relying upon the vans computer info for shift data. And different wiring harness. Have since found that you can order the later model of trans mission and get it with its own "stand alone computer" from a transmission specialty shop. The cost in 2007 was $6000.00 for the transmission alone. Way more than a 92 van is worth. Here is link= high-impact.net/badboye4od.htm

Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 PM
GABayne
New User
Thanks for the info, HAB. I was hoping to get out of this cheaply AND reliably. I think I am just going to to tear mine apart, and rebuild it hoping that none of the hard parts are fried. This is just a club wagon, and doesn't have a hitch on it so I don't think it has done any real hard time except maybe stop and go. I am lucky to be near to a college with a good automotive program that said they would rebuild this in class for the cost of the manual if they don't already have one. I'll just see if the basic reclutching/rebuild will get me by for another year or so, and try to save the money for the hard part upgrades.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:42 PM
HAB
Senior User
Mine was worked HARD and had to have a rebuild every 70 to 90 K. First one cost $1200, second was $1450, third was $1600, and now its got to have a total replacement. A replacement would cost more than the van is worth so it is now designated as the tool wagon.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:08 PM
GABayne
New User
So what happened to it that it needs to be completely replaced? I'm hoping to score an old one from a boneyard eventually that I can use for a spare, and start saving for all of the hard parts that need to be upgraded.

My local transmission parts shop has all of the upgraded components (with a 2 clutch converter) that will run me about 1200 with a rebuild kit. I figure if I can get free labor from the college, after I put all of the upgrades in it shouldn't blow up. Is there more to this transmission than I have figured out?

All of these parts would include a new solenoid pack, and the higher pressure pump.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 PM
HAB
Senior User
The Transmission shop (and they are very reliable) said that with 304,000 hard miles the case was just worn out. I used Her to haul heavy RVs for 10 years and 150,000 and retired Her to the farm for use hauling tractors, equipment, and hay wagons. Last year at 299,000 miles hooked Her up to a 26ft hay wagon, put on 11 round bales each weighing 1,400lbs, and went 45 miles to deliver. When started back knew it was time for another Tranny. Now I just use Her to check out pastures, hay fields and just cruse the farm. If your wondering why I don't use a truck its because I work/drive from a power wheelchair. Looking for a good used 95-2004 Powerstroke E-350 Van for a replacement. Got an 06 E-350 Powerstroke but it's still in RV hauling mode.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:03 AM
GABayne
New User
Thanks for all the info, HAB. I know from limited summer help on the farm that it is certainly hard work for both you and the van, so its glad to hear you are both getting around and still doing it. My father has limited mobility too, so I can imagine some of the challenges running a farm could be.

I got lucky and did find one real cheap from my local yard, had a E250 cargo that had been t-boned with the same year/eng/trans, and it looks like this guy has just been rebuilt. The fluid couldn't be any better straight out of the bottle, it is still clean from the rebuild and even the converter still has all of the very clean paper stickers on it without any Michigan bad weather/salt stuff on it. Even better, all of the other yards that didn't have one said they wanted about $600 for it, I stole this one for $250.

Thankfully for my van it will just be hauling around my six kids and a few of their friends from time to time, so I hope I won't be working the trans quite as hard as your application and should last just about as long as the body/engine will. I'm hoping to drive this one until the floor falls out from under us.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 AM
HAB
Senior User
"Steal" one for me next time.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 PM
wiscvanman
Junior User
read about a place called garys. think he was in ohio. he had stouter gears for these units. did some drag racing also. sorry i don't have the link any longer.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:08 PM
wiscvanman
Junior User
found it!!

this is the place i was thinkin' about

http://www.brianstruckshop.com/