window/regulator removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:12 PM
magicbus
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
window/regulator removal

I need some help, Im struggling to get the window and regulator out of the door from a 46 cab. It seems like the window needs to be separated from the regulator, but how?

Old 03-28-2009, 06:00 PM
magicbus
Junior User
Never mind- got it. There's 1 bolt that comes out at the base of the regulator to allow the 'arms' to come all the way down and off the track. Then the window must be turn lengthwise and lifted out towards the inside of the door.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:32 PM
46fordphil
Junior User
also having problem with window removal

Help please. I'm not sure which bolt you are talking about to release the arms. I have a 46 1/2 ton and am in the middle of taking it all apart to redo and repaint. Have the doors off but just can't figure out how to get the glass channels free of the rollers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. phil.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:19 PM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Here are some simple instructions:

Wind the window up within an inch or two of the top (closed) position.

Remove the screws which hold the regulator to the door. (And remove the inspection door).

Manually push down the window holding in the window crank extension to clear it's hole so that the regulator is fully visible in the inspection opening.

Put the window crank back on and wind the regulator so that the arms move to the outside and lower the window by hand to keep the regulator in the inspection opening. Note: stop when the window frame still is exposed 2-3 inches up in the window frame.

The arms on the regulator have rollers which will now slide off the end of the window track. First one side, then the other.

Remove the regulator through the inspection opening.

To remove window, push down on the front portion of the frame where the glass is angled and hold (or slighlty lift) the rear portion until the frame come out of the front channel. All of the is done with the back portion of the frame still visible (and holdable) within the window opening. DON'T LET GO!! You can also pull down on the front of the window frame from within the inspection opening if you have skinny arms and are slightly double jointed.

Then pull the glass and frame (rotated 90 deg.) back up through the window opening. If I remember correctly, it goes to the inside of the door.

Have fun and remember... No matter how nicely you finish the window frame, you will still nick it up putting the window back in, so be prepared not to get mad and take a hammer and crowbar to the door...

Old 06-06-2009, 07:17 AM
46fordphil
Junior User
Thanks for the help. I'm still not clear on your description in line 3 above. The crank extension is the square shaft that the handle turns on? It is now sticking out of its hole some 1". Are you saying I need to get it inside and have it come out into the inspection opening with the rest of the regulator? for I can't see if I have done that how then I can re-install the handle to crank back down the window. For now I'll give er a try this morning and see what comes. I presume that when all is done and I want to reinstall the window...I just reverse the process? Again thanks for great advice. phil.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:13 PM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
46fordphil....

Once you have removed the regulator screws and push the crank post back into the hole, manually push down on the window. The cranking of the regulator after this only moves the regulator arms in their slots in the bottom of the window frame to keep it visible and eventually removable (by sliding the arms out of the slots) through the inspection opening.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:34 PM
46fordphil
Junior User
Thanks ever so much. I went down to the garage after reading the post and it came out as advertised...probably took me 10 minutes. I had been trying all sorts of maneuvers to get the window and regulator out without success. Your method was just right. Another question tho...is there a particular way to get the metal channel that surrounds the window glass off the glass. I have new window glass and will need to refurbish the channel and get it onto the new glass. Your help has been great. Thanks again, phil.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:10 AM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
At each end of the bottom channel (rail) is a screw which mounts the channel to the upper frame. Use lots of WD40 and remove these screws. The lower channel will separate from the frame. You may have to tap the channel down off the bottom of the glass as the channel material has probably swollen over time. Do the same with the upper frame, being careful just to tap it about 3/8" away from the glass so you don't twist or bend the frame...

Glad I was able to help you get out the regulator and window.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:31 AM
46fordphil
Junior User
I had noted the screws and already had them soaking in penetrant. Just wasn't sure how the whole thing fit together and didn't want to screw up the channels. The doors are off being blasted and the regulators and latches have been bead blasted and painted, so hopefully all will go back together soon. I know I would never have figured out the regulator puzzle without help. Thanks again. phil.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:11 AM
HermanTheGerman
Junior User
It's an old thread, but we all have old trucks

Is this the same for a '40 1.5 ton? I wanted to prepare my doors for welding, but had problems (or better: no idea) to remove the windows.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:52 PM
newold46
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
It should be the same.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:50 AM
HermanTheGerman
Junior User
It's the same and it worked fine.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:41 PM
FreddyB
New User
Hello, I am trying to fish the door latch assembly out of my '47 truck, but it appears to be threaded through some arms on the window/regulator assembly that make it not possible to do.

Do I need to follow the previous instructions to remove the window/regulator to get it out?

I would probably need to do that anyway to clean up the regulator and replace the window. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Old 08-31-2015, 07:49 PM
bernette
Cargo Master
Received 139 Likes on 100 Posts
i don,t think theres any threads. if i recall its just square, but on my truck the edges had rounded up. i had a bit of a problem pulling it out. i would hole handle at 90 degree ,while pulling and wiggling. and it came out! i rebuilt the square stock with weld. now door handle works much better,i even heated the square stock and twisted it so handle stays at 90 degree.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:49 AM
HermanTheGerman
Junior User
The door latch mechanism was the last thing I removed from the door, after window regulator and window was out. I remember that it looked threaded for me, too, but it should go out with window in place.
Cause I still have to disassemble the driver door, I'll try to remove the door latch first and let you know.

Quick Reply: window/regulator removal