Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Camper tie downs

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:01 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Camper tie downs

I just picked up a 10ft camper and i was wondering if i have to drop the fuel tank to put the front tie down on on the drivers side. thanks for any advice guys. Roy

Old 03-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Full Throttle
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cps,

I would check into the newer styles of tie down's. My father-in-law has a bar mounted in the front of his box that attaches his camper to the truck. That way, you do not have any external tie down points.

FT

Old 03-18-2009, 11:16 PM
lance195
Freshman User
what type of tie down are you using bolted to the frame or "J" hook style ?

Old 03-18-2009, 11:28 PM
CharGriller
Senior User
Roy first determine how you want to mount the camper. There are frame mounts for the front (like Torqlifts) or you can use the ones mentioned earlier. I just now mounted my 8 ft. S&S SC on my new truck (2000 F-350 Dually) it's been on a little over a week now. I have the bar mounted in the front of the box that acts like a stiffener to keep the bed from flexing. The rear of mine is attached to studs in the rear bumper. I have a SuperHitch receiver hitch that would allow me to use the out riggers off the frame hitch if I chose.

Your camper is bigger and and you may want to use a frame mount set up. I chose an 8 ft. Because I didn't want to deal with a hitch extension towing our bumper pull horse trailer.

Another consideration to check before you back under the camper is to make sure the taller cab of the SuperDuty/SuperCab will fit under the overhang without contacting the cab or clearance lights. I was forced to build a sandwich spacer to lift my camper up so I would have adequate clearance over the cab and cab lights.

Here is a pic of my truck..... were the same year. if you look closely you can see both the front and rear tie downs.

Tom Dually With Camper

Old 03-19-2009, 09:56 AM
cps
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by lance195
what type of tie down are you using bolted to the frame or "J" hook style ?
I have a set of "j" hooks for the front of the box but it looks like the fuel tank could be an issue with these style of tie downs.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:04 AM
cps
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by CharGriller
Roy first determine how you want to mount the camper. There are frame mounts for the front (like Torqlifts) or you can use the ones mentioned earlier. I just now mounted my 8 ft. S&S SC on my new truck (2000 F-350 Dually) it's been on a little over a week now. I have the bar mounted in the front of the box that acts like a stiffener to keep the bed from flexing. The rear of mine is attached to studs in the rear bumper. I have a SuperHitch receiver hitch that would allow me to use the out riggers off the frame hitch if I chose.

Your camper is bigger and and you may want to use a frame mount set up. I chose an 8 ft. Because I didn't want to deal with a hitch extension towing our bumper pull horse trailer.

Another consideration to check before you back under the camper is to make sure the taller cab of the SuperDuty/SuperCab will fit under the overhang without contacting the cab or clearance lights. I was forced to build a sandwich spacer to lift my camper up so I would have adequate clearance over the cab and cab lights.

Here is a pic of my truck..... were the same year. if you look closely you can see both the front and rear tie downs.

Tom Dually With Camper
Did you make the bar for the front tie downs or did you buy something. I never really thought about the height of the cab, i better bring some 2x6s just in case when i pick it up. Thanks for info.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:55 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had my camper tie downs attached directly to the frame on the front. (welded to the trailer hitch on the back)... For a 10 foot, i would suggest this method.. Not shown in the pic's are the slide in attachment square bars..

Attached Images   
Old 03-19-2009, 12:16 PM
CharGriller
Senior User
The front mount cross bar was present when I bought my dually. However I made my own crossbar for my 1989 F-250 out of 1x2 rectangular tubing. It's a very easy DIY, and keeps the camper torque from twisting or flexing the box. So much more rigidity. Very well worth the effort. All you need is the tubing, hacksaw, drill and a can of black rattle paint.

EDIT: Of course the crossbar isn't necessary with the frame mounts.